11-27-2022, 07:29 AM
User Info
Hi All,

Can you please talk about the Epsilon 49/26mm two band badger fan shaped brush? Looks like a bargain at the price point its offered at G&C. How do you compare it with a Simpsons CH2 in Best. I am thinking about face lathering, soft, backbone, splay etc. Also read somewhere that the handle is terrible, is it the case. Attaching the link to the specific brush I am eyeing.

https://www.giftsandcare.com/en/black-fr...926mm.html

Thanks

Harish

0 8
 11-27-2022, 08:00 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Welcome to the forum. When you can, please post in the introductions section for a proper hello Smile

I have a similar brush. It’s from Epsilon’s fabled second run. My 2 band knot is 27/55. I also have a 3 band which is 27/50. They are very densely tied knots. Shedding has never been an issue. The two band has excellent backbone and soft tips with a scrubby feel. I don’t know how dense these current knots are. Mine rival Chubby knots for density. In terms of size, while I’ve never measured them, the Epsilon handle is somewhere in between a Duke 3 and Chubby 2. The handle material is not as substantial as the Simpson resin which feels heavier. That said, for me, the Epsilon handle is more comfortable than the Chubby 2 handle. Imo if you’re considering only the Simpson CH2 or the Epsilon, the Simpson has the panache, Epsilon is the cost:value:performance leader.

22 7,000
 11-27-2022, 08:37 AM
User Info
(11-27-2022, 08:00 AM)chazt Wrote: Welcome to the forum. When you can, please post in the introductions section for a proper hello Smile

I have a similar brush. It’s from Epsilon’s fabled second run. My 2 band knot is 27/55. I also have a 3 band which is 27/50. They are very densely tied knots. Shedding has never been an issue. The two band has excellent backbone and soft tips with a scrubby feel. I don’t know how dense these current knots are. Mine rival Chubby knots for density. In terms of size, while I’ve never measured them, the Epsilon handle is somewhere in between a Duke 3 and Chubby 2. The handle material is not as substantial as the Simpson resin which feels heavier. That said, for me, the Epsilon handle is more comfortable than the Chubby 2 handle. Imo if you’re considering only the Simpson CH2 or the Epsilon, the Simpson has the panache, Epsilon is the cost:value:performance leader.

My Epsilon is the most dense brush I ever had; I had CH2 and it was not as dense as the Epsilon.

0 203
 11-27-2022, 08:53 AM
User Info
(11-27-2022, 08:00 AM)chazt Wrote: Welcome to the forum. When you can, please post in the introductions section for a proper hello Smile

Thanks Charlie.....where are my manners! Surely will post an introduction soon Smile 

I wonder why Epsilons dont get a lot of love in the forums?? Hardly any information on these brushes, which makes taking decisions tough. I hope with a 49/26mm I will not be going wrong. I dont mind the backbone or the scrub. Just that they shouldnt be pokey.

0 8
 11-27-2022, 08:54 AM
User Info
(11-27-2022, 08:37 AM)Rudy Vey Wrote:

My Epsilon is the most dense brush I ever had; I had CH2 and it was not as dense as the Epsilon.

Rudy, I read each and every of your posts and finally decided to pull the trigger Smile

0 8
 11-27-2022, 09:35 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN.  

I had one of the earlier Epsilon two band and it had an excellent knot.  I found the handle too small.  A number of guys, myself included,  had their Epsilon knots transplanted into custom handles.  

Here is a 20!6 thread I posted on my Epsilon knot transplanted into a custom Doug Korn handle.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...light=Korn

60 12,341
 11-27-2022, 06:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Some pics. The Epsilon knots’ canopies are more perfectly shaped than this photo represents. The tips seem to be untreated. They were from the pre-gel knot craze.
[Image: YoYDrrN.jpg]
Here’s the 2 band by itself 
[Image: pLq3Ibh.jpg][Image: ayIZoOd.jpg][Image: RJRDBcJ.jpg]
L-R for comparison of relative handle sizes: Epsilon 2 band, CH2, Epsilon 3 band, Duke 3.
[Image: 7Imrdl5.jpg]

L-R: Epsilon 2band, CH2, Epsilon 3band, D3*note* this is a Shavemac 2band (not Finest) knot from about 2015-16. The reknot was done by Mr. VeySmile
[Image: sXAXv5I.jpg]

22 7,000
 12-29-2022, 11:59 PM
User Info
Dear good people-

Finally after a month, I get my much awaited Epsilon 2 band 26/49 badger brush. These are just the initial impressions and I shall add to it as I start using the brush. 

Right out of the box, I must say, I am not the biggest fan of the blue color, but then I was getting a good deal and the color doesn't matter at all. The brush seems to be built very nicely and according to my rough calculations, seems more tha[Image: hbsIJ0J.jpg][Image: lQQTeZM.jpg][Image: cv7h0pN.jpg][Image: KOSIMEK.jpg][Image: UH62OHL.jpg]n 26mm. It is dense, and really after holding this brush in my hands, I don't think I need to buy the Simpsons Chubby 2 in Best (since the specifications are more or less same). The good people from Giftsandcare were kind enough to put some sample beard oils too - unfortunately, I don't grow a beard. Maybe they were just having a little fun by giving beard oil samples to someone who is buying a brush to shave all the beard. European humor I guess Smile

The bristles dont seem to be treated, and there is no funk out of the box. The backbone seems assuring. I am a face latherer, and about the face feel, I can comment only after using it a couple of times. Attaching a few pictures of the brush for all of you. 

Will add more over the coming days!

0 8
 12-30-2022, 02:08 AM
User Info
Just had my first shave.  Pics attached for all you people. Only 1 comment - I dont think its a 2 Band, feels more like a silvertip / super, its super soft and the backbone is quite less. Not complaining at all. Just had a shave with MWF, and boy the lather this produced...amazing!! Smile

But again, not sure if its a 2 band, since there is no scrub/scritch. And look at the bloom. [Image: 7qPHO8C.jpg][Image: 2Y4J6ua.jpg][Image: yAkdc6I.jpg][Image: KnfePPf.jpg]

0 8
 12-30-2022, 04:41 AM
User Info
Thank you for the photos and your first impressions.  We'll look forward to your comments as you continue to use the brush.

60 12,341
 12-30-2022, 07:45 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Looks good, Mr. Monk. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your shaves Smile 
Keep us updated with your impressions.

22 7,000
 01-02-2023, 05:22 AM
User Info
From the description in post #9, this does not sound like the early Epsilon 2-band knots.  Those knots had  noticeable density and backbone.  On the positive side, however, this brush is likely better at quickly producing a lot of lather.

60 12,341
 01-07-2023, 06:27 AM
User Info
So after having used it for 3 shaves now, these are my observations

1) It is a super, giving the lack of backbone and the softness of the tips. There is backbone in the brush, not one of those which have absolutely no backbone. But not like a best
2) Can't comment on gel tips
3) It is quite dense and the quality of lather produced is amazing, and quickly as well
4) Ergonomics of the handle is just perfect
5) At around Euro 35, after the discounts, its a steal
6) It works both with hard soaps as well as creams
7) Is this one for the history books - not really. Its a good brush, but not legendary

Thanks!

0 8
 01-07-2023, 04:01 PM
User Info
The original Epsilon brushes were made in Spain and indicated that on the handle.  You can see this in post #7 above, which are Charlie's Epsilons.  With your new Epsilon, is there anything on the handle, box or package insert indicating where the brush is made?

60 12,341
 01-10-2023, 05:51 AM
User Info
(01-07-2023, 04:01 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The original Epsilon brushes were made in Spain and indicated that on the handle.  You can see this in post #7 above, which are Charlie's Epsilons.  With your new Epsilon, is there anything on the handle, box or package insert indicating where the brush is made?

Hi Ricardo, the box mentions that it is proudly made in Spain.

0 8
 01-10-2023, 09:13 AM
User Info
Thanks for letting me know they're still made in Spain.

60 12,341