10-10-2012, 11:13 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
UPS dropped off my delivery from Truefitt & Hill this afternoon. She's a style 1 medium in faux horn and digital calipers measure her at 24.95mm knot just above the handle and 49.58 loft. Sadly since I am having plumbing issues I won't get to try her out until tomorrow night or possibly Friday. Angry I've been wanting a medium sized Rooney and this seemed the most cost efficient way to do it, not to mention I like the T&H block lettering much better than the new Rooney script. I feel it was a steal at $84 shipping included and a free little drawstring sack full of samples to boot!

Next to the Colonel for scale.

31 1,510
 10-10-2012, 11:17 AM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
Very Nice!
Is that the silvertip or the Rooney best?

19 591
 10-10-2012, 11:24 AM
User Info
I don't want to rain on your parade or burst your bubble, but Mark stated pretty clearly that Rooney didn't make T&H or DRH brushes. edit: Okay, he didn't mention T&H specifically, but they're basically the same brush. http://shavenook.com/thread-d-r-harris-h...7#pid95257

That said, having M&F Silvertip & trying a T&H, you got a better knot. It has more hair.

9 2,988
 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-10-2012, 11:17 AM)P Funk Wrote: Very Nice!
Is that the silvertip or the Rooney best?

Silvertip

31 1,510
 10-10-2012, 11:37 AM
User Info
Nice looking brush, let us know how you get on with it .............when your plumbing is sorted.......

3 198
 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-10-2012, 11:24 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: I don't want to rain on your parade or burst your bubble, but Mark stated pretty clearly that Rooney didn't make T&H or DRH brushes. edit: Okay, he didn't mention T&H specifically, but they're basically the same brush. http://shavenook.com/thread-d-r-harris-h...7#pid95257

That said, having M&F Silvertip & trying a T&H, you got a better knot. It has more hair.

I still suspect it is Rooney, there are a lot of similarities and the box is the exact same box my Rooney 3/1 came in..of course boxes can be faked. Oh well, it's very nice quality and has good heft, the knot is the perfect size for my taste and the hairs are dense and soft. Hell in the end all the hair all comes from the same place anyway, everything else is just the name, prestige and overcharged fluff from the manufacturer..Simpson LE's and Plisson are prime examples. I just hope it isn't a shedder, I've had terrible luck with brushes lately.

31 1,510
 10-10-2012, 12:46 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Byron, perfectly stated. It's about the hair. I believe yours is a 1/2 and for that price you have a lather machine on the cheap. I am more careful with my 'LE' type brushes but you have a workhorse that is starting a new job tomorrow. Good show.

42 1,041
 10-10-2012, 01:24 PM
User Info
I don't know who makes T & H brushes. However, I was at the Chicago T & H store this past weekend and looked at their brushes. They had one brush that was priced at $139 and looked almost identical to a large Rooney Style 1. They also had a selection of M & F brushes.

37 2,923
 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM
User Info
That they have M&F brushes is interesting. What did they sell?

9 2,988
 10-10-2012, 08:02 PM
User Info
Bryon, congratulations and enjoy the brush!

75 20,883
 10-11-2012, 03:42 AM
User Info
Byron, congratulations on a very cool brush.

I have the same knot in a 3/2 handle.

Once it opens up after a few lathers it will provide a lovely mix of density, good flow, soft face-feel and it simply looks great on the shelf!

Even though the Plumbing Gods are messing with you, you'll be rewarded with a marvelous brush.

3 452
 10-11-2012, 04:44 AM
User Info
Let me know how that Silvertip compares with our Best would you?

You can PM me if you wish.

They look pretty similar in appearance.

Thanks,

Mark

1 630
 10-11-2012, 08:24 AM
User Info
I own that exact handle in a Rooney Style 1 Size 2 in 3-Band Silvertip.

They look VERY similar to each other. Did I say VERY SIMILAR Wink

I paid $94 for mine at VintageBlades.

Have yet to test it though Sleepy as I anxiously await my beautiful Duke 3 Manchurian ButterScotch from Mark (Simpson), so I'm working on getting a couple days stubbles to see how that Manchurian hair will feel on my face with some days of stubble.

But based on the entire selection of TF&H brushes in their US website, I'm willing to bet you, that Lee S makes these brushes. Or they have a copycat doing the job for them (using the exact same handles as Lee S does with the Rooneys)

Everything is possible - you never know for sure, which s why I got the 'real' Rooneys at VintageBlades instead of buying the ones at the TF&H store at lower prices and with the 15% B&B discount on top of that.......

OT :blahblah2:
Still to this day can't figure out who makes the new version of Thiers Issars brushes by the way.
Mine came with the same note with instructions I got with all my Simpsons, but in a box that makes me think of Rooney. I guess I will never know. The hair feels like a prickly but high quality 3-Band Silvertip, could be 3-Band Best hair from Simpson, but rumors suggest Plisson could be behind as it says made in France on the brush handle, which by the way is beautiful genuine horn in blonde brown.
Need Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watsons's assistance Biggrin

22 5,044
 10-11-2012, 08:29 AM
User Info
Very nice brush. I have a couple Rooney style 1 brushes, and they feel quite good in my hand.

183 12,002
 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(10-10-2012, 11:13 AM)Arcadies Wrote: I feel it was a steal at $84 shipping included and a free little drawstring sack full of samples to boot!

Hi Byron

That's a very! nice looking brush and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it once you've used it...

I've settled on the same brush but with the ivory handle and hope to obtain it by years end.

Hope you don't mind me asking, did you make use of TSH.com 15% discount code? If yes, how did you manage to get the brush for $84 including shipping?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 10-11-2012, 12:36 PM
User Info
(10-11-2012, 04:44 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: Let me know how that Silvertip compares with our Best would you?
They look pretty similar in appearance....

Mark,
The T&H brushes I've had in my possession, the hair seemed very similar to your Vulfix Silvertip.

In fact, upon browsing the websites, T&H seems to use the same nomenclature to delineate the lines. Are they just copying you?

Question: How long has T&H had their brush line for? This brush style is pretty old right?

9 2,988
 10-11-2012, 12:50 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Nice brush!

Rain notwithstanding...

Good grief.

29 466
 10-11-2012, 02:17 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Thanks everyone! We just finished and got everything done today, I'll be showering/shaving and taking the T&H out for it's maiden voyage later tonight since I am normally a night shaver and also the hot water heater needs time to play catchup. I am expecting massive bloom and extreme softness, just hope there isn't too much flop. I'll report back later with a post bloom pic.

(10-11-2012, 11:21 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hope you don't mind me asking, did you make use of TSH.com 15% discount code? If yes, how did you manage to get the brush for $84 including shipping?

Take care, Mike

I am curious about that myself, honestly I didn't realize we had a code for the Nook until reading your post. I used B&B's code and for some reason free shipping was included in spite of the total being under $100. Perhaps it was a glitch in their system, all I know is I'm not complaining!

31 1,510
 10-11-2012, 05:20 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I just finished shaving with the T&H, I planned on waiting another 2-3 hours but hot water came back quicker than I expected and having not shaved since Monday night and also having this brush waiting on me, I couldn't wait any longer. I did a palm lather with shampoo first, something I always do with a new brush to remove any possible oils or other funk that might interfere with my lather or possibly eat my face. Tongue

I wanted to test it's ability to lather hard soaps, something that is a must for me, so with that in mind I grabbed my dish of DR Harris Lavender and went to town on the dry puck with a gently squeezed out knot for about 20 seconds, kind of a short load for DRH but I wanted to see what I could get, I palm lathered it and the result (first pic) matched if not exceeded my more "stiff" soap eaters. In spite of it being Sticktober (I can't just flush creamy Harris goodness down the drain!) I decided to shave with it, awesome shave and the brush was just a delight on the face.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, the softness is very similar to my old Rooney 3/1 Super..most of my badger brush experience has been 2-band/finest (TGN/M&F) and the more scritchy short lofted type silvertips like Simpsons Best...which I love but have been wanting something a little more luxurious but still not being a total mop and this fits the bill. The velvet soft tips enveloped my face, almost caressing it and the heat retention was amazing..it was like a small heater was hiding in the knot. It is extra soft, so soft in fact that it gives the perception of a little flop, especially if you're used to hardcore uber backbone brushes..it's far from a wet noodle and doesn't affect it's performance at all.

Bottom line is I still love my more scritchy brushes but this will get regular use in my rotation as I find myself preferring softer brushes more and more as time goes by and I am more than happy with it, especially at the price I received it.

DR Harris

Bloom

Post bloom comparison with Simpson Colonel and M&F 1/1

31 1,510
 10-11-2012, 05:47 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Very nice brush.

I think Rooney makes them. Why doesn't someone ask Lee Sabini?

Been thinking about giving a 1/2 Silvertip a try myself. What a bargain at $84. A Duke 3 Best now costs $115.

43 1,690