10-14-2012, 09:32 AM
User Info
Yesterday I went driving around, trying to find soaps that I obtain through local retail stores. I got:
Van der Hagen: Target/others
C.O. Bigelow: Bath and Body Works
Macca Root: The Body Shop
The Real Shaving Company: Rite Aid

Between this and the Proraso White tub I just got delivered I should be set for a while. But are there any other good options that can be obtained through brick and mortar stores? Art of Shaving is another option, but a bit above the price range I want to hit yet (Everything else was $10 or below, with the Bigelow at 3 for $10).

10 2,062
 10-14-2012, 09:47 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
L'occitane shop has Cade in every Jersey mall.

88 4,233
 10-14-2012, 09:49 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The Body Shop and The Real Shaving CO are very good creams made by Creightons in UK.Those are excellent options if you want to have a good shaving cream for a "low" price.
New Proraso (C.O Bigelow) are good options too.The C.O. Bigelow in the small tube is the new Proraso cream (no parabens , SLE/SLS, Boric Acid) while the big tubes could be the old Proraso (parabens , SLE/SLS,Boric Acid)
Some of the current Art of Shaving creams are still being made in the UK , but Ill rather not shop there anymore , to be honest.
The Van Der Hagen Luxury soaps that you can find at Target are quiet decent too.Get the unscented one better.
However , if you want to get "better" stuff , online options are the only one available for most of us.

86 7,123
 10-14-2012, 09:59 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(10-14-2012, 09:47 AM)beartrap Wrote: L'occitane shop has Cade in every Jersey mall.

I would also suggest L' Occitane Cade. Don't get the container that's what makes it overpriced. Just get the refill puck and put it in your own container. Cade is absolutely top of the line. If you want to try a top of the line soap in your price range that would be the one. I believe the refill puck is around $10.

45 3,955
 10-14-2012, 10:03 AM
User Info
Crabtree and Evelyn makes underrated soaps, and they are inexpensive (I think $8 for a puck w/o the wooden bowl.)

12 1,243
 10-14-2012, 11:17 AM
User Info
(10-14-2012, 09:59 AM)tgutc Wrote:
(10-14-2012, 09:47 AM)beartrap Wrote: L'occitane shop has Cade in every Jersey mall.

I would also suggest L' Occitane Cade. Don't get the container that's what makes it overpriced. Just get the refill puck and put it in your own container. Cade is absolutely top of the line. If you want to try a top of the line soap in your price range that would be the one. I believe the refill puck is around $10.

Ok, I'll defintely have to look for a puck of that as well. There's a Crabtree & Evelyn store close to my parents, I'll drop some hints for them to look there around Christmas time.

Thanks!

10 2,062
 10-14-2012, 11:29 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-14-2012, 10:03 AM)insomniac Wrote: Crabtree and Evelyn makes underrated soaps, and they are inexpensive (I think $8 for a puck w/o the wooden bowl.)

If they haven't changed the Sienna and Nomad formulation , those two are very , very good.
The L'occitane Cade too , but I prefer the scent of the C&E ones.

86 7,123
 10-14-2012, 02:54 PM
User Info
Is it weird that I've been making test lathers with each of these this evening? Especially since my SWMBO is out of town for the weekend and I have the house to myself.

10 2,062
 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM
User Info
The tour continued today. I drove down to the outlet stored to find Crabtree and Evelyn. I picked up a refill puck of the Nomad soap and got some cream samples. Then I drove to another mall by there that had an Art of Shaving. I got a travel size of their pre-shave oil and some more cream samples. There was also a L'Occitane but I didn't get anything there.

Oh god, is this what an AD feels like? It's happening, isn't it?

10 2,062
 10-15-2012, 10:46 AM
User Info
CVS: Williams. Had to be said.

72 1,407
 10-15-2012, 11:25 AM
User Info
My local grocery stores often carry the Kiss My Face shave cream ( usually just the unscented one ). I usually can find it in their 'Organics' section. I've seen it in little stores that advertise organic products as well ( health food stores, herb shops, etc ).

If you have a Indian grocer in town you can sometimes find some of the fine Indian shave creams ( Old Spice, Arko, Godrej, Dettol, etc ). Those can be really hidden gems.

0 252
 10-15-2012, 11:34 AM
User Info
Is Williams worth it? I know it can be cheap, but I haven't exactly heard good things. So with Real Shaving Co and Bigelow only a few dollars more, is Williams still a good value?

10 2,062
 10-15-2012, 12:31 PM
User Info
Williams can be difficult to lather for some folks. Then there is the scent. I happen to like Williams but I'm phazing it out and moving to ARKO. I can get ARKO less expensively and I don't need to enter CVS. BTW, the scent of both IMO (and I like them) is citronella.

32 6,308
 10-15-2012, 12:46 PM
User Info
I don't find Williams hard to lather - just add water - but I don't think it is worth it. There are better soaps. I find the scent similar to the Turkish soaps as well (Arko, Derby, etc.)

Quote:If you have a Indian grocer in town you can sometimes find some of the fine Indian shave creams ( Old Spice, Arko, Godrej, Dettol, etc ). Those can be really hidden gems.

Forgot about these - I can find Dettol pretty easily, and one store near me has Axe cream.

12 1,243
 10-15-2012, 02:23 PM
User Info
In addition to these pickups, I got a belated birthday present in the mail today. My dad had sent me a puck of Classicshaving.com's Wool Fat soap. The scent is Mountain Spice, which I guess is a little in-joke since he lives up in the mountains in West Virginia. Does anyone have any experience with this soap? I don't see much info on it.

10 2,062
 10-16-2012, 04:49 AM
User Info
(10-15-2012, 11:34 AM)taborcarn Wrote: Is Williams worth it? I know it can be cheap, but I haven't exactly heard good things. So with Real Shaving Co and Bigelow only a few dollars more, is Williams still a good value?

I happen to like Williams since it was the first shave soap I used. My water is extremely soft, and I've never had an issue with lathering it at all. I don't use more than a few times a month, but I have used up at least 2 pucks worth since I started wetshaving.

My main knock on it is that my face usually feels slightly 'tight' after using it ( and I mean slightly ), but I tend toward having dry skin. When I follow it up with some ASB I don't notice it all.

I happen to love the citronella/lemon scent so it's right up my alley ( Arko and Derby play in this same scent family, but to my nose Williams does it better ).

For less than $2 I always urge people to buy it and try it if they run across it locally. At worst it's a good shower soap if you like lemony scents, and by having it you can always jump into any Williams thread and give your 2 cents ( and there's always a Williams thread somewhere in the shaving webverse ).

0 252
 10-24-2012, 04:09 AM
  • gzp
  • Queens, NY
User Info
If you sign up online, Crabtree & Evelyn will send you a coupon for 20% off (entire purchase) and from what I understand will send additional coupons periodically.

Do you have a Duane Reade/Walgreens nearby? They have another Creighton made brand, St. James of London. I haven't tried it.

If you have a Whole Foods nearby, they have good prices on Kiss My Face and also carry some natural/organic brands.

0 62
 10-24-2012, 06:22 AM
User Info
(10-15-2012, 02:23 PM)taborcarn Wrote: In addition to these pickups, I got a belated birthday present in the mail today. My dad had sent me a puck of Classicshaving.com's Wool Fat soap. The scent is Mountain Spice, which I guess is a little in-joke since he lives up in the mountains in West Virginia. Does anyone have any experience with this soap? I don't see much info on it.

I seem to remember somone on B&B tried it and disliked it. Sometimes I have found members there can be a little pre-disposed against Classic Shaving, so I don't know if that played a part.

I've always been interested in it, but for the price they charge, one can get "original" MWF. Then the price you got charged is just right!

72 1,407
 10-24-2012, 07:45 AM
User Info
I haven't tried it yet, since I at least want to finish the puck of Van Der Hagen before starting another hard soap. Once I do I will report my impressions of it.

10 2,062
 11-05-2012, 10:38 AM
User Info
I finally got around to trying the Classicshaving.com Wool Fat soap. I tried to do a test palm lather with it last night and that turned out abysmally -- absolutely no lather.

I looked up some guide to lathering MWF and gave it a shot for real this morning, making sure to soak the puck with warm water beforehand. The lather seemed to be much better at first, but it had all but evaporated before the end of the second pass. The shave itself wasn't too bad but I wasn't pleased with the experience.

I'll try again tomorrow and try to use even less water this time. Since I'm not in love with the Mountain Spice scent either, if it gives me too much more trouble I'll just move on to something else.

10 2,062