10-11-2012, 07:03 PM
User Info
Please try to convince me to buy a Cobra Classic. I am intrigued. Since one of the reasons for DE shaving is a savings over cartridge razors, it's tough to justify $1/blade, but some things I have read have indicated up to 10 shaves from these blades, which is a wash if one is getting only 3 shaves from a regular DE blade. More importantly, I want a VERY close shave with NO irritation, and I'm willing to pay for it. How problematic or beneficial is the shape of the razor?

18 242
 10-11-2012, 07:05 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The Cobra is an interesting razor. I initially liked it a lot but then started getting some irritation. You will get a very close shave with the Cobra...there is no debating that.

45 16,289
 10-11-2012, 07:16 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
With the Artist Club Professional blades - you're going to get all the closeness you're ever likely to need. You can get an irritation free shave - but you must remember to go light pressure.

With the Artist Club Pro Guard blades - you're going to get just a bit less aggression but without irritation - this blade is a bit more forgiving regarding pressure.

YMMV between the two blades for sure.

Regarding blade costs - you don't have to look very far online to find them for .60 per blade for the Feather Professionals.

The Feather Artist Club blades are, in my opinion, the best blade out there when compared with traditional DE/SE/Injector type blades.

29 466
 10-11-2012, 07:21 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I did love the razor, it is very good and provides excellent shaves. I don't see those blades going for more then 5 shaves on my beard, YMMV of course.

88 4,233
 10-12-2012, 05:00 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
It's a great razor and the only modern alternative for an SE.

I can get a lot of shaves out of the Feather Professional blades but I find the razor to be just perfect with the Kai Captain Titan Mild blades. While they are more expensive than the Feather's, (which, as mentioned, you can find for around $15), the comfort of the Kai's is well worth it to me.

The has really turned out to be a hobby for me so I find that the extra cost involved for the SE blades is worth it. I rotate out several DE and SE razors so that is another issue for me that negates the extra Kai blade cost.

If you want an SE razor and don't want the cost of the Cobra, have you considered the Schick Injectors or the Gem, etc. SE's? They are still available, some even NOS for great prices and the blades are readily available with excellent prices as well.

I can get a great, irritation free shave from all of the above but IMO, the Injectors provide the most worry free, almost always irritation free shave. I find it VERY hard to cause weepers, almost impossible to nick myself and truly infrequent irritation with an Injector and always a great shave.
Do some research and choose your model(s) wisely if you decide to go the Injector route.

Otherwise, I surely endorse the Cobra if you want the modern SE alternative. Biggrin

6 905
 10-12-2012, 05:21 AM
User Info
I'm not as cost conscious as I should be so my issue with the Cobra came down to the handle; it's just too slippery when wet. If it had knurling all around the handle I probably would not have gotten rid of it. It irked me that I was going to commit to "specialty" blades and an expensive razor and would have to worry about whether I could hold onto it.

To echo EHV's comments, I found that injector razors give about 90% of the shave but at about 20% of the price. Plus blades are cheaper and easier to find.

72 1,407
 10-12-2012, 07:36 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
From experience the Cobra is a fantastic shaver but the main problem is hunting down blades that you can afford. You basically have two brand choices. Feather or Kai. Both work very well but I favored the Kai. You can generally get at least 10 multi pass shaves from one blade.

100 12,438
 10-12-2012, 09:39 AM
User Info
Great razor that will provide very close shaves, especially, with the Feather Pros. You will just have to try it to see if you like it or not. Try hunting down a used one if possible. It may take you a while to get used to the razor as the handle is quite different and the blades are very sharp, so your skin may need to adjust to them. Good luck.

75 20,883
 10-12-2012, 01:25 PM
User Info
(10-12-2012, 05:21 AM)jpakstis Wrote: To echo EHV's comments, I found that injector razors give about 90% of the shave but at about 20% of the price. Plus blades are cheaper and easier to find.

I would echo the echo. If you look closely at the Cobra it is fairly clear it was designed after a Schick injector, though the loading mechanism and handle is different. (I posted some photos over on B&B comparing the Cobra to a Type F.) Blade angle is pretty much identical.

For me it comes down to the blades, and as the Cobra is currently the only production safety razor that accepts the Feathers and KAIs - my preferred blades - the Cobra is my only razor. When Tradere or iKon makes their version I will have two razors. Biggrin

51 386
 10-13-2012, 03:27 PM
User Info
As far as I am concerned, no other razor provides the closeness and comfort of the Cobra (my beloved Joris/Plissons come close, however). Every now and then, if I haven't used the Cobra for a few days, I "lose" the proper shaving angle and that can cause a bit of irritation, but it comes back to me quickly.

Yes, the handle can be slippery, but so are the handles on some of my other favorite razors. After each pass and lather re-application, I wipe off the razor and my fingers with a towel (takes 5 seconds)and I'm ready to go.

There are several sources that offer a cartridge of 20 Feather Professional blades for $13. I have no problem getting 7 or 8 good, close shaves with each blade.

66 692
 10-14-2012, 11:27 AM
User Info
When I decided to get one, I was aware that if I didn't like it, I could sell it to someone on the forums almost immediately. At the time, they were sold out at Classic Shaving, and nobody was selling theirs. Luckily for me, Classic was soon restocked, and I didn't hesitate for an instant. Both types of blades are good, but in my case, I prefer the quality of the shaves and the comfort of the Kai Captain Titan Mild blades. The best price is a seller in NY, Shear Integrity dot com, selling 3 packs for $48. I have come to realize I could easily use this razor and blade combination exclusively, without looking back. No product is perfect, but I've found that the Cobra is close enough to perfect for me. I am seeing at least 8 smooth shaves per blade.

24 1,150
 10-14-2012, 11:43 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I rotate through a number of different DEs, SEs, and injectors. The Cobra Classic consistently gives me the closest, most irritation free shaves. I find the handle to be perfect ergonomically, for the way I hold it. I also have not had issues with any razor handle being slippery - my fingers and razor handle do not get wet or covered with lather when I shave.

I would take the Cobra over an injector any day. The blades for use in the Cobra are much more to my liking, and I really like the greater width of the business end of the razor.

However, I'm not sure I would recommend the Cobra for cost savings over cartridge razors. The same person that could stretch the use of a blade in the Cobra over 10 shaves might also be able to stretch the use of a cartridge over a greater number of shaves. Truly, your mileage may vary. I would, however, recommend the Cobra over cartridge razors for a far superior shaving experience, and a far superior shave.

43 1,690
 10-14-2012, 11:57 AM
User Info
(10-14-2012, 11:43 AM)Andrew Wrote: recommend the Cobra over cartridge razors for a far superior shaving experience, and a far superior shave.

I heartily agree with this statement!

24 1,150
 10-18-2012, 09:06 AM
User Info
I have been using the Cobra exclusively for the last couple of months and it is damn near perfect for me. Only problem is that if my mind wonders and I use a bit too much pressure, time to dial 911.

6 126
 10-18-2012, 04:28 PM
User Info
I've been convinced. I pulled the trigger and ordered one. Worst case scenario is it doesn't work for me and I take a modest hit selling it used, and a forum member gets a really good deal for being more patient than I.

18 242
 10-18-2012, 04:40 PM
User Info
Congratulations and enjoy the Cobra!

75 20,883
 10-18-2012, 09:38 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Only downside is that it will probably ruin your desire to buy another razor Wink

27 1,294
 10-20-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
My Cobra Classic arrived in the mail today and I had 3 days of growth to tackle. This is definitely THE SMOOTHEST razor I have ever used. There was NO irritation after 3 passes. When I applied an aftershave lotion, there wasn't the usual burning sensation. I used a Proraso sensitive skin preshave and soap and a Simpsons Wee Scot brush (which I also love), and the Feather Professional blade that comes with the razor. I didn't find this razor to be aggressive at all - SHARP - but not aggressive. I had my wife shave the back of my neck and she also commented on how smooth the shaving was. I'm looking forward to my next shave.

18 242
 10-20-2012, 08:25 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Awesome!
Thanks for sharing your *new* Cobra shaving experience Biggrin

9 1,684
 10-21-2012, 06:17 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Congratulations. The joy of the Cobra is now yours.

I find the shaves with the Feather Pros become even smoother over the second through fourth or fifth shaves.

Don't forget to try some Kai Captain Titan Milds (with Pink Technology - how appropriate in this season of breast cancer awareness).

43 1,690