01-09-2023, 04:03 AM
User Info
Gentlemen, let's see those acquisitions in January.

60 12,341
 01-11-2023, 01:53 PM
User Info
 01-11-2023, 02:51 PM
User Info
(01-11-2023, 01:53 PM)primotenore Wrote: [Image: LqPS5o5.jpg]
Attention to one's hygiene certainly has merit  Biggrin

0 485
 01-12-2023, 03:20 AM
User Info
The Holy Grail Razor have arrived!

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I found and ordered my Holy Grail Razor. It has now arrived, and it is a beauty. And it is, I strongly suspect, virtually unused. The magazine was full of vintage blades1 as well as a brass blade dummy.

Harking back from 1929, the razor is – to my eye – all but spotless. There is some oxidation of the silver plating near the tip, but no plate loss. The head tilting mechanism is nice and tight – not too stiff, not too loose. The plunger is quite stiff, but in the near future I plan on giving the whole razor a clean and a very light oiling.
The leather sheath is also in surprisingly fine condition. It is still soft and supple, and the scent is still nice and leathery. The lettering on the front is still nice and crisp. There is a few darker spots in the leather, and there is a tiny bit of cracking2 where the flap joins the main body. Oh, and a little bit of verdigris on the snap that holds the flap.
And that is about it.
Not at all bad for a razor that is closing in on one hundred years.

[Image: 2023-01-11-18.32.33-1024x311.jpg][Image: 2023-01-11-18.32.46-1024x247.jpg][Image: 2023-01-11-18.33.23-1024x185.jpg][Image: 2023-01-11-18.33.33-1024x191.jpg][Image: 2023-01-11-18.33.43-1024x191.jpg][Image: 2023-01-11-18.33.56-1024x195.jpg][Image: 2023-01-11-18.34.11-1024x438.jpg][Image: 2023-01-11-18.34.17-1024x228.jpg][Image: 2023-01-11-18.34.27-1024x461.jpg][Image: 2023-01-11-18.34.44-1024x275.jpg]
My Schick B2 – my Holy Grail – from all sides.

[Image: 2023-01-11-18.39.46-1-552x1024.jpg]
The original blades and dummy blade I found in the magazine.
In fact, it is very good for a razor that can look back on nine decades and some change. I was hoping to find a user grade razor, and found one that is way better than I dared to hope for. So next week3 I will put my newly acquired Schick B2 through its paces. A modern injector blade usually is good for two weeks shaving for me, so it should stay nice and sharp.
As a side note I have a patent for y’all today as well… the patent that is claimed for the Schick B. Stamped on the underside is the text “PAT.5-18-26.” This refers to US patent 1,584,811, which is a patent for a repeating razor. A repeating razor that has little to nothing to do with the Schick B in concept or operation, but a repeating razor none the less. So the patent claimed on the Type B isn’t for the type B… that would be US patent 1,730,167.
Before I wrap up, I would like to tell you one thing; If you have a Holy Grail Razor that you have yet to find or procure, keep looking. I was on the look out for years before one suddenly appeared. And it was worth the wait!

---
Footnotes:

*) Which I am not going to use to shave with. The inside of a razor isn’t the dirtiest environment, but 94 years is a long time.

^) Not surprising, since this would be rubbing against the edge of the plunger.

*^) More likely the next couple of weeks.

3 8,097
 01-12-2023, 04:49 AM
User Info
Hans, it seems you have an excellent specimen.  Enjoy tinkering with it!

60 12,341
 01-12-2023, 06:05 AM
User Info
Congratulations Hans, it's beautiful!

0 485
 01-12-2023, 06:28 AM
User Info
(01-11-2023, 02:51 PM)Uncas Wrote:
(01-11-2023, 01:53 PM)primotenore Wrote: [Image: LqPS5o5.jpg]
Attention to one's hygiene certainly has merit  Biggrin
Thanks, Bill. If I am going to stink, it'll be with this stank.

102 8,038
 01-12-2023, 06:33 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Congratulations, Hans! It’s a gorgeous example. Enjoy it in good health and may you have happy shavesSmile

22 7,000
 01-13-2023, 03:26 PM
User Info
Fatip Il Grande Copper Open Comb

[Image: crz3Zgv.png]

6 1,161
 01-13-2023, 07:13 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Good looking tool. EnjoySmile

22 7,000
 01-14-2023, 11:40 AM
User Info
(01-13-2023, 07:13 PM)chazt Wrote: Good looking tool. EnjoySmile

Thanks! I am anxious to see it. I haven't heard all the best things about their finishes. I still have to get to using my recently acquired Focus Tritok SS. I am behind, haven't been shaving much recently.

6 1,161
 01-14-2023, 03:10 PM
User Info
I have every finish they make Mike except that copper, and it looks great. The only one that's given me any trouble is the black chrome, and because it's brass underneath it just gives it a vintage look that I like. The open comb models are great shavers and have seen many brands of blades over the years, and contrary to how they look, are not overly aggressive shavers. I also have a couple of the closed comb version "Gentile", but would have to go digging for them. IMHO they will shave with anything else I have ever tried, new or vintage. My plain old nickel Piccolo leaves " from my cold dead hands".

0 485
 01-14-2023, 03:18 PM
User Info
(01-14-2023, 03:10 PM)Uncas Wrote: I have every finish they make Mike except that copper, and it looks great. The only one that's given me any trouble is the black chrome, and because it's brass underneath it just gives it a vintage look that I like. The open comb models are great shavers and have seen many brands of blades over the years, and contrary to how they look, are not overly aggressive shavers. I also have a couple of the closed comb version "Gentile", but would have to go digging for them. IMHO they will shave with anything else I have ever tried, new or vintage. My plain old nickel Piccolo leaves " from my cold dead hands".

Good to hear. I did almost get a black metal one. I had trouble choosing the finish until I saw this copper one. My only other issue is I have heard of blade alignment issues. I wanted to get an open comb because I was unsure of the efficiency of the closed comb. I was concerned it might be too mild. if I like this one, I had my eye on one of the OC slants. It is on it's way so I hopefully I will get a shave in sometime next week with it.

6 1,161
 01-14-2023, 03:21 PM
User Info
Alien Shave Pink Magic "Bubble Gum"

[Image: 9ekftbL.jpg][Image: FNyGVKX.jpg]

6 1,161
 01-14-2023, 04:19 PM
User Info
(01-14-2023, 03:18 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:
(01-14-2023, 03:10 PM)Uncas Wrote: I have every finish they make Mike except that copper, and it looks great. The only one that's given me any trouble is the black chrome, and because it's brass underneath it just gives it a vintage look that I like. The open comb models are great shavers and have seen many brands of blades over the years, and contrary to how they look, are not overly aggressive shavers. I also have a couple of the closed comb version "Gentile", but would have to go digging for them. IMHO they will shave with anything else I have ever tried, new or vintage. My plain old nickel Piccolo leaves " from my cold dead hands".

Good to hear. I did almost get a black metal one. I had trouble choosing the finish until I saw this copper one. My only other issue is I have heard of blade alignment issues. I wanted to get an open comb because I was unsure of the efficiency of the closed comb. I was concerned it might be too mild. if I like this one, I had my eye on one of the OC slants. It is on it's way so I hopefully I will get a shave in sometime next week with it.
Alignment has never been a problem for me, some of my FaTips need a little bit of fiddling but no more than a vintage Old Type, others need none at all. There is more drama to be found elsewhere. I have 2 of the OC slants, a Piccolo and a Grande, both in gold. I honestly don't see any difference from a regular open comb, but I've never felt big love for slants anyway. The nice thing about FaTips is you don't have to choke up a wad of dough to play, I guess I've picked up 2 or 3 a year for over a decade, and have gifted to my Grandsons and other newbe wet shavers. I think you will be surprised at how many different blades give nice shaves.
That copper should develop a really nice patina over time, Congrats Mike.

0 485
 01-14-2023, 06:03 PM
User Info
(01-14-2023, 04:19 PM)Uncas Wrote:
(01-14-2023, 03:18 PM)Mike Distress Wrote:

Alignment has never been a problem for me, some of my FaTips need a little bit of fiddling but no more than a vintage Old Type, others need none at all. There is more drama to be found elsewhere. I have 2 of the OC slants, a Piccolo and a Grande, both in gold. I honestly don't see any difference from a regular open comb, but I've never felt big love for slants anyway. The nice thing about FaTips is you don't have to choke up a wad of dough to play, I guess I've picked up 2 or 3 a year for over a decade, and have gifted to my Grandsons and other newbe wet shavers. I think you will be surprised at how many different blades give nice shaves.
That copper should develop a really nice patina over time, Congrats Mike.

Thanks, Bill. I'm glad to hear that. I know the Internet can be full of drama and sometimes you take these things with a grain of sand. I see a lot of people that have Fatips, so I figure they can't be all that bad. And, yes, they definitely come in at a great price point. I would definitely like to add at least a gold and a chrome finish to my collection if it turns out that I enjoy this one.

6 1,161
 01-22-2023, 03:11 PM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
Went hunting today.  As mentioned before, it was to the Silver Moon antique store near us where my sister-in-law and her husband have a stand.  This has been a successful hunting ground for me in the past.  And today didn't disappoint.

My mission was for any good vintage shave gear, of course, and, new on the list, was a gravy boat to use as a soap scuttle & brush holder as shown by Huck in another thread.  Doing the circuit I did find a suitable gravy boat for only $10.  But left it on the shelf to finish my rounds.  Then, through the clearing, just to the right of me, there THEY were.  A small heard of......brushes.  I'm a sucker for a good, usable vintage brush.  On one shelf was a sweet looking Ever Ready.  The price was right, the knot was in good shape.  But the other three to the left had to be scoped.  The Pear felt so good in my hand.  As did the small Century.  But they did shed quite a bit as I worked my hand over them.  So I picked up The Albino Century.  Felt good in the hand.  No shed as I worked the knot, and it was tight.  Like it had only been used MAYBE a dozen times or so.  I wasn't too sure about the $15 price tag.  But I had a hunch.  Kept hold of it and finished the circuit to check out.  A short while later I did some snooping on the web, and YES!  Saw the same brush for sale for $46.  Gentleman, I am very much looking forward to tomorrow nights shave with it.    For a size comparison, here it is in the top pick next to the Mystery Brush and my Peregrino.  The bottom two pics are from the happy hunting grounds down the road.
[Image: 9ZF5hHi.jpg]
[Image: QTCBW6E.jpg]
[Image: nYp4wcY.jpg]

0 923
 01-22-2023, 07:18 PM
User Info
Ron, you definitively picked out the nicest specimen from among the three you found.

60 12,341
 01-22-2023, 08:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(01-22-2023, 03:11 PM)2Chops Wrote: Went hunting today.  As mentioned before, it was to the Silver Moon antique store near us where my sister-in-law and her husband have a stand.  This has been a successful hunting ground for me in the past.  And today didn't disappoint.

My mission was for any good vintage shave gear, of course, and, new on the list, was a gravy boat to use as a soap scuttle & brush holder as shown by Huck in another thread.  Doing the circuit I did find a suitable gravy boat for only $10.  But left it on the shelf to finish my rounds.  Then, through the clearing, just to the right of me, there THEY were.  A small heard of......brushes.  I'm a sucker for a good, usable vintage brush.  On one shelf was a sweet looking Ever Ready.  The price was right, the knot was in good shape.  But the other three to the left had to be scoped.  The Pear felt so good in my hand.  As did the small Century.  But they did shed quite a bit as I worked my hand over them.  So I picked up The Albino Century.  Felt good in the hand.  No shed as I worked the knot, and it was tight.  Like it had only been used MAYBE a dozen times or so.  I wasn't too sure about the $15 price tag.  But I had a hunch.  Kept hold of it and finished the circuit to check out.  A short while later I did some snooping on the web, and YES!  Saw the same brush for sale for $46.  Gentleman, I am very much looking forward to tomorrow nights shave with it.    For a size comparison, here it is in the top pick next to the Mystery Brush and my Peregrino.  The bottom two pics are from the happy hunting grounds down the road.

A well told anecdote, Ron. Thanks for sharing. I really should try to get to some antique shops.

22 7,000
 01-23-2023, 03:38 PM
User Info
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! Congrats Ron

0 485