12-15-2022, 07:44 AM
User Info
Bought this almost new from a BST site a couple of years back but it was stuck in USA for a long time due to covid restrictions and received it few months back, thanks to a friend holidaying in USA.

I have had less than 7-8 shaves on it in the last two months and I have noticed a strange behavior of shedding in the last three shaves. On an avg it is shedding 9-10 hair. It is making the shaves less enjoyable and a nuisance as I have to keep picking up the hair from my face during my passes. This is a k7 knot.

What could have gone wrong with the brush? How do I take it up with the manufacturer?

I do not have any issues with water, humidity etc at my end and am not able to understand the reason behind this huge shedding. [Image: 30e1761a1013718d20718ac68d5317d9.jpg]

Sent from my V2040 using Tapatalk

4 1,429
 12-15-2022, 10:40 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Generally speaking, any warranty would only apply to the original owner. It's possible that the brush was not taken care of properly (allowed to dry completely) or it was not stored properly. It's impossible to know.

54 22,556
 12-15-2022, 05:27 PM
User Info
(12-15-2022, 10:40 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Generally speaking, any warranty would only apply to the original owner. It's possible that the brush was not taken care of properly (allowed to dry completely) or it was not stored properly. It's impossible to know.
No Phil. I know by now about drying out, storing brushes properly as I have approx 11-12 badger brushes some of which more than 5yrs old and have not shed a single hair. I have a Paladin Beehive too and it's an awesome brush, no shedding whatsoever.

Also, I hear about this too that warranty would apply to the original owner and somehow I don't get it. Product is faulty in my case and the business owner imo should own my such dud products.

As an aside, am more interested in finding out if this shedding can be stopped by any means or is it an ongoing problem. If it is, I would be left with no other option but to junk it.

4 1,429
 12-15-2022, 07:55 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
In my experience it’s the rare product (of any category) that comes with an automatically transferable warranty. AFAIK, most products are warranted strictly to the original owner.

Have you tried gently combing the knot, Jagdeep?

22 7,000
 12-15-2022, 09:56 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(12-15-2022, 05:27 PM)Jags009 Wrote:
(12-15-2022, 10:40 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Generally speaking, any warranty would only apply to the original owner. It's possible that the brush was not taken care of properly (allowed to dry completely) or it was not stored properly. It's impossible to know.
No Phil. I know by now about drying out, storing brushes properly as I have approx 11-12 badger brushes some of which more than 5yrs old and have not shed a single hair. I have a Paladin Beehive too and it's an awesome brush, no shedding whatsoever.

Also, I hear about this too that warranty would apply to the original owner and somehow I don't get it. Product is faulty in my case and the business owner imo should own my such dud products.

As an aside, am more interested in finding out if this shedding can be stopped by any means or is it an ongoing problem. If it is, I would be left with no other option but to junk it.

Yes but you have no idea how the first owner treated the brush or how the brush was stored for the two years that you were without it. I do not know of any warranties (besides cars) that transfer ownership.

Regarding stopping the shedding...you could try shampooing the knot and combing it out. Will it work? A definite maybe.

54 22,556
 12-17-2022, 05:50 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
  • North Central Colorado, USA
User Info
(12-15-2022, 07:44 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Bought this almost new from a BST site a couple of years back but it was stuck in USA for a long time due to covid restrictions and received it few months back, thanks to a friend holidaying in USA.

I have had less than 7-8 shaves on it in the last two months and I have noticed a strange behavior of shedding in the last three shaves. On an avg it is shedding 9-10 hair. It is making the shaves less enjoyable and a nuisance as I have to keep picking up the hair from my face during my passes. This is a k7 knot.

What could have gone wrong with the brush? How do I take it up with the manufacturer?

I do not have any issues with water, humidity etc at my end and am not able to understand the reason behind this huge shedding. 

I don't find an email referencing this brush our your experience with it. Sorry, if I missed one. I've been taking a break. 

What would you have me do?

3 1,905
 12-17-2022, 06:01 PM
User Info
Hate to hear you're having issues but you bought a 2nd hand brush. As already stated, there is no way to know how the previous owner treated it. It's not the artisans fault for someone else's potential mistreatment. To me that equates to buying a used car that the previous owner never changed the oil but wanting the manufacturer to be responsible when the engine failed.

If the knot cannot be salvaged then no need to junk a beautiful brush. Just replace the knot.

156 4,367
 12-18-2022, 05:01 AM
User Info
I had this exact same thing happen to a well respected boar brush when I first started out. The brush was fine at first, but after several months it began shedding. I mixed a teaspoon of borax in a cup of water and soaked the brush up into the handle for an hour. Every 10 minutes I would swirl the brush in the solution and then comb it all around digging the comb into the knot at the handle and then down. After the hour I rinsed it and then hand lathered it with dawn dish soap. Rinsed it again and let it dry. I combed it again and the brush stopped shedding completely.

I realized that I had not been giving the knot a good rinse after each use. Being new I didn’t want to get water up into the knot at the handle and as a result soap built up in the knot which caused the shedding.

You might try this and see if it helps.

0 8
 12-18-2022, 08:15 AM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
  • North Central Colorado, USA
User Info
When did you buy it, who did you buy it from, where was it stuck due to COVID restrictions, and do you have the owner's card (with photo, Knot Code, and serial number) that was sent along with the brush to its original buyer?

3 1,905
 12-21-2022, 02:21 PM
User Info
(12-15-2022, 07:55 PM)chazt Wrote: In my experience it’s the rare product (of any category) that comes with an automatically transferable warranty. AFAIK, most products are warranted strictly to the original owner.

Am sorry Charlie I missed your reply earlier somehow. I have tried it a few times already (shampooing) with very little success. Still losing 6-7 on avg per shave.

4 1,429
 12-21-2022, 02:33 PM
User Info
(12-18-2022, 08:15 AM)ChiefBroom Wrote: When did you buy it, who did you buy it from, where was it stuck due to COVID restrictions, and do you have the owner's card (with photo, Knot Code, and serial number) that was sent along with the brush to its original buyer?
It was bought in July 21 from one Mr. Eric Young on Wet shaving Enablers forum. It was used twice by him and when I bought this brush from him I got it shipped to my friend Frank Lipani of Ethos. He had been keeping some of my other stuff and couldn't ship due to covid restrictions and to a large extent his busy schedule . June 22 I got it delivered along with my box full of stuff at Texas from where my friend got it safely to India.

As for stocking of my stuff is concerned, there were 3 more brushes which Frank had with him and none of them sheds at all.

This is a k7 knot. I do have the knot code somewhere and the black tube container in which it was shipped.

Thanks. [Image: d9f413d41cddc0b67932c85ae6ade439.jpg]

4 1,429
 12-21-2022, 02:43 PM
User Info
(12-17-2022, 06:01 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Hate to hear you're having issues but you bought a 2nd hand brush. As already stated, there is no way to know how the previous owner treated it. It's not the artisans fault for someone else's potential mistreatment. To me that equates to buying a used car that the previous owner never changed the oil but wanting the manufacturer to be responsible when the engine failed.

If the knot cannot be salvaged then no need to junk a beautiful brush. Just replace the knot.
Am sorry for not replying earlier. Work been keeping me away last few days. Eric is a stand up guy and is a popular enthusiast on some of the forums. If he says he had used the brush twice, I got to believe him. Knot looks great in his advt too. It worked fine for the first few uses and then it started to shed and continues to do so.

4 1,429
 12-21-2022, 02:49 PM
User Info
(12-18-2022, 05:01 AM)Cannon Cocker Wrote: I had this exact same thing happen to a well respected boar brush when I first started out. The brush was fine at first, but after several months it began shedding. I mixed a teaspoon of borax in a cup of water and soaked the brush up into the handle for an hour. Every 10 minutes I would swirl the brush in the solution and then comb it all around digging the comb into the knot at the handle and then down. After the hour I rinsed it and then hand lathered it with dawn dish soap. Rinsed it again and let it dry. I combed it again and the brush stopped shedding completely.

I realized that I had not been giving the knot a good rinse after each use. Being new I didn’t want to get water up into the knot at the handle and as a result soap built up in the knot which caused the shedding.

You might try this and see if it helps.
I would not risk or advise combing a badger brush while it is still wet. Am also not sure if the already treated badger hair would go fine with borax or something similar. Thanks for the input though. May try it with my other boar and horse hair brushes.

4 1,429
 12-21-2022, 03:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-21-2022, 02:21 PM)Jags009 Wrote:
(12-15-2022, 07:55 PM)chazt Wrote: In my experience it’s the rare product (of any category) that comes with an automatically transferable warranty. AFAIK, most products are warranted strictly to the original owner.

Am sorry Charlie I missed your reply earlier somehow. I have tried it a few times already (shampooing) with very little success. Still losing 6-7 on avg per shave.

That’s very frustrating. Fwiw, I’ve seen it happen more often with 3 band knots compared to the 2 band variety. Perhaps because they’re a thinner fiber? I don’t know, just theorizing. Truthfully though, of the four or five dozen brushes I have owned now or previously, only 3 were genuinely problematic.
Good luck, JagdeepSmile

22 7,000
 12-21-2022, 07:37 PM
User Info
Jagdeep, I want to make sure I understand the chronology.  Did you buy the brush in July 2021 and receive it in June 2022?  If so, you bought it more recently than  the  "couple of years back" you mention in your original post.

60 12,341
 12-21-2022, 10:34 PM
User Info
(12-21-2022, 07:37 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Jagdeep, I want to make sure I understand the chronology.  Did you buy the brush in July 2021 and receive it in June 2022?  If so, you bought it more recently than  the  "couple of years back" you mention in your original post.
Yes Ricardo. I pulled the transaction history yesterday only to realize it was bought in Jul 21. I had been stocking a lot of stuff with Frank for some time, misjudged the date.

4 1,429
 12-22-2022, 06:42 AM
User Info
(12-17-2022, 05:50 PM)ChiefBroom Wrote:
(12-15-2022, 07:44 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Bought this almost new from a BST site a couple of years back but it was stuck in USA for a long time due to covid restrictions and received it few months back, thanks to a friend holidaying in USA.

I do not have any issues with water, humidity etc at my end and am not able to understand the reason behind this huge shedding. 

I don't find an email referencing this brush our your experience with it. Sorry, if I missed one. I've been taking a break. 

What would you have me do?

Hello Chief. Unable to reach you on DM..

4 1,429
 12-22-2022, 06:58 AM
User Info
IMO, the seller should be reimbursing you. Not Paladin.
I sold a gorgeous Simpson 59 from the Grey Box era. I coddle my brushes. The buyer reported to me that the brush was shedding and I gave him his money back---no questions asked. AND paid for the return shipping to boot.
That's the way to earn an excellent reputation on the shave fora BST's.

102 8,038
 12-22-2022, 09:35 AM
User Info
(12-22-2022, 06:58 AM)primotenore Wrote: IMO, the seller should be reimbursing you. Not Paladin.
I sold a gorgeous Simpson 59 from the Grey Box era. I coddle my brushes. The buyer reported to me that the brush was shedding and I gave him his money back---no questions asked. AND paid for the return shipping to boot.
Grey box era viz a vie a brush with two uses.. Big difference.

I have not reached out to the seller yet because I personally think it's not his fault as the brush was as good as new when he sold it. I also think Paladin didn't make a faulty brush deliberately but with all this dyeing, various hair batches which are treated differently, hand tying the knot anything could go wrong.

4 1,429
 12-22-2022, 10:18 AM
User Info
(12-22-2022, 09:35 AM)Jags009 Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 06:58 AM)primotenore Wrote: IMO, the seller should be reimbursing you. Not Paladin.
Grey box era viz a vie a brush with two uses.. Big difference.

I have not reached out to the seller yet because I personally think it's not his fault as the brush was as good as new when he sold it. I also think Paladin didn't make a faulty brush deliberately but with all this dyeing, various hair batches which are treated differently, hand tying the knot anything could go wrong.

A sale of a used brush is still a sale of a "pre-owned" brush.  Also, the seller had to have been aware. Of this, there can be no doubt.
I will refrain from further comments. Good luck.

102 8,038