08-19-2022, 08:52 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I just read an interesting use for petroleum jelly. The advice was meant to keep carts shaving better longer, ie. put a dab of petroleum jelly on the blades then wipe the jelly off with a dry, soft cloth leaving a thin film of PJ. 

Does anyone do this with DE, SE or Str8 razors? I'm guessing yes for Str8s put in storage to avoid rust but never heard of using PJ on other blades.

0 609
 08-19-2022, 11:31 AM
User Info
Any contact with the shaving edge is potentially detrimental to the integrity of said edge, you can't wipe it without touching it, so, no.

0 605
 08-21-2022, 05:19 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(08-19-2022, 11:31 AM)TobyC Wrote: Any contact with the shaving edge is potentially detrimental to the integrity of said edge, you can't wipe it without touching it, so, no.

I agree. 

I haven't tried it but stropping is touching but there is a lot of steel in a Str8 or a knife.

Several members have mentioned that hand stropping a DE blade improves the blade's performance and durability. 

Never tried hand stropping either as I go one and done with DE blades. The hand stropping intrigues me after hearing about using PJ on a blade. Maybe it's a coating of the oils on your hand that is improving the shave and not that your skin is sharpening the blade or removing the manufacturer's coating?

0 609
 08-21-2022, 08:32 AM
User Info
Put the pj on your face.

0 605
 08-21-2022, 12:22 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Several members have mentioned that hand stropping a DE blade improves the blade's performance and durability. 

This got me started with the practice, now I do it with every blade. 6 laps on each edge. If I’m going to use the blade for a second shave I strop it twice on each edge for the next shave. As I’m cleaning and drying my razor after shaving, it takes another 5 seconds.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=40056

22 6,984
 08-23-2022, 05:43 PM
User Info
I Use a cork to run the blade through it. Any wine, champagne cork would do the trick. Sometimes, I cork a fresh Feather before using it. Helps in deburring the edges Feather is notoriously famous for.

Sent from my V2040 using Tapatalk

4 1,429