10-13-2012, 03:01 AM
User Info
Hello new to forum! Great site.

Was looking shave products with basic forulas that did not have a slew of chemicals.

Kurt

2 100
 10-13-2012, 05:20 AM
User Info
You might look into some of the small soapmakers, Mikes Natural Soaps, Mama Bear, Prairie Creations and the like. Many of them have wonderfully simplified ingredient lists.

2 362
 10-13-2012, 06:00 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Kurt,

What do you prefer? Hard soaps, soft soaps, or creams. Do you have sensitive skin?

For hard soaps I would recommend Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF). Very simple, clean, pleasant smell, and an all around great soap.

For a cream that gives excellent shaves I would recommend a product Krissy at Prairie Creations makes called KISS (keep it simple & straightforward). You can get it scented or unscented. She is a wonderful artisan soap maker to work with. She also makes some excellent hard soaps.

Prairie Creations

173 23,546
 10-13-2012, 06:23 AM
User Info
Thanks for the response!

(10-13-2012, 06:00 AM)Johnny Wrote: Kurt,

What do you prefer? Hard soaps, soft soaps, or creams. Do you have sensitive skin?

For hard soaps I would recommend Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF). Very simple, clean, pleasant smell, and an all around great soap.

For a cream that gives excellent shaves I would recommend a product Krissy at Prairie Creations makes called KISS (keep it simple stupid). You can get it scented or unscented. She is a wonderful artisan soap maker to work with. She also makes some excellent hard soaps.

Prairie Creations

2 100
 10-13-2012, 06:35 AM
User Info
My suggestions would be for Prairie Creations as Johnny mentioned as well as Mike's Natural Soaps as Seth mentioned.

31 7,914
 10-13-2012, 08:35 AM
User Info
(10-13-2012, 03:01 AM)kurtis Wrote: Hello new to forum! Great site.

Was looking shave products with basic forulas that did not have a slew of chemicals.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,
It is the unscented soaps you are after.
If "chemicals" are a detractor for you, I have bad news: they are all made with "chemicals". I agree with previous posters, unscented artisan soaps you should try to find.
Before buying, if you see anywhere in their Ingredients List Parfum/Fragrance listed, that's where dozens of "chemicals" hide.

Otherwise, all soaps and creams have "basic formulas"
This is my uneducated, very simple answer.

7 358
 10-13-2012, 08:59 AM
User Info
MdC is about as small an ingredient list as you can find, but it's incredibly expensive.

It's not marketed as shaving shoap, but Clearly Natural glycerine bar soap is as good as any glycerine shave soap (marketed as shave soap) you'll encounter. You might be able to find it locally. I get mine from the supermarket, but I've read threads that say it's at the Dollar Store. Just put it in a bowl, nuke it for a few seconds at a time until it melts (don't walk away) and let it harden and you have shave soap in a bowl. Add scent or not as you wish.

Clearly Natural

I couldn't find an ingredient list though. I did see where they 5# melt and pour bars.

32 6,309
 10-13-2012, 11:29 AM
User Info
(10-13-2012, 05:20 AM)sethleupagus Wrote: You might look into some of the small soapmakers, Mikes Natural Soaps, Mama Bear, Prairie Creations and the like. Many of them have wonderfully simplified ingredient lists.

+1 Might also want to look at Mystic Water Soap.

75 20,883
 10-13-2012, 12:57 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I will just bypass the ingredients list issue and recommend what I believe is the best value in shaving cream around, Prorasso. I have not been disappointed by any product they make. Very little cream is needed for a great lather. A great place to start with either soap or cream.

16 545
 10-13-2012, 03:51 PM
User Info
(10-13-2012, 11:29 AM)celestino Wrote: +1 Might also want to look at Mystic Water Soap.

That would be my suggestion. It whips up a great, slick lather in no time and leaves your face feeling awesome. the great scents are a bonus.

0 836
 10-13-2012, 10:39 PM
User Info
I would totally suggest Mitchell's Wool Fat. Very simple and straight forward ingredient list. Same formula they used in 1893. As long as your skin can tolerate lanolin this is a simple hard soap with a clean fresh smell which will work with any cologne or after shave. It may take you a few days to get a great lather as some people find it hard to lather, but it is one of my favorites and a very short ingredient list.

129 6,685
 10-14-2012, 01:28 AM
User Info
Welcome aboard Kurt. Well it's not that difficult to find products with minimal chemicals but there's no guarantee you will be pleased with their performance. Ten years ago I would have made different recommendations on shaving soap than I will today. What with all the changes in formulas/suppliers I think it would be easier to crack the Nobel Prize Committee's code than find out who is actually making shave soaps for the three Ts.

With shave creams I'm more at ease so long as it's made by Creithons, but with soaps Mitchel's Wool Fat and Harris Almond currently top my list.

Regards,
Squire

0 500