10-17-2022, 11:15 AM
User Info
Don't do what I did!  My Semouge 1305 has served me well for many years.  Its paint is chipped, but its tips are oh, so soft yet it still gives me a good scrub when I face lather.  Handles soaps, croaps, creams, you name it.  I only shave every other day, so it always gets a chance to dry out.  

Usually, I soak the brush while I am showering.  The other day, I forgot to do so.  So, I just ran it under some warm water and started to load up a triple milled hard soap right away.  Boy, what a mistake.  It lathered well enough, but it must have shed half a dozen hairs!  usually, I maybe shed one hair every few months.  Obviously, not soaking the brush before the shave is a bad idea.

0 24
 10-17-2022, 12:05 PM
User Info
I never soak mine, perhaps bleached bristles are damaged enough to make them brittle.

I assume they are bleached and dyed.

0 547
 10-17-2022, 05:43 PM
User Info
I don't know whether not soaking them is the cause of the shedding.  I used to soak boar brushes for an extended period of time but abandoned the practice years ago.  Now I soak them for a minute or less or just wet them under some running water.  I haven't had any shedding issues.

60 12,215
 10-19-2022, 03:13 AM
User Info
I had the same thing happen with my 1305. It started shedding even though I did soak it. I took some advice and gave it a good cleaning with borax and the shedding stopped. Turns out I hadn’t rinsed it enough after use and had a soap build up. Works fine now.

0 5