11-04-2022, 12:32 PM
User Info
As it stands at the time of this writing, this is my current rotation of synthetic brushes. I have an aluminum Alpha Betahive coming, so that will likely be added.

* I reserve the right to change this list at any given time. Maybe even before the post is finished!!!*

From left to right:

Yaqi Bali
Erskine Heritage Collection Tux Bulb
Yaqi Purple Haze
The Razor Company Cream Soda

[Image: h5uksAp.jpg]

6 1,088
 11-04-2022, 04:36 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Very nice, Mike. Care to share some insights? Do you reach for one or two more than the others?

22 6,876
 11-04-2022, 05:53 PM
User Info
You need some boar brushes in your rotation.

0 547
 11-04-2022, 06:12 PM
User Info
(11-04-2022, 04:36 PM)chazt Wrote: Very nice, Mike. Care to share some insights? Do you reach for one or two more than the others?

I use the Yaqi Bali more than the others, but I just got the Erskine and TRC brush in the last couple weeks. Interestingly, despite all the different style and shape handles, they all feel very comfortable. I was most hesitant about the TRC handle given the shape and height, but I like the feel. Very comfortable in my hand. I have not bowl lathered with the Erskine or TRC brushes yet. The Yaqi brushes really whip up a very nice lather as you may have seen in lather shots or my SOTD's.

One benefit to the synthetic brushes is also sort of the "downfall". They dry super quick which is great, especially if you travel. On the flipside, water and heat retention suffers. I have no basis for comparison with boar or badger as I have never used anything but synthetics, but I don't feel as though I'm losing out in the lather department. I find that the lack of heat and water retention is a bit more of a shortcoming for me when face lathering. I have to add a lot of water to the brush as I go to create the lather. Then once you have the lather created and you apply it, by the time you do your first pass and pick the brush up again, it's pretty much gone cold. The water retention is not really so much an issue as I bowl lather, because I just add water to the bowl as I go and build my lather up. But, again, the brush does cool down quickly in between passes.

6 1,088
 11-04-2022, 07:15 PM
User Info
Nice rotation, Mike.  I've used badger and boar over the years,  but now use synthetics most of the time.

60 12,215
 11-04-2022, 08:05 PM
User Info
(11-04-2022, 05:53 PM)TobyC Wrote: You need some boar brushes in your rotation.
Unfortunately, I only use synthetic. I have never actually used a natural hair brush. I do have an old Ever-Ready that must have been my dads, but I'll likely never use it. That was actually my first thread on here.

http://http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=61443

6 1,088
 11-05-2022, 02:14 PM
User Info
(11-04-2022, 07:15 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Nice rotation, Mike.  I've used badger and boar over the years,  but now use synthetics most of the time.

Thank you!!! My Alpha aluminum Betahive arrived and it is stunning to say the least. I'm curious, why the change to synthetics?

6 1,088
 11-10-2022, 06:36 PM
User Info
(11-05-2022, 02:14 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:
(11-04-2022, 07:15 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Nice rotation, Mike.  I've used badger and boar over the years, but now use synthetics most of the time.

Thank you!!! My Alpha aluminum Betahive arrived and it is stunning to say the least. I'm curious, why the change to synthetics?

Mike, my move to synthetics was primarily driven by practical considerations.  Synthetics excel at creating lather fast, they're easy to clean, and they dry quickly.  They feel different than badger, but different does not mean inferior.  Not all synthetics are the same, so it was a matter of finding the ones I prefer.

60 12,215
 11-10-2022, 07:04 PM
User Info
(11-10-2022, 06:36 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(11-05-2022, 02:14 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:
(11-04-2022, 07:15 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Nice rotation, Mike.  I've used badger and boar over the years, but now use synthetics most of the time.

Mike, my move to synthetics was primarily driven by practical considerations.  Synthetics excel at creating lather fast, they're easy to clean, and they dry quickly.  They feel different than badger, but different does not mean inferior.  Not all synthetics are the same, so it was a matter of finding the ones I prefer.

I understand. They definitely are not inferior, and I have seen plenty of folks who use natural hair brushes also use synthetic and comment on how well some of them work. Yes, all synthetics are not the same as I'm sure the badger or boar ones are not as well. So far the G5D knot in the Betahive is fantastic. It has face lathered very well, I just have to test it in a bowl yet. I will also be experimenting with and trying to compare the G5D to a 26mm Motherlode knot that I have coming that Charlie was kind enough to hook me up with. I'm not familiar with it, but it is a knot that Quinn at Elite Razor uses.

[Image: SgsCjLd.jpg]

6 1,088
 11-10-2022, 07:23 PM
User Info
Mike, you got a great deal on that Bob Quinn synthetic.  I've never tried a Motherlode knot, but I understand it's uber soft.

60 12,215