10-13-2012, 11:33 PM
User Info
So i have a couple jars of P.160 in my basement, a couple pucks of Scottish Fine, a puck of I Coloniali. And soon to have 5 pucks of MFW.

Currently they sit in a plastoc (non sealed) container in my basement with each puck in a zip lock bag. Is this satisfactory or is my chest freezer a better spot? Obviously I need this stuff to last a long time.

129 6,685
 10-14-2012, 08:29 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-13-2012, 11:33 PM)wingdo Wrote: So i have a couple jars of P.160 in my basement, a couple pucks of Scottish Fine, a puck of I Coloniali. And soon to have 5 pucks of MFW.

Currently they sit in a plastoc (non sealed) container in my basement with each puck in a zip lock bag. Is this satisfactory or is my chest freezer a better spot? Obviously I need this stuff to last a long time.

Yes, this is more than sufficient. The only one you have to worry about is the P160 which, if I am not mistaken, does not have any preservatives. This can be an issue for soft soaps and creams and it is possible for the P160 to go bad.

That said, if it is sealed and in a cool environment, you should be fine.

45 16,759
 10-14-2012, 08:39 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
As long as it is not exposed to air all of them should survive forever Wink

88 4,233
 10-14-2012, 08:35 PM
User Info
Doug, the P.160 tubs have recalled and I've been put in charge of collecting them. Send them to me for proper disposal. Biggrin

I discussed this with Joe in an e-mail and he told me exactly what Phil told you. Cool and dark and they're good for a very long time. That's good because I don't plan on croaking any time soon and I want to use the very last of my P.160 just before I'm planted.

I have a BBQ/beer/pickled eggs/croap refrigerator in the shop that hovers near 32°F and I keep my croaps from the kilo blocks in that, but it's overkill and I admit it. I wouldn't put them in the freezer. Before discussing it with Joe I did consider it.

Hard soaps can last for decades w/o special treatment. I'm currently using vintage Burma Shave and Barbershop Pro' or some such from 40 years ago and while the scent is quite muted (just right! IMO) the soap is pristine.

Tallow can age and become dark, and I suspect the barbershop wasn't brown when new, but it shaves great! The Burma Shave is still fairly white. I'd like to have a case of each to share- good stuff!

32 6,332
 10-14-2012, 11:35 PM
User Info
This is all good stuff. Thanks to everyone for their help. Ive not thought a ton about it until I picked up a few extra tubs of Joe's P.160 repacks as I love P.160 as my almond croap. And now with all the MWF I have all of a sudden it became something I started thinking about. It does no good to have a stockpile of something if it is going to go bad.

Thanks again, I feel much better about my stash.

129 6,685
 10-15-2012, 04:17 AM
User Info
Doug I've had unopened containers of shaving cream sit in the bathroom closet for 4-5 years with no noticeable degradation of product. Once opened though I make a point of using them up within a year or so.

On the other hand shaving soaps can sit there for 50 years with the only change being a loss of scent.

Regards,
Squire

0 500
 10-15-2012, 01:11 PM
User Info
I figured the Scottish Fine and MWF would last until I am dead and buried, the I Coloniali as a soft soap and most importantly the P.160 I was more nervous about.

129 6,685
 10-15-2012, 01:24 PM
User Info
Doug the only shaving cream I've had go bad was a jar of Cella that was inadvertently left slightly open (the girl used it and didn't tighten the lid back) for more than a year and the hot, humid, sub-tropical weather we have in the Deep South did a number on it.

Regards,
Squire

0 500