10-15-2012, 06:06 AM
User Info
I don't know whether this has been discussed before, but I had the easiest cleanup I have ever of an antique store razor over the weekend.

I was watching television and someone mentioned you can use apple cider vinegar to remove surface rust. I had a new (to me) Gillette Fatboy TTO adjustable with some minor spots on it. Nothing serious, but enough to want to remove them before using the razor.

I filled a small cup with the vinegar and let the razor soak for about an hour. When I took it out I used a toothbrush to give it a couple swipes and the rust came right off. Rinse and ready to use.

I'd like to hear other methods of cleaning old razors, but this worked beautifully for me.

0 98
 10-15-2012, 07:28 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you for the tip Matt. Vinegar is a miracle worker but the apple cider is a new one to me. I got try that sometime.
I usually use Scrubbing Bubbles and it works very nicely without doing any damage to my razors.

100 12,442
 10-15-2012, 08:08 AM
User Info
Please note that it was apple cider vinegar, Jerry. Not sure apple cider would have any effect. Though it does have acid...

0 98
 10-15-2012, 08:25 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(10-15-2012, 08:08 AM)Observereport Wrote: Please note that it was apple cider vinegar, Jerry. Not sure apple cider would have any effect. Though it does have acid...

I know its apple cider vinegar and not the stuff you drinkBiggrin

100 12,442
 10-15-2012, 11:25 AM
User Info
Most of my work is online, and you just never know what people are thinking. I've seen some amazing leaps of logic that didn't quite stick the landing.

0 98