10-12-2012, 09:56 AM
User Info
OK, I admit it. I've always stated the R41 is a face eater. I had very bad luck with it when I had it in my rotation. Today for a change I had the house to myself and I decided to give it another go. One last try after a year of not using it. One last attempt to tame the beast.

I did the best prep I could. I went menthol all the way. From my face wash, to Proraso pre-shave, proraso Green cream, and a Semogue 1305 boar for the tast. I loaded up a fresh Personna Red in the face eater and went for a nice long peaceful shave using the best technique I have learned over the last two years.

I must say, it was a very good shave. Not great, but a DFS with only one very minor nick just above my lip. Very pleased with the shave, and the fact I came out of it without needing a blood transfusion.

129 6,685
 10-12-2012, 10:31 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
It does change over time. What I found was a slicker lather works better with R41.

88 4,233
 10-12-2012, 11:52 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-12-2012, 10:31 AM)beartrap Wrote: It does change over time. What I found was a slicker lather works better with R41.

+1

I love the R41, it and the Futur are my top favs. The blade matters a lot as well, I couldn't use some of my usual blades in it, like the Personna Labs or Polsilver, they were all rough and/or left a lot of nicks. Astra SP ended up being the magic ticket for me, smooth, comfortable and no nicks.

31 1,510
 10-12-2012, 04:56 PM
User Info
i have revisited it three times and just do not see it as a comfortable shaver.
Good luck to you gents who decide to keep it. Mine is going to the selling block very soon.

75 20,883