10-14-2012, 12:03 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I stopped at the new Art of Shaving location in Salt Lake City today (it did open last Thursday) and I found the same "old" things , as well as the totally ignorance of the two sales people (a man and a woman) and , of course , their arrogance.It was funny when I ask them where the shaving soaps where made and the answer was : "New York" , and if they could be use by vegans or vegetarians and both say yes...

Anyway , I did noticed that the new Sandalwood shaving cream is Made in USA , and no parabens listed.I asked the salesman (dont know even why) and told me that the new creams wont have parabens. He didnt have a clue where the shaving creams where made , even when he was reading "Made in USA" in front of him , as he was holding the cream box.Also this new Sandalwood cream contains parfum instead of the old mixture of various essential shaving oils (and the price have been increased , of course).

[Image: 20121013_174037.jpg?m=1350201073]

This new sandalwood scent tries to replicate the old one with essential oils , but smells quiet "synthetic" to me.I guess that the Lavender and the Lemon would have the same "fate".The Ocean Kelp was already Made in USA and have fragrance , instead of essential oil , for what I remember.

Well , no more shaving creams from AoS for me , thanks.I'll stick to the good , old , made in UK shaving creams , thank you very much.

86 7,123
 10-14-2012, 01:35 AM
User Info
Agree Teiste, Creightons has had a few fumbles in the past but their products remain the most reliable available to us.

Regards,
Squire

0 500
 10-14-2012, 07:30 AM
User Info
With the labeling you really cannot say. In the US sandalwood oil is not considered a natural substance since steam distillation is used to extract it. In the EU this process is allowed and it is considered a natural product. Since P&G is making no claims about the beneficial effect of the oil on skin it can be lumped under fragrance/parfum if it is only used to fragrant the product. A lot of companies do this to protect proprietary fragrances and to reduce costs. i.e they do not have to provide MSDS sheets etc. so in short it may or may not have sandalwood oil in it only P&G knows and it's their choice wether or not to say so in adverts or product description.

2 697
 10-14-2012, 08:09 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've only tried the Ocean Kelp but it's a great cream.
Would the AOS Lemon cream be different than the Ocean Kelp?

45 3,955
 10-14-2012, 08:18 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-14-2012, 08:09 AM)tgutc Wrote: I've only tried the Ocean Kelp but it's a great cream.

I have heard that it is a great cream. I imagine that the Lemon cream would be the same. I think (but may be mistaken) that Teiste's complaint was with the fragrance which now seems synthetic. Hopefully Teiste will clarify.

45 16,352
 10-14-2012, 09:42 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-14-2012, 08:18 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-14-2012, 08:09 AM)tgutc Wrote: I've only tried the Ocean Kelp but it's a great cream.

I have heard that it is a great cream. I imagine that the Lemon cream would be the same. I think (but may be mistaken) that Teiste's complaint was with the fragrance which now seems synthetic. Hopefully Teiste will clarify.

Yes , the new Sandalwood cream has a more "synthetic" scent , or at least to me , it was that way.Never been a big fan of the Sandalwood scent , but I can notice a difference between the EO and the fragrance one.

The Lemon ones on the store had parabens , the EO and made in England.The new ones wont have parabens , but I dont know about the EO and where are they gonna be made.

86 7,123
 10-14-2012, 09:46 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I was never really a fan of the AoS creams or soaps at any time, so I sure won't go running to look for these.

3 2,562
 10-14-2012, 10:56 AM
User Info
GF just got me the Lavender SC, made in England fortunately.

0 257
 10-14-2012, 10:58 AM
User Info
The old AoS sandalwood cream was my favorite sandalwood scent. Luckily it's only in my winter rotation so the jar will last me years.

129 6,685
 10-14-2012, 11:28 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-14-2012, 10:56 AM)boYexTRAORDINaRE Wrote: GF just got me the Lavender SC, made in England fortunately.

Yes, thats a good one : actually , my fav of AoS. However , i have CF lavender and I dont have the desire to get more AoS lavender.

86 7,123
 10-14-2012, 11:38 AM
User Info
Thanks for the information, Teiste.

75 20,883
 10-14-2012, 01:21 PM
User Info
Interesting. If they took out the EO's, which ars presumably more expensive than synthetic fragrances, what's the justification for the price increase? I haven't used the AOS sandalwood cream since last year, but I do recall thinking it was one of the nicer sandalwoods.

I bought an AOS lavender cream about 2 weeks ago and noticed the $ 2.00 price increase. It was made in England but I didn't check the ingredients.

I did read the ingredients in their after shave balm, which I don't use, and noticed it contains parabens. I know an increasing number of manufacturers are removing parabens and am surprised that AOS still uses them in any products.

37 2,965
 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM
User Info
I have the Ocean Kelp cream and even though the scent is synthetic is a great cream (not the best of course). Back in the day I finished a whole tub of the EO Lavender and loved it, it is a shame that they are increasing their prices and decreasing the quality of their creams.

10 605
 01-15-2013, 12:59 PM
User Info
I just got a $100 gift certificate for the AoS. I have no clue what to get?

I have CF Lavender, TOBS Sandalwood. Those 2 would have been my choices, but I'm happy with the others.

I'm almost thinking about what I can get that would sell best on BST so I can spend the money at BullGoose Smile ... Or maybe get one of the $100 stands???

191 1,552
 01-15-2013, 01:07 PM
User Info
I love their Ocean Kelp products. The pre-shave gel and after shave gels are nice and non greasy, and the smell is nice and fresh. Their Sandalwood EdT (essential oils) is also quite nice. While you could go with a stand, if you don't like them there is no resale value. The same should be said for their brushes. Zero resale value in them.

If you'd rather get cash, I think BST would get you a quick sale as there are plenty of decent items to get there. It all depends on how much you would want for the certificate. Just remember, you must set a price in BST, it's not an auction.

129 6,685
 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM
User Info
You could just sell the gift certificate. Much more transferable than goods.

9 2,988
 01-15-2013, 01:41 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Yeah, I've seen them sell on the fleebay for about 75% of face value, not bad.

88 4,233