11-23-2022, 09:12 PM
  • Bax
User Info
I've been using straight razors now for the last few months. Today I picked up an old Gillette DE Superspeed, and (using the same soap and brush) I think I got the best shave ever out of a double edge safety razor!

Is it because I better understand angles? Is it because I know my face better? What is it about using a straight razor that made my DE shave so much better?

Has anybody else had an experience life this, or was it an anomaly?
:-)
- Bax

0 530
 11-24-2022, 06:13 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Maybe subconsciously you’ve been doing SR shaves with more reserve and restraint for fear of drawing blood. A DE shave is more auto pilot. Your muscle memory is there, and you can use more pressure because of the safety factor.

I’m going with that hypothesis.

22 6,871
 11-24-2022, 08:33 AM
  • Chappy
  • Oklahoma, OK, USA
User Info
(11-24-2022, 06:13 AM)chazt Wrote: Maybe subconsciously you’ve been doing SR shaves with more reserve and restraint for fear of drawing blood. A DE shave is more auto pilot. Your muscle memory is there, and you can use more pressure because of the safety factor.

I’m going with that hypothesis.

I wasn't originally sure how to respond to you Bax as my experience with a shavette was interesting but Charlie nailed it for me.  My DE razors go into cruise control when I use them.  Gave the shavette to a friend who loves it so all is good.

0 331
 Yesterday, 06:12 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(11-23-2022, 09:12 PM)Bax Wrote: I've been using straight razors now for the last few months. Today I picked up an old Gillette DE Superspeed, and (using the same soap and brush) I think I got the best shave ever out of a double edge safety razor!  

Is it because I better understand angles? Is it because I know my face better? What is it about using a straight razor that made my DE shave so much better?

Has anybody else had an experience life this, or was it an anomaly?
 :-)
 - Bax

Actually, it was your review of the Focus Slim Aluminum that inspired me to pick up a red one in SEptember. So far I can manage a with the grain first pass and some of the across the grain second pass. I do bring in my DE to finish the second pass and close the deal against the grain. 

While using the shavette, I am very careful about the angle of the blade as it approaches my skin and even more careful about the pressure of each stroke. My DE only shaves improved based on the Alum and AS report. 

Will I continue with a straight razor once I can complete a full 3 pass shave? Only time will tell the tale. 

Thx Bax.

0 607
 Yesterday, 07:10 AM
User Info
Bax, are you using a straight razor or a shavette razor using half a DE blade?

60 12,201