10-13-2012, 05:08 PM
User Info
Based on preformance, not scents, which lanolin soap artisan do you prefer between Mikes Natural Soaps and Prairie Creations? If you have tried both, please express differences you have found in the two.
Thanks

0 9
 10-13-2012, 05:43 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I vote Mike's, spectacular skin care and super slick yogurty lather. I have never tried Prairie Creations, unless I am missing it I don't see options for samples anywhere.
When it comes to artisan soaps I always order a sample of scents that sound appealing to me. I do this not only to make sure I like the scent but also that they won't set me on fire,
something nice to know before putting down cash on full product. I did think about ordering 1 small puck of tallow/lanolin "Alpine Snowdrift" but that scent wasn't on
any of the drop down lists (it was for the tallow/beer blend oddly) so I just gave up and moved on.

31 1,510
 10-13-2012, 06:29 PM
User Info
Not to divert the topic, but since I can't use either because of the tallow, I would recommend JabonMan - especially the ones that have more lanolin.

8 279
 10-13-2012, 06:42 PM
User Info
I'll say this for Krissy at Prairie Creations. If you ever see a scent on her website that isn't 'available' in a product just contact her and she'll normally be willing to work with you. She made me a Lilac soap once that wasn't listed.

I've been a happy customer of hers for few years. I have at least 7 pucks of her products, and her tallow and lanolin pucks are among my favorite products in wet shaving.

0 252
 10-13-2012, 07:45 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(10-13-2012, 06:42 PM)GeneAut Wrote: I'll say this for Krissy at Prairie Creations. If you ever see a scent on her website that isn't 'available' in a product just contact her and she'll normally be willing to work with you. She made me a Lilac soap once that wasn't listed.

I've been a happy customer of hers for few years. I have at least 7 pucks of her products, and her tallow and lanolin pucks are among my favorite products in wet shaving.

+1 on all that Gene has written here. Krissy (Prairie Creations) will definitely work with you and do what she can to get you what you want.

Like Krissy, Mike (Mike's Naturals) puts out a quality product. Both of their shaving soaps give me excellent skin care. As for which is better, that will probably come down to personal preference. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

2 11,211
 10-13-2012, 08:00 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I feel ashamed, every time I read about PC soaps, I remember that I have a brand new puck that I promised to use and to review. I will do it next week for sure! I promise this to myself. It smells wonderful and looks like a great product. Until next week...

88 4,233
 10-13-2012, 08:15 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(10-13-2012, 08:00 PM)beartrap Wrote: I feel ashamed, every time I read about PC soaps, I remember that I have a brand new puck that I promised to use and to review. I will do it next week for sure! I promise this to myself. It smells wonderful and looks like a great product. Until next week...

What scent do you have, Steve?

10 1,120
 10-13-2012, 08:19 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-13-2012, 06:42 PM)GeneAut Wrote: I'll say this for Krissy at Prairie Creations. If you ever see a scent on her website that isn't 'available' in a product just contact her and she'll normally be willing to work with you. She made me a Lilac soap once that wasn't listed.

I shot her an email in regards to receiving a puck of tallow/lanolin in the Alpine Snowdrift variety, which is the main scent I want to try. Hopefully I'll hear back from her on Monday.

31 1,510
 10-13-2012, 09:17 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(10-13-2012, 08:15 PM)MickToley Wrote:
(10-13-2012, 08:00 PM)beartrap Wrote: I feel ashamed, every time I read about PC soaps, I remember that I have a brand new puck that I promised to use and to review. I will do it next week for sure! I promise this to myself. It smells wonderful and looks like a great product. Until next week...

What scent do you have, Steve?

Bay Rum! I can't wait for her to start making Kramperts variety. It's set for my Monday's shave, there is no going back, I hope I like it as much as I like the scent.

88 4,233
 10-14-2012, 12:54 PM
User Info
I haven't tried any of the Prairie Creation products or Mike's Natural Soaps but I actually just ordered some products from both of them this week. I ordered the Beau Brummel aftershave balm from PC and the Orange, Cedar and Black Pepper shave stick and a sample of the Barber Shop and a sample of the Hungarian Lavender from Mike's.

I should have them in next week and I look forward to trying them out!

0 123
 10-14-2012, 12:57 PM
User Info
(10-14-2012, 12:54 PM)koolereye Wrote: I haven't tried any of the Prairie Creation products or Mike's Natural Soaps but I actually just ordered some products from both of them this week. I ordered the Beau Brummel aftershave balm from PC and the Orange, Cedar and Black Pepper shave stick and a sample of the Barber Shop and a sample of the Hungarian Lavender from Mike's.

Awesome, did you select the lanolin version of PC? Will you keep us updated on what you think about both?

0 9
 10-14-2012, 01:25 PM
User Info
Great soaps.
A bit of a problem to get them here in Europe but Krissy has alwys provided me with an array of fabulous soaps.

The aloe and lanolin versions are among the best soap I have seen.
Almond and lavender still my favorites.

0 641
 10-14-2012, 02:22 PM
User Info
I have tried both Prairie Creations Tallow and Lanolin soap and Mike's Natural Tallow, Lanolin and Kokum shaving bar. Both are excellent shaving soaps, but I think that the Prairie Creations has the edge. Of all the shaving soaps I have ever used, Prairie Creations and Kell's Original Hemp Blend (a glycerine-based soap) are the two best and equally good.

(10-13-2012, 06:29 PM)ayodh Wrote: Not to divert the topic, but since I can't use either because of the tallow, I would recommend JabonMan - especially the ones that have more lanolin.

Does JabonMan have a website from which his soaps can be ordered? It sounds like this soap is very much worth trying.

0 303
 10-14-2012, 04:44 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
No website for Jabonman, I hear it's in the works. You can order from Manuel directly magafe_es@yahoo.es or PM him, he is member here "Jabonman", I think.

88 4,233
 10-14-2012, 05:27 PM
User Info
(10-14-2012, 12:57 PM)ryan83 Wrote:
(10-14-2012, 12:54 PM)koolereye Wrote: I haven't tried any of the Prairie Creation products or Mike's Natural Soaps but I actually just ordered some products from both of them this week. I ordered the Beau Brummel aftershave balm from PC and the Orange, Cedar and Black Pepper shave stick and a sample of the Barber Shop and a sample of the Hungarian Lavender from Mike's.

Awesome, did you select the lanolin version of PC? Will you keep us updated on what you think about both?

I didn't get a soap product from PC but an aftershave balm instead. Based upon her reputation here though, I'm sure I'll be trying one of her shave soaps at some point.

0 123
 10-14-2012, 05:33 PM
User Info
Calani also makes some soaps with lanolin - Oriental Plum, Ice Angel and Earl Grey.

12 1,243
 10-14-2012, 06:13 PM
User Info
Can someone describe Calani's Earl Gray scent? Thanks!!

3 543
 10-14-2012, 10:10 PM
User Info
(10-14-2012, 06:13 PM)john parker Wrote: Can someone describe Calani's Earl Gray scent? Thanks!!

This thread http://shavenook.com/thread-new-calani-s...soap-scent describes it as having a strong citrus scent.

12 1,243
 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM
User Info
(10-14-2012, 04:44 PM)beartrap Wrote: No website for Jabonman, I hear it's in the works. You can order from Manuel directly magafe_es@yahoo.es or PM him, he is member here "Jabonman", I think.

Thanks! I look forward to trying his soaps.

0 303
 10-23-2012, 07:14 PM
User Info
I got my Mike's Natural Soaps in today and the scents (orange, cedarwood & black pepper, barbershop, Hungarian lavender, and coconut) are outstanding! I used the orange, cedarwood, & black pepper stick this evening and I was extremely impressed with the glide of the lather. It was very slick even though the appearance of the lather was somewhat deceiving. It was probably operator error on my part as the lather was not super fluffy but it was dense and didn't lose consistency or dissipate once it was applied. I get the fluffiest lathers with my La Toja and Arko sticks but it felt like Mike's was a little more dense and the cushion and glide were very good.

I am a big fan of black pepper in products but it is usually not a dominant scent and tends to nestle in the background and that was the case in the OCB stick. The orange and cedarwood are the most noticeable but after I finished the shave, the black pepper came alive. It was not strong by any means but it rounded out the overall scent very nicely. The other three MNS were just samples but the barbershop smells incredible and I will definitely be getting one of his products with this scent. The Hungarian lavender smells very nice but it is completely different than the lavender scent of Tabac or any other type of lavender scent that I have smelled. The coconut smells great too.

I had also gotten my Beau Brummel aftershave in from Prairie Creations along with my sniffys of barbershop, gentleman's pipe, and wild wild west and my green Irish tweed soap and a sample of cool water soap.

PCs barbershop smells similar to MNS barbershop which means they both smell great! I will be getting a PC barbershop aftershave to complement the barbershop soap from MNS.

I must admit that the gentleman's pipe smells just like Krissy advertises:

Gentleman’s Pipe ~ A cozy scent with notes of cherrywood, raspberry, vanilla and tobacco.

This is a great scent and at some point, I am sure it will find its way into my shave cabinet. The wild wild west is a very apt name for the other sniffy as it reminds me of leather with a moderate musk-like scent. The cool water soap sample smells great and went over very well with my sons and has what I would call a "contemporary" smell, clean and youthful. It is also on the request list now. I really enjoyed the green Irish tweed bath soap, as did my sons. It lasted less than a week between the three of us using it, although it was a fairly small puck.

As for the Beau Brummel aftershave, it has a very nice feel and goes on great but unfortunately the scent did not appeal to my wife. To me, it smells similar to a spiced cinnamon tea. I was impressed with the quality of the scent as I was able to smell it throughout the day. It does tone down but it still retains the main body of the scent. Even though the Beau Brummel will need to find a new home, I was very pleased with the overall quality of the Prairie Creations products and look forward to buying some more of Krissy's soaps and aftershaves.

I didn't have a Prairie Creations shave soap to compare to Mike's Natural Soap shave stick but based upon all the rave reviews that I have seen posted about Krissy's products, I doubt you could go wrong with either of these shops products. Based upon my experience with the recent products I received from both of these folks, I know I will be a return customer to both shops.Smile

0 123