03-17-2012, 04:10 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Budget vs Luxury

Wetshaving is many things to different people. For some, it’s the only way they’ve ever known how to shave. For others, it’s an art they’ve rediscovered. But to many younger men, it’s a nearly lost method to do a timeless task.

The reasons people wetshave are as varied as the razors they use. There is an increasing number of men switching with the rising costs of cartridge razors. So while it may be budget reasons that lead them here, often it develops as more than just a way to save money, it becomes a pleasure of its own. Whether you shave with traditional products to save money or as a touch of luxury to your day, we all have a common element.

That is not to say that one has to spend a lot to enjoy traditional shaving, far from it actually. Here are 2 different setups showing a difference in budgets. The first is an assortment of products that are readily available, and make it possible to start wetshaving for under $20. The 40’s superspeed I acquired locally for $2, but are also easily available online for slightly more. The Williams and Arko soap are both $2 or less. The Aqua Velva is a drugstore classic, and can be had for $5 or less all across America. The brush is a Marvy boar, picked up locally for $5. The blades are Wilkinson’s, now available at Walmart for under $2 for a 10 pack.

[Image: photo7bvi.th.jpg]

With such a setup one can have many fantastic shaves for near pennies compared to the cost of modern cartridges. Or if one chooses, they can opt for a much more expensive setup. Here is another showing some much more exotic equipment. Such an option would hardly be appropriate for the beginner, however.

[Image: phototte.th.jpg]

Regardless of your budget, the task at hand is the same. The tools and methods used are older than any of us, and can turn a once dreaded chore into a daily pleasure. So while a bigger budget can bring fancier razors and software, luxury doesn’t have to be expensive. I find even the most humble of wetshaving equipment luxurious compared to what I used to use. And partaking in what once seemed like a long lost art, well, that’s an added luxury of its own.

9 541
 03-17-2012, 04:42 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
A great analysis Nick of a wet shaving dilemma that faces many guys. But to me regardless of how much you spend (or can afford) on shaving gear nothing beats the pleasure of wet shaving using a double or single edge razor. Up until about ten years ago I dreaded shaving. I shaved every third day and sometimes even used the an electric razor just to "get it over with" Today I can't wait to shave and I think most would agree with me.

100 12,449
 03-17-2012, 04:49 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nick, well said sir, and I whole heartedly agree.

173 23,553
 03-17-2012, 06:31 PM
User Info
To some people, budget shaving becomes a luxury when it allows them to do more with their income in other in necessary areas.

Well written! Excellent posting!

1 2,827
 03-17-2012, 06:39 PM
User Info
Well written. I've been at this almost 2 years now and would never go back, also this has also led me to make other changes in my lifestyle and making me more conscious of the waste I throw away. Now I try to repurpose most everything I use.

0 372
 03-17-2012, 09:26 PM
User Info
good article.

where can one find that marvy boar?

40 5,830
 03-17-2012, 09:39 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(03-17-2012, 09:26 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: good article.

I purchased it at a local beauty supply store in La Jolla Village. I imagine that you might be able to find it at Sallys or a similar type of establishment. There are lots of beauty supply places around, they tend to be a little inconspicuous though

9 541
 03-17-2012, 09:40 PM
User Info
(03-17-2012, 09:39 PM)GreekGuy Wrote:

I purchased it at a local beauty supply store in La Jolla Village. I imagine that you might be able to find it at Sallys or a similar type of establishment. There are lots of beauty supply places around, they tend to be a little inconspicuous though

I'll have to look in the local sallys again. last time I was in there, they didn't have much of anything for shaving.

40 5,830
 03-17-2012, 10:26 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I returned after years of disposables and Barbasol. I too, was sick of tossing raw materials into landfills and paying through the (often cut)nose for it. If I thought to save money, that notion is mute as I invest a considerable part of my non income in this pleasure.
And that, is the very tangible emotional dividend. The modern male has been emasculated and dumbed down unmercifully. We are shown as stupid on teevee comercials; the foil of disrespectfull little girls and savvy women, dressed in recycled plastic water bottle slobwear from communist china that is inevitably black as a funeral or priest's cassock yet unsure how to wear the most self assuring black garment of all- a proper tuxedo.
So we few, we happy few rediscover once again that "What was old is new again."

2 3,171
 03-18-2012, 04:21 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
This is a great article and that is close to the same cheap setup Ive PIF'ed many times (Williams, SS, Derby Blades). Sally is a funny store. There are probably 20 Sally stores around my area and each one carries something different. I've seen the Marvy brushes at exactly one Sally store, but the DE that's $12.99 that they sell is starting to show up in quite afew more. They had Personna labs on sale last week for $1.50 for 5 (which isn't bad) so I grabbed a few to give away with razors.

116 3,804
 03-18-2012, 05:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I just opened up both pictures to full size. The soap in the second picture cost more than the whole set-up in the first picture. Smile

173 23,553
 03-18-2012, 06:27 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-17-2012, 09:40 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(03-17-2012, 09:39 PM)GreekGuy Wrote:

I'll have to look in the local sallys again. last time I was in there, they didn't have much of anything for shaving.
My local Sallys sells the re-branded Ming Shi razor. Its pretty decent and very good quality.

100 12,449
 03-18-2012, 07:32 AM
  • Colcurinho
  • From the land of Semogue, Musgo Real, ..
User Info
Excelent thread GreekGuy.

Quote:a bigger budget can bring fancier razors and software, luxury doesn’t have to be expensive

I could not be more agreement Greek.

I'm one of those guys who likes fancy things, things for a lifetime, things that I´m proud to possess. I just don´t need to have multiple fancy things.

0 106
 03-18-2012, 07:35 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Nick

Thumbup Hat-tip Sir! very good article Thumbup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-18-2012, 09:01 AM
User Info
(03-17-2012, 10:26 PM)kav Wrote: I returned after years of disposables and Barbasol. I too, was sick of tossing raw materials into landfills and paying through the (often cut)nose for it. If I thought to save money, that notion is mute as I invest a considerable part of my non income in this pleasure.
And that, is the very tangible emotional dividend. The modern male has been emasculated and dumbed down unmercifully. We are shown as stupid on teevee comercials; the foil of disrespectfull little girls and savvy women, dressed in recycled plastic water bottle slobwear from communist china that is inevitably black as a funeral or priest's cassock yet unsure how to wear the most self assuring black garment of all- a proper tuxedo.
So we few, we happy few rediscover once again that "What was old is new again."

[Image: appl.gif] [Image: appl.gif] [Image: appl.gif]

2 546
 03-18-2012, 10:16 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Nick, in just a few short paragraphs you have managed to convey the joys of wet shaving beautifully. Tie it together with Johnny's opening article about these being the good old days of wet shaving and you two gentlemen have said it succinctly and elegantly. I've read much longer articles on the subject that haven't expressed it as well. Thank you. Smile

2 11,211
 03-18-2012, 11:41 AM
User Info
That is a very succinct and well written article, one that I think is particularly important. Many of the wetshaving forum members are dyed in the wool enthusiasts, with very substantial and costly razor, brush and soap collections. That is quite alright because it is part of their enjoying the hobby. The problem comes when those fed up with skyrocketing cartridge prices stop by the forums, investigating what seems to be a promising alternative. They then read numerous posts stating that traditional wetshaving is, or is likely to become, a money sink. That is a huge turnoff for guys already suffering from sticker shock. Then they read posts describing lengthy and involved shaving rituals. Again, that is fine for those who enjoy such things, but a great deterrent for others.

In my opinion, your post should be at the top of the stickies on each and every wetshaving forum. It would do aspiring traditional wetshavers a world of good.

0 303
 03-18-2012, 11:47 AM
User Info
Very nicely written pieceSmile
[/quote]

[/quote]

Sally's here in Reno, NV also does not have much for shaving tools. They do have a nice selection of Pinaud products, including the Clubman hair gel and the talc, and, of course the aftershave at good prices.

3 68
 03-18-2012, 12:02 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Great article Nick! Thanks for sharing.

45 16,359
 03-18-2012, 05:54 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Great article Nick - I couldn't agree more!

3 2,562