09-10-2022, 06:08 AM
User Info
Just finished up this wood handle 480. This one was more of a challenge for me due to being unable to remove the ferrule without damaging. Not being able meant I was unable to smooth out and clean up the wood at the base of the ferrule like I would have preferred but in the end I think it still came out looking pretty good.

Originally had a boar knot so plan to replace with same.

[Image: 9wz1ukL.jpg]
[Image: 5pfJW7U.jpg]
[Image: Xgyfx3n.jpg]

156 4,363
 09-10-2022, 08:06 AM
  • Wolf
  • Valencia, Spain
User Info
That's great, it's a pleasure to see the restorations you do.

0 655
 09-10-2022, 08:17 AM
User Info
(09-10-2022, 08:06 AM)Wolf Wrote: That's great, it's a pleasure to see the restorations you do.

Thank you Pedro! Much appreciated.

156 4,363
 09-10-2022, 10:40 AM
User Info
Well done, as always.

60 12,322
 09-10-2022, 12:34 PM
User Info
Thank you Ricardo

156 4,363
 09-10-2022, 01:16 PM
User Info
Fine job!  Thumbsup

I've had a few where either the ferrule has shrunk with age or someone glued it with a vengeance, you just have to go with the hand you're dealt.

One way to deal with it is to slip the largest hole saw that will fit inside the ferrule with the pilot removed and cut it out. After you do the handle just glue a plastic ring on the handle first and then glue on the ferrule. No one will ever know, and if it was a shrinking ferrule it will relieve the pressure and prevent the inevitable split. I've had to do 2 or 3 that way.

0 605
 09-10-2022, 01:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-10-2022, 01:16 PM)TobyC Wrote: Fine job!  Thumbsup

I've had a few where either the ferrule has shrunk with age or someone glued it with a vengeance, you just have to go with the hand you're dealt.

One way to deal with it is to slip the largest hole saw that will fit inside the ferrule with the pilot removed and cut it out. After you do the handle just glue a plastic ring on the handle first and then glue on the ferrule. No one will ever know, and if it was a shrinking ferrule it will relieve the pressure and prevent the inevitable split. I've had to do 2 or 3 that way.

Toby, do you restorations of any other cool things?

22 6,984
 09-10-2022, 01:58 PM
User Info
(09-10-2022, 01:52 PM)chazt Wrote:

Well, I've done many things over the years, old tools, guns, relatively small wood furniture and boxes, even a '56 Dodge. For years I rebuilt old mobile homes for a company I worked for. Kinda my thing I guess, but no pix to share unfortunately, I guess that's not my thing.  Biggrin

0 605
 09-10-2022, 02:00 PM
User Info

Nice! Thanks for the tip. I'll remember that going forward.  Thumbup

156 4,363
 09-10-2022, 03:30 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
Beautiful resto job.  Love it.

0 921
 09-10-2022, 04:13 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-10-2022, 01:58 PM)TobyC Wrote:
(09-10-2022, 01:52 PM)chazt Wrote:

Well, I've done many things over the years, old tools, guns, relatively small wood furniture and boxes, even a '56 Dodge. For years I rebuilt old mobile homes for a company I worked for. Kinda my thing I guess, but no pix to share unfortunately, I guess that's not my thing.  Biggrin

Very cool. I’ll bet you use old tools to restore the old tools. Tangentially, the Martin guitar company used to use the old molds , not sure if that’s the correct word , longer after the original specs had morphed over time. These headstock pics are from the web.

1940s
[Image: bjCt4po.jpg]

1970s
[Image: 2vFKeJT.jpg]

Modern, retooled
[Image: 2TXjaNe.jpg]

Apologies, for the hijack Freddie.

I dig your work! You’ve got skillsSisi

22 6,984