11-11-2022, 04:29 PM
User Info
I have had a schick injector razor (adjustable one, type M ? I think) and blade sitting in a drawer for more than 3 years. Finally, yesterday, I used it. It was my first time using an injector and I was expecting some bloodshed and had my proraso styptic gel ready to go. But I was pleasantly surprised as there was no bloodshed and the shave felt good with no irritation after the shave and today. This leads me to a some questions.

1) Care for the injector blade. How do I care for the blade in the razor? With a DE, I discard a blade after one use, or pat it dry and hang it from the nail. I used a schick injector blade and at the moment, I have left it in the razor and turned the razor adjustment to maximum exposure. Is there a chance the blade will rust?

2) Types of injector blades. The only one I have come across is the one I used -- schick injector blade. Are there other blades available?

3) Comparable to artist club style SE razor? How does the shave of the schick injector compare to a artist club razor? Specifically, how does it compare to a blackland vector? I have very sensitive skin and after trying many many DE razors, I have been using a feather ASD2 exclusively for the past 3+ years. Should I go in for a blackland vector? or not? or would you suggest another SE artist club style razor?

0 195
 11-11-2022, 05:51 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-11-2022, 04:29 PM)meshave Wrote: 2) Types of injector blades. The only one I have come across is the one I used -- schick injector blade. Are there other blades available?

BullGoose has a great selection.
https://bullgooseshaving.com/shop/blades...or-blades/

You can also find these around, too.
[Image: uxZ0sHj.jpg]

22 6,876
 11-11-2022, 06:01 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-11-2022, 04:29 PM)meshave Wrote: I have had a schick injector razor (adjustable one, type M ? I think) and blade sitting in a drawer for more than 3 years. Finally, yesterday, I used it. It was my first time using an injector and I was expecting some bloodshed and had my proraso styptic gel ready to go. But I was pleasantly surprised as there was no bloodshed and the shave felt good with no irritation after the shave and today. This leads me to a some questions.

1) Care for the injector blade. How do I care for the blade in the razor? With a DE, I discard a blade after one use, or pat it dry and hang it from the nail. I used a schick injector blade and at the moment, I have left it in the razor and turned the razor adjustment to maximum exposure. Is there a chance the blade will rust?

2) Types of injector blades. The only one I have come across is the one I used -- schick injector blade. Are there other blades available?

3) Comparable to artist club style SE razor? How does the shave of the schick injector compare to a artist club razor? Specifically, how does it compare to a blackland vector? I have very sensitive skin and after trying many many DE razors, I have been using a feather ASD2 exclusively for the past 3+ years. Should I go in for a blackland vector? or not? or would you suggest another SE artist club style razor?

I rinse my Schick Type I thoroughly with hot water and leave the blade installed until it’s time to change it. With my Asylum Injector razor, I take it apart after the shave then clean, dry and reassemble with the blade.

Haven’t seen an injector blade rust, but I guess anything’s possible.

Don’t know anything about AC razors, but there’s plenty of guys who do. You’ll get plenty of opinions on this. Have fun! Smile

22 6,876
 11-11-2022, 06:10 PM
User Info
My Dads sat on a shelf above the bathroom sink, he closed the bathroom door behind him so I have no idea what he did, but he was not predisposed to wasting any time doing it. He was always clean shaven with a 1940s era pencil moustache that he kept trimmed with that razor.

0 408
 11-11-2022, 06:15 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Congrats on your discovery of the power of the Injector!  Most just rinse the head and leave the blade in until the performance declines - usually after many more shaves than a DE can deliver.  I easily get 4 times as many shaves more than my DE's on my old man's wire ..

Charlie's picture shows what many (not all) find the best of the modern blades - the "Chicks"  .  Way cheaper are Personna's, but reviews on those are mixed - me I find them to be less sharp and fiddly at best to load due to their plastic injectors.  The Personnas are rebranded a lot, but usually show up in a white plastic dispenser of 20 blades .. at about the same cost as the 7 pack of Schicks

[Image: wp321c660f_06.png]

I don't have very sensitive skin, so am probably not qualified to advise you on a purchase.  The various AC format razors are similar to the injector with respect to the thickness & therefore rigidity of the blades, but I tend to find the true injectors more agile around problem areas (Adam's apple for one) than the longer more clunky AC/shavette blades.

84 962
 11-12-2022, 07:31 AM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info
(11-11-2022, 04:29 PM)meshave Wrote: I have had a schick injector razor (adjustable one, type M ? I think) and blade sitting in a drawer for more than 3 years. Finally, yesterday, I used it. It was my first time using an injector and I was expecting some bloodshed and had my proraso styptic gel ready to go. But I was pleasantly surprised as there was no bloodshed and the shave felt good with no irritation after the shave and today. This leads me to a some questions.

1) Care for the injector blade. - Injectors are really designed to leave the blade in.  Shake it, wipe it once on a towel the opposite way you would shave with it.  Set it aside to dry.  I do this part with DEs too.  Just a habit.  

2) Types of injector blades. - Not a lot out there - the Yellow box 'chicks' on Amazon some like.  I use what Bullgoose carries - the Schick B-20s - which are great but don't come with a loader with a 'key' so you have to cross-load them into an empty loader that has a 'key' to get them into your razor.  Another option is Supply - their black blades IMO are a step up from their white blades, and do come in a loader with the 'key'.  There are also medical supply places like Ted Pella that sell injector blades for tissue dissection that some folks like - I've found these pretty good, though the 'key' is a little larger than stock schick loaders they do work, and last I checked they ship 20 blades to a loader.  Edit - Looks like Bullgoose carries those too for a reasonable price and likely far superior shipping/service to a medical supply company.  

3) Comparable to artist club style SE razor? Can be comparable -with a Schick B-20 blade.  The AC format is a longer blade - so less strokes required, but the feel afterwards can be comparable.  The yellow box schick blades IMO cannot compare to a Feather Pro AC or B-20 blade for sharpness/smoothness.  There was a time people would cut down Feather AC blades and cross load into an injector cartridge to load into their Schick injectors.  Feather really should do a smaller format with a 'key' but they've been around a long time so I have to assume they have their reasons for not doing so.  

18 257
 11-13-2022, 06:39 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
(11-11-2022, 05:51 PM)chazt Wrote:
(11-11-2022, 04:29 PM)meshave Wrote: 2) Types of injector blades. The only one I have come across is the one I used -- schick injector blade. Are there other blades available?

Charlie helped me to get my Schick Type L injector razor and blades.  I really enjoy using all of my vintage razors due to their age and thinking about the guys/gals who may have used them in the past.

Just wanted to clarify as I had to ask myself what a "Chick" blade was.  Pictured I believe is a Chick blade as it looks like mine and is a Schick blade manufactured in China.

0 331
 11-13-2022, 07:00 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-13-2022, 06:39 AM)Chappy Wrote:

Charlie helped me to get my Schick Type L injector razor and blades.  I really enjoy using all of my vintage razors due to their age and thinking about the guys/gals who may have used them in the past.

Just wanted to clarify as I had to ask myself what a "Chick" blade was.  Pictured I believe is a Chick blade as it looks like mine and is a Schick blade manufactured in China.

Stan, this is frequently on my mind. Who shaved with this razor before me? I feel connected to the past in a weird pogonomotic sort of way. Plus they shave so good too!

22 6,876
 11-13-2022, 08:38 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(11-13-2022, 06:39 AM)Chappy Wrote:

Just be aware that the yellow package in itself doesn't mean it is of Chinese manufacture -I once came blades packaged exactly like that - but in tiny print on the backside they were made someplace in Europe (Holland maybe).  Those did not shave well for me, extremely dull

84 962
 11-13-2022, 10:59 AM
User Info
As others have said;

- Rinse, dry, leave. I get two to three times the life out of my Injector blades compared to a double edge blade.

- To the best of my knowledge, both Schick and Personna makes injector blades. I get mine from Connaught Shaving in UK.

- While I can't comment on how it relates to the Artist Club, it is worth noting that older Schicks are more aggressive than newer ones - a C is more aggressive than a G, a G is more aggressive than a K.

3 8,067
 11-22-2022, 09:14 PM
User Info
Just want to say thank you for your replies and advice. The yellow schick injector blades pictured in chazt's post is the blade I used. 3 shaves so far and all pleasant, but I can feel the blade degrading and it might not last another shave. Also, I couldn't resist the blackland sale. Machined vector arrived today.

0 195