12-08-2022, 01:13 AM
User Info
Some people have a single razor. Some have a small handful. Me? I got eighteen in my regular rotation, one at work, two different ones in my GoBags, one for other travels, plus half a dozen or so in storage that I for one reason or other can’t or don’t want to let go.

And even so, I am not sure I got enough razors. So when is enough enough?
There are a couple of vintage razors I would love to get my hands on. A Schick Automatic, for starters, a Bessegg, as well as one or two 30’s Gillette one piece razors. An early Gillette New wouldn’t be amiss either. Not because any of the razors I own is unsatisfactory, but because I would like to have them.
In the same vein, and for the same reasons, there is one or two current razors I would enjoy owning as well – the adjustable Tatara Muramasa springs to mind, due to the unique way it adjusts.
And while I do have almost thirty razors and wishes to add to the collection / rotation, I only have seven brushes in my rotation. Plus a brush at work, two travel brushes, and a home made brush I trot out on occasion. And I have no desire to get any more. Perhaps I might replace one or two, but not add to the pile.
So why is it that I have enough brushes, but not enough razors? When is enough enough?
Part of it is, I think, simply because I find razors inherently more interesting. By changing such things as the thickness of the cap, the blade angle, the blade exposure, the centre of balance, and a myriad other variables… the entire feel of the shave changes.
As an example, consider the Gillette Old Types I own. One is from a 1918 Khaki Kit, the other is an early 20’s flea market find. The former has a thicker cap, the later a longer handle. They are both good shavers, but despite being similar, they are different enough to notice the differences. And different enough to appreciate the differences too.
A second example is my Schicks. While my E2 and G4 are very similar, there is enough difference in their level of aggressiveness that I cannot treat them the same and expect identical shaves.
And either of those are vastly different from my EverReadyeither of my GEMs, the Phillips Phillite, my Tatara, my fifties Gillette‘s, my Evolution, and so on and so forth. There is just so much to grab my interest about various razors, without even getting into some of the weird ones that got patented over the years.
Brushes? Brushes, to me at least, simply don’t hold the same amount of interest. Some are softer and holds water better. Others have a pleasant scritch and don’t take as long to load. And some are just plain awful (I’m looking at you, cheap supermarket brush with a nylon knot). And that is more or less it. I worked out that I prefer boar and horse – and I’m going to leave it at that.
So when is enough enough? I think enough is enough when the curiosity and desire to own more have been sated. With brushes, I reached that spot some years ago – I was gifted a reasonable good badger, and found that it wasn’t as life changing as I had believed. But when it comes to razors, there is still more to discover, more to learn, more curiosity to sate. I may never reach the point where enough is enough as far as razors are concerned.
[Image: 20221031_103459-1024x829.jpg]
Memento mori – or, as the young people say, YOLO. You might as well enjoy the shave and not worry.
As a side note I don’t think any of the above applies to lathers, aftershaves, and other consumables. The correct number of these is n+1, where n is the number you currently own. Even so, I have gotten picky about the +1 that I buy these days, since I am a bit tight on space.

3 8,095
 12-08-2022, 04:16 AM
User Info
It's like eating at an all you can eat place, "enough" is when you'll die if you eat any more, but then tomorrow comes along and...

0 605
 12-08-2022, 01:54 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I am not familiar with the phrase "enough is enough". What does it mean? Wink

1 2,562
 12-08-2022, 02:45 PM
User Info
Enough is enough when you feel like it is and it's ok if that changes. I know I have felt it and minimalized my den I don't know how many times. I get the bug again, want to try new things, and enjoy every moment of it. Hard part is letting things go lol.

As for brushes, I look at them like high end razors. For the most part they build lather no differently just as a $300 razor will shave same as a $20. The price is in materials, craftsmanship, and for some, the bragging rights. I've gotten to where most of my hardware is vintage and love each and every shave. Still got a hankering for new things to try though.  Wink

156 4,367
 12-08-2022, 07:40 PM
User Info
Looks like a well-loved tin of Mike’s Natural’s there Biggrin
I’m the opposite - two razors are plenty, but I find wide variety in brushes. Sometimes it’s a similar knot, but the handle and hair make the difference.

36 2,354
 12-09-2022, 05:52 PM
User Info
(12-08-2022, 01:54 PM)Shaun Wrote: I am not familiar with the phrase "enough is enough". What does it mean? Wink
Agreed

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

2 77
 12-10-2022, 05:24 AM
  • Bax
User Info
I think you were spot-on when you opined that enough is enough, Hans.  "When the curiosity and desire to own more have been sated."  That time came for me a few months ago.  I started with one lonely SuperSpeed at the beginning of the pandemic, and now have one of each of the major evolutions of Gillette razors, and oddballs that I just liked (a bakelite, Segal, Gem, OC Schick Magazine Repeater, etc) and a couple of razors that are new examples of the DE safety razors (Wolfman Guerrilla and Rockwell 6S).  Then I got a wild hair and launched off on a straight razor adventure.  I picked up a Focus shavette and a Parker.  Learned to use them, then moved on to a few Ebay vintage straight razors and a new Dovo.  After figuring out how to hone, strop, and use straight razors, I settled on my favorites and set my cruise control.  Straight razors are simply too much work for me ("the juice ain't worth the squeeze"), but I really liked the Focus shavette.  Now I've got a few go-to DE razors (a SuperSpeed, a Fat Boy, and a Milord) that I like the best, and work my Focus shavette into the rotation periodically, and I'm happy.  The other razors are all just living on the shelf in my Shave Den.  I've no more interest in expanding the herd.  Brushes never really excited me.  I picked up a couple of badgers, a couple of boars, a horsehair and synthetic.  I think I like the Semogue boar the best, so it gets used the most.  My Brush Exploration didn't last very long.  Now I've moved on to exploring different types of soaps, creams, and pucks.  Perhaps someday I'll be attracted to razors again, but for now enough is enough... for razors anyway.  
   :-)
- Bax

0 532
 12-12-2022, 08:24 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
An interesting topic for discussion, which since reading your OP, Hans, I’ve re-evaluated the razors and brushes that I’ve accumulated. Over the coming days I believe many items will find their way to a BST listing. Brushes and razors received as gifts remain permanently as fond reminders of those who gifted them.

I’ve whittled down the razors to a manageable 18, of which about five or six see active duty in a short rotation. The ones that “come off the bench” are all top notch shavers, but for one reason or another get used with less frequency. Don’t ask me why, as there’s no real answer. One facet of my little collection with which I’m very content are my 5 original condition E1 Gillettes, my birth quarter. They’ll be handed down to my heirs along with my guitars.

Brushes are my weakness. Even after designating a number of brushes for the BST I’m still sitting at approximately a one month rotation. Similar to razors, some brushes are used more than others, but my percentage of regularly used/not used, is higher with brushes than it is with razors. I could still add a few.

George (see avatar) once said to me (an interesting anecdote but a definite thread hijack), “Possessions are meaningless.” He’s right, you know.

22 6,998
 12-13-2022, 11:44 AM
User Info
"Too much is never enough." - Mick Jagger

And that was pretty much my philosophy regarding classic shaving accoutrements.  Over several years I acquired a collection of razors, brushes, shaving soaps, post-shave products, etc.   How large a collection?  Let's just say not as large as some but probably larger than most.  I stopped keep track of how much I'd spent when I realized the amount was more than I paid for my first three cars (combined).

But recently I finally went cold turkey on new acquisitions when I realized 1) my five slightly used pucks of Saponificio Varesino (my favorites) by themselves will not be consumed in my lifetime and 2) I get such superior shaves with my Asylum RX and Feather Artist Club blades that I stopped using DE razors and blades altogether several months ago.

0 95
 12-13-2022, 03:26 PM
User Info
edit post

0 484