10-10-2012, 07:25 PM
User Info
I ordered 250 Personna Med Prep blades from emsdiasum.com for $44 plus shipping. I even called to complete the order over the phone because their website didn't show the shipping cost and it wasn't clear whether the blades shown were labs or med preps. I asked specifically for confirmation that they were indeed Med Preps that said "For Hospital Use" and I was told they were. When they arrived, they were Labs. I called today and they agreed to refund my money and original shipping costs, but I still had to pay over $5 for return shipping. $44 would have been a GREAT deal for the Med Preps, but you can get Labs for the same price on Amazon plus free shipping.

I have now ordered what should be actual Personna Med Preps from RobbinsInstruments.com for $55 plus $5.50 shipping. I will confirm whether they are indeed Med Preps after they arrive. At this price for 250 blades, they will still only be about $.24/ea.

18 242
 10-10-2012, 08:11 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
YMMV, this controversial topic comes up often, they are the same blades. I will let you find out for yourself as I have stopped using both. In my quest to find out which one was better, I have found no difference whatsoever between them.

88 4,233
 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM
User Info
(10-10-2012, 08:11 PM)beartrap Wrote: YMMV, this controversial topic comes up often, they are the same blades. I will let you find out for yourself as I have stopped using both. In my quest to find out which one was better, I have found no difference whatsoever between them.

+1...According to the company, the only difference is that the Meds go through a sterilization process.

They are in my overhyped, under performing list.

5 938
 10-10-2012, 08:21 PM
User Info
+1 Steve, same blade, just additional washing after the manufacture for the Med Preps.

I have the MPs (got 'em for a good price), but if I didn't and was shopping around if I could save $ on lab blades I'd get them and wouldn't look back. In fact after testing lab blues I put the remaining test blades in with my Med Preps.

32 6,308
 10-10-2012, 08:26 PM
User Info
i also could not tell the difference and did not enjoy the blades, but, YMMV.
Good luck.

75 20,883
 10-11-2012, 07:46 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I also could not tell the difference between meds and labs. Both were the same and not all that great for me. Not bad, but not great. I enjoy Super Max Super Platinums way more for the same price as labs go for. YMMV, of course. Many people love these blades.

25 1,705
 10-11-2012, 08:03 AM
User Info
I have tried both and could not tell the difference.

15 316
 10-11-2012, 02:10 PM
User Info
I have both and cannot tell the difference. As stated above, the only difference between the two is that one is sterilized more throughly than the other so it can be used for pre-op shaving.

129 6,685
 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM
User Info
+ however many it is to what everyone is saying. No difference. I will say that I have found them to be a good blade for me. A nice balance between sharpness and smoothness. I've recently discovered Rapiras though, and I'm thinking they may have them beat... but just barely.

4 253
 10-11-2012, 02:31 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
To me they are the same blades both made in the U.S. I think its all marketing ASRCO (Personna) uses to distribute the blades either to hospitals or labs. Mine were bought from Robbins and they do say "for hospital use"

The bottom line is these are very good blades that perform outstandingly.

100 12,438
 10-11-2012, 06:55 PM
User Info
I could tell a difference between the meds and the labs, but I am willing to admit that it might be just because I wanted to perceive a difference so I did.

4 309
 10-11-2012, 06:57 PM
User Info
I don't know where this sterilization idea came about, but the med preps are NOT sterilized. The person who posted on the other forum a while back stated that ASR told him tha they only difference was an additional cleaning step, not a sterilization step. Were they sterile, they would be individually sealed, not just wrapped, and it would say right on the package that they were sterile.

0 836
 10-11-2012, 07:13 PM
User Info
I didn't mean to reignite a controversial topic. I just wanted to inform anyone looking specifically for Med Preps (whether different from Labs or not, other than the obvious labeling of "For Hospital Use") of my experience so that no one has to duplicate it.

18 242
 10-11-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
Here's a thought that just occured to me. If the Meds are only cleaned an extra time, how in the heck does that warrant twice the price? That's ridiculous! Not saying that info must be wrong then, just pointing out something that's outta wack. I betcha if anything, it's the typical highly inflated markup charged in the medical/healthcare industry simply because they can.

Bullfeathers I tell ya!

4 253
 10-11-2012, 07:42 PM
User Info
(10-11-2012, 07:38 PM)CyberJCM Wrote: Here's a thought that just occured to me. If the Meds are only cleaned an extra time, how in the heck does that warrant twice the price?

Product pricing takes into account what the market will bear as much as it does (or even more so) the cost to actually make the product.

0 836
 10-14-2012, 04:00 AM
User Info
I have used both for an extended period of time. Now I just use the Labs. Same blades.

27 353
 10-14-2012, 04:53 PM
User Info
Med prep blades are for hospital use only. The company will not sell true med blades to anyone except a medical supply house. If there is a recall for infection or sanitary reasons each blade has to be recovered in a recall.

That being said my own poersonal opinion is that both blades are from the same line, only one gets sterilized a bit more than the other and packaged for hospital use. I doubt they run two lines or have a difference in the manufacturing process.

5 273
 10-15-2012, 04:47 PM
User Info
I just received them today. It will take awhile to use all 250. I'll let you know how well they work for me. If they don't work well, I'll have some Med Preps for sale in the near future.

18 242