08-20-2022, 04:54 PM
User Info
I have used this razor many times since I got it, it has been my main go to razor at the moment. Granted, it is still new, but I do believe it's going to be around a while. It is a perfect combination of efficiency and smoothness for me and it also gives great feedback during the shave. This was the razor that I had some difficulty picking a base plate for based on their references to blade gap and exposure. On paper, the C plate looked like the right one for me, but it turned out to be just a little bit too mild for my taste. So, I skipped the D and went straight to the E plate on a 3.5" handle. This one is perfect for me, but could be heavy for some users at 113g/4oz in weight. Now, on to the shave!!!

The razor feels really good in the hand, and as you can probably notice by looking, it has a fantastic grip and feels very secure. I don't see a big likelihood of this one slipping out of your hand. My last shave, I put up against 11 days of growth. I paired it up with a Bolzano Superinox blade and the shave was almost effortless. Efficient and smooth, it removed the growth on the first pass very easily and with zero tugging. I was also very surprised at how close I was able to get on the first pass with so much growth. If this shave was for something where I definitely needed to be somewhere and look clean-shaven, one pass definitely achieved this. Depending on how close you like to get, one pass would certainly be enough, especially with less growth. As usual, I opted for my 3, technically 2.5 pass method.

As you can probably tell from my write up, I really love this razor. I really didn't have any particular interest in any of their razors, but when I saw this one with the brass and copper it caught my interest. I'm really glad I bought it because it's one of my favorites right now. It looks great, it performs great, for me it's a perfect combination of smoothness and efficiency. And for what I believe the conversion rate was at the time, at about $117 USD, I feel like the razor is a steal. That price also included the slightly under $7 shipping from Canada.

[Image: ClfqkGZ.jpg][Image: EHIdLGd.jpg][Image: nVmyK4w.jpg][Image: Uzf7rlh.jpg]

6 1,006
 08-20-2022, 05:19 PM
User Info
Mike, thanks for a useful review.  I recall you trying to figure out what plate to get, and am glad the E plate worked out so well for you.

60 12,066
 08-20-2022, 05:43 PM
User Info
(08-20-2022, 05:19 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Mike, thanks for a useful review.  I recall you trying to figure out what plate to get, and am glad the E plate worked out so well for you.

Thanks, Ricardo! Yes, the E plate works well for me. I'm very happy with it.

6 1,006
 08-20-2022, 08:06 PM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
Good write up.  Thanks Mike!

0 313
 08-20-2022, 08:16 PM
User Info
(08-20-2022, 08:06 PM)Chappy Wrote: Good write up.  Thanks Mike!

Thank you, Chappy!!! I have spent a lot of time with this razor over multiple shaves and have definitely fallen in love with it. I absolutely enjoy using it.

6 1,006
 08-21-2022, 04:47 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Thanks for your review, Mike. It’s great when you find a razor that you really love using!

It seems Canada is a leader in razor manufacturing nowadays. Quite a few outfits there are making safety razors.

22 6,705
 08-21-2022, 04:58 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
congrats on finding "THE 1".  Your joy in finding the razor is very inspiring. 

Has anyone written Zen in the Art of Wetshaving? The quest for that combo of products that produces the perfect shave must be addressed as a noble occupation. Much like a knight finding his sword. 
Wield it well Sir Mike.

0 605
 08-21-2022, 09:41 AM
User Info
(08-21-2022, 04:47 AM)chazt Wrote: Thanks for your review, Mike. It’s great when you find a razor that you really love using!

It seems Canada is a leader in razor manufacturing nowadays. Quite a few outfits there are making safety razors.

Thanks, Charlie!!! Yes, it What team Canada’s doing some good things. This is definitely an attractive, well-built razor that also happens to be quite affordable.

6 1,006
 08-22-2022, 04:08 PM
User Info
(08-21-2022, 04:58 AM)RyznRio Wrote: congrats on finding "THE 1".  Your joy in finding the razor is very inspiring. 

Has anyone written Zen in the Art of Wetshaving? The quest for that combo of products that produces the perfect shave must be addressed as a noble occupation. Much like a knight finding his sword. 
Wield it well Sir Mike.

Thank you, sir!!! It would be an interesting book and a constantly evolving one. It is an adventure finding the right razors, blades, creams, etc. that work together best. I have found in my approximately 12 years of doing this, that things often can change.

For my shave yesterday, I went for a razor that used to be one of my go to razors. The Rockwell 6C with plate number three. It was a razor I used to go to frequently sometime ago. I decided to give it a shot yesterday because it's been a while, and now it feels way too mild for me. I'm not really sure what the reason is, but I also didn't get the BBS shave but I typically get with most of my razors in three passes. I even did a fourth pass just on my face/cheeks and I still couldn't achieve it. I had to grab a different razor to get the result I wanted. And I'm quite sure I was getting BBS shaves with it before, because I typically achieve that when I do three passes with just about any razor.

So, I don't think the adventure ever really ends.

6 1,006
 08-22-2022, 05:43 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
You’re used to more efficient razors now, Mike. Use it again a few times in the next week or so. You’ll get it back.

22 6,705
 08-23-2022, 02:30 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(08-22-2022, 05:43 PM)chazt Wrote: You’re used to more efficient razors now, Mike. Use it again a few times in the next week or so. You’ll get it back.

I've noticed that when going back to an old fave that hasn't been in rotation for a while that there is often a period of adjustment to bring back the shave you remember. The 6C was my #1 for a long time but now I am using aluminum razors more often with the RR Al Lupo leading the pack. The difference in weight is the obvious challenge but the change in geometry is more subtle and often requires a couple of shaves to get the sweet angle established in muscle memory again.

0 605
 08-23-2022, 04:42 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(08-23-2022, 02:30 AM)RyznRio Wrote:
(08-22-2022, 05:43 PM)chazt Wrote: You’re used to more efficient razors now, Mike. Use it again a few times in the next week or so. You’ll get it back.

I've noticed that when going back to an old fave that hasn't been in rotation for a while that there is often a period of adjustment to bring back the shave you remember. The 6C was my #1 for a long time but now I am using aluminum razors more often with the RR Al Lupo leading the pack. The difference in weight is the obvious challenge but the change in geometry is more subtle and often requires a couple of shaves to get the sweet angle established in muscle memory again.

You should try an old Tech A6

22 6,705
 08-23-2022, 04:42 PM
User Info

I definitely am. I am sure I used to get the shaves I like with the Rockwell before. I'm not sure what I did or didn't do that I couldn't get that result this time.

6 1,006
 08-26-2022, 10:10 AM
User Info
Great review Mike, and that Karve is one classy razor.

0 299
 08-26-2022, 01:37 PM
User Info
(08-26-2022, 10:10 AM)Uncas Wrote: Great review Mike, and that Karve is one classy razor.

Thanks!!! It is a beautiful razor.

6 1,006
 08-26-2022, 04:06 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Good review - I enjoy my Karve when it comes up - I settled on an E plate as well, albeit open combed (I started at D).  And you are right, the price is great and probably the best value around in a modern razor, especially made this side of the Pacific ..

84 950
 08-26-2022, 04:32 PM
User Info
(08-26-2022, 04:06 PM)garyg Wrote: Good review - I enjoy my Karve when it comes up - I settled on an E plate as well, albeit open combed (I started at D).  And you are right, the price is great and probably the best value around in a modern razor, especially made this side of the Pacific ..

Thanks, Gary!!! I considered picking up an open complete considering they’re quite affordable. Most likely if I pick up another razor sometime soon, I might pick up an open comb as well. And there is no doubt, it is definitely a fantastic value in a modern safety razor.

6 1,006