10-10-2012, 09:09 PM
User Info
On the 2nd attempt the USPS delivered the 2nd handle Oscar11 sent to me. The USPS system ate the first one.

I had a 20mm boar knot on hand from a previous TGN order. The brush I thought I might be rekotting appears to have gotten the message and it's not shedding the way it was when I first got it, so I had a knot looking for a handle.... Plus the boar side of the shelf looked like I don't like boars, and that simply isn't the case.

So here's the handle, rotated a bit in every shot. What appears to be irridescent is. IMO, absolutely gorgeous stock he uses and great work on his part.

[Image: Untitled-14.jpg]
[Image: Untitled-13.jpg]
[Image: Untitled-12.jpg]
[Image: Untitled-11.jpg]

Now what the brush should look like. With the parts. I deliberately told him to drill deeper than necessary. I may want something else in the handle someday and putting these homemade teflon washers (quite soft) in place to raise the knot allows me maximum freedom in the future. I'll probably never need to change a thing though.

[Image: DSC03751.jpg]
[Image: DSC03752.jpg]

I need to pick up some fresh epoxy, so sometime this weekend I should have a new boar.

Next on the agenda is a matching hgandle for a badger when he makes it for me. I'm in no hurry.

I don't need any more brushes! But it's fun.

32 6,309
 10-11-2012, 11:01 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Brian

That's a nice looking handle, good looking material and a nicely turned handle shape Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 10-14-2012, 08:20 PM
User Info
Thanks Mike!

Yes, Steve did a great job on the handle. It feels great in the fingers and I just love the material that he used for it.

But the TGN boar and the handle are one and I have possibly 6 hand lathers on it. The tips are already beginning to split. If you look at the lone hair in the shadow to the right, notice the end.

When I get to it in the rotation in a few days it should be quite nice. I strongly suspect that it's going to retain all sorts of backbone, like the Vulfix 2234 boar I got from Obie.

[Image: DSC03760.jpg]

I've already asked Steve to make me it's mate for a TGN badger knot. Now I need to decide what to buy.

32 6,309
 10-15-2012, 05:41 AM
User Info
Absolutely droolworth!

3 452
 10-15-2012, 05:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Brian, that's a nice looking brush. What material is that handle made of?

I'm glad you said teflon washers. For a moment there, I thought you were using lifesavers. Smile

173 23,546
 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM
User Info
Johnny, I've been sworn to secrecy about the specific handle material. I can tell you that it's synthetic, but you probably already knew that. You should see it in the sink in a pool of water. It's incredible! I'd love to know how it's made.

If Oscar11 tells you what it is, well, that's up to him. It's his to tell.

Lifesavers! Biggrin Don't know why someone couldn't as long as they're encased in epoxy.

I know lots of folks use coinage, but that's always bothered me as something difficult to remove at a later date. Teflon doesn't stick to epoxy, and even if it did, it's softer than the epoxy so the Dremel will grind it out in a heartbeat.

32 6,309
 10-15-2012, 05:22 PM
User Info
Beautiful as always from Steve!

Even though I know the secret, I will refrain as well.

I agree with using the Teflon washers because the handles have sufficient weight without adding more.

I know you will enjoy yours as much as I do mine! Cool

1 2,827
 10-15-2012, 06:21 PM
User Info
I'm usually not a fan of synthetic handles - but, sweet mercy, that handle is gorgeous. Whatever the mystery material is, it's a definitely a winner.

3 147
 10-15-2012, 07:28 PM
User Info
Wow, what a beautiful handle!

75 20,883