11-07-2022, 11:01 AM
User Info
About 6 months ago I decided to explore the joy of wet shaving.  I began looking around at different razors, soaps, brushes, etc to see what it was all about.  After buying a few brushes with knots that range between 19mm to 26mm I landed on 20mm to 22mm knots for my brush of choice.  One of the brushes I have has a 24mm knot with a bloom too large and a backbone too weak to meet my personal style.  I like the handle, so I decided to see what alternatives I had to make it usable.  Replace the knot with a 22mm knot?  Nope, research told me that wasn't a good idea.  A deeper bore?  Several threads indicated this is a possibility, so I contacted several brush makers.  They pretty much told me they would do the work but didn't recommend it.  Didn't stop me.  What 's to lose, right?  

[Image: YOa3ajK.jpg][Image: dblvd9n.jpg][Image: UUoNOrS.jpg][Image: NuWkVem.jpg][Image: 400HPMX.jpg][Image: RbaqhOb.jpg]I lowered the knot about 8mm using a drill press and a 25mm forstner drill bit.    Set with a dab of silicone and got the result I wanted:  stronger backbone and smaller bloom.  Also, the old knot looked ok, so I reused it.  The threads I read indicated it would likely become a shedder, so that's why I set with silicone.  I should be able to easily replace it if it starts to shed.

0 24
 11-07-2022, 11:24 AM
User Info
Well done, Barry.

60 12,215
 11-07-2022, 11:28 AM
User Info
You need to explore the wonderful world of boar brushes.  Thumbsup

0 547
 11-07-2022, 11:39 AM
User Info
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=64670

0 547
 11-07-2022, 12:15 PM
User Info
(11-07-2022, 11:28 AM)TobyC Wrote: You need to explore the wonderful world of boar brushes.  Thumbsup

I believe I will.  Thanks.

0 24
 11-07-2022, 09:08 PM
  • Bax
User Info
Great job refurbing that brush! I bet it was fun, too!

I tried boar, badger, synthetic and horsehair to see which I'd like the best. I like them ALL for different reasons! Instead of finding the one that was just right for me, I ended up needing more shelf space!
Good luck!
- Bax

0 530
 11-08-2022, 04:23 AM
User Info
(11-07-2022, 09:08 PM)Bax Wrote: Great job refurbing that brush! I bet it was fun, too!

I tried boar, badger, synthetic and horsehair to see which I'd like the best.  I like them ALL for different reasons!    Instead of finding the one that was just right for me, I ended up needing more shelf space!
Good luck!
- Bax

I you want firm backbone and consistent controllable splay, which two would you choose?

0 547
 11-08-2022, 08:00 AM
User Info
Update:  I used my modified brush this morning and it works great for me.  The shape of the knot turned out to be similar to a Shavemac knot I own, the backbone is about right for me and allows for easy navigation, and the density is comparable to a HD Silvertip knot I have in another brush.  I didn't use the brush before, but now I plan to include it in my rotation.  I guess the only negative is that the high density seems to provide for a less effective bowl lather.  Does that make sense?

0 24