10-27-2022, 05:38 PM
User Info
There are at least a zillion soaps on the market. While I have not tried all, I have tried about 50. I have decided the best (for me) is D R Harris -- which is about as old school as it gets. DRH has been in business since 1790, which says something. AFAIK, DRH is the only British firm that has not reformulated their soap for the worse over the years. For me, the best application method is to pick up the puck and rub it onto my beard as if it were a shaving stock. Lather is top shelf in my experience. It is inexpensive in the long run considering the lifespan of the puck. I forego the wooden bowl and keep in a plastic dish so it will dry and I can pick up again tomorrow. Just my two cents.

17 397
 10-27-2022, 06:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’m a fan of DRH Arlington and Marlborough. I’ve got backups for each - they’re wonderful soaps! I want to try the Almond scented puck one of these days.

MWF is a den staple here. Also another excellent triple milled English soap is Scapicchio by Captain Fawcett’s. Imo, it’s every bit as fine as Harris soaps.

Salter was reported to be making a very good quality triple milled soap, but I haven’t tried it due to my sensitivity to lavender.

But yeah, DRH is a legacy brand for a reason.

22 6,885
 10-27-2022, 06:36 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
There are some soaps that seem to be taken for granted - DRH is among them. 
It was one of the first hard soaps I tried, and I've always had some in the rotation - 3 at last count - Marlborough, Arlington and Lavender.  

Not splashy, not artisan.  Just a very good triple milled tallow shaving soap that lasts, and is slick enough for DE, SE or Straight use. 
Beginner friendly lather.  Shelf stable for decades.  Pleasant if not overpowering scent. 

Congrats, and enjoy the shaves.

18 257
 10-28-2022, 04:08 AM
User Info
After years of primarily using artisan soaps, I have gone back to preferring triple milled soaps.  The D.R. Harris line is excellent.  I particularly like Marlborough.

60 12,225
 10-28-2022, 05:08 AM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
(10-27-2022, 06:19 PM)chazt Wrote:  I want to try the Almond scented puck one of these days.

DRH Almond was the other one I had - long since used up. 

It's not a sweet cherry/marzipan Almond (which I do not care for) - more the Almond flower/seeds - done with typical Harris subtlety.  
While it does contain fragrance, It also contains real pressed Almond oil.  As far as I can tell, it's the only Harris soap that does.

18 257
 10-28-2022, 11:43 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-28-2022, 05:08 AM)norton Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 06:19 PM)chazt Wrote:  I want to try the Almond scented puck one of these days.

DRH Almond was the other one I had - long since used up. 

It's not a sweet cherry/marzipan Almond (which I do not care for) - more the Almond flower/seeds - done with typical Harris subtlety.  
While it does contain fragrance, It also contains real pressed Almond oil.  As far as I can tell, it's the only Harris soap that does.

It must be a pleasing puck. Others have said much the same thing. It’s on my must try list.

22 6,885
 10-28-2022, 01:50 PM
User Info
(10-28-2022, 04:08 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: After years of primarily using artisan soaps, I have gone back to preferring triple milled soaps.  The D.R. Harris line is excellent.  I particularly like Marlborough.

A man of exceptional taste and sensitivity.

0 410
 10-29-2022, 06:41 AM
  • Sevenbark
  • Lower Clinch River Valley
User Info
I agree, Dr Harris has tallow is second on the ingredients list and that is a winner for me. It was a sad day when Cade changed their formula. I am done with tiring a new maker and the puck being relegated to bath soap after one or two attempts.

25 354
 10-29-2022, 06:45 AM
User Info
(10-28-2022, 01:50 PM)Uncas Wrote:
(10-28-2022, 04:08 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: After years of primarily using artisan soaps, I have gone back to preferring triple milled soaps.  The D.R. Harris line is excellent.  I particularly like Marlborough.

A man of exceptional taste and sensitivity.

Thank you, sir.  I do believe your statement describes many of our members.

60 12,225