01-01-2023, 09:01 AM
User Info
I picked up an Ewin Jagger long handle at a consignment store for just $16. It’s the second modern DE razor that I have. The other is a Fatip. It shaves nicely, but what is with the smooth handle? I have never seen a vintage razor without knurling on the handle. The reason for the knurling seems so obvious.

0 184
 01-02-2023, 02:00 AM
User Info
I guess it’s a cost-cutting measure. I have an EJ DE87, which has a smooth handle. It’s very nice, but I wish it had a better grip. Nowadays, this razor is dedicated to my travel kit.

0 81
 01-02-2023, 08:17 AM
User Info
I’ve now shaved with it a couple of times, and I haven’t had any problem with it slipping in my hand. I has a really good balance and feel. It makes me wonder if modern DEs offer any improvements over vintage. On the other hand, it’s hard to beat the feel of the Gillette Slim.

0 184
 01-02-2023, 01:20 PM
User Info
(01-02-2023, 08:17 AM)Ilnones Wrote: I’ve now shaved with it a couple of times, and I haven’t had any problem with it slipping in my hand. I has a really good balance and feel. It makes me wonder if modern DEs offer any improvements over vintage. On the other hand, it’s hard to beat the feel of the Gillette Slim.

I have the DE89 chrome polished handle. I never had problems with it slipping, but when I used it earlier this year it seemed a bit more slippery. I have it in the lined barrel and the gold barley handle which do offer a nice grip. It is a very nice looking, good performing razor. Worst case scenario if you do have slipping issues, you can put a little alum on your hand if you have any, and that will give you a good grip.

6 1,161
 01-05-2023, 10:03 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
I think the original de89 had the fluted handle, and subsequently they released different textured ones. So maybe just an aesthetic choice to provide variety.
I had more issues with the pils razor slipping, but that was  smooth thin handle combined with heavy weight

19 459