10-15-2012, 06:17 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Watch this. I had this on my debit cards and had my bank issue new cards.

Check your newer credit/debut cards for the Wi-Fi Symbol on it.

I read this about a couple weeks ago, and then checked my cards for the little "Wi-Fi Signal Icon" on each one......wow!

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em

173 23,499
 10-15-2012, 06:35 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
Thanks for the warning. Mine are free from that crap thankfully.
And if future cards that i receive have this technology, i´ll swap them out.

0 284
 10-15-2012, 06:54 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Good information Johnny. At the moment none of my cards have radio frequency capabilities. Thieves using scanners to capture information is nothing new. Years ago they could use info off a card manually but this opens up an incredible amount of potential fraud and headaches for consumers.

100 12,438
 10-15-2012, 08:19 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Luckily mine do not have RFID chips. This is similar to a local issue we've been having, hell I guess it's probably national as well, thieves are sitting in parking lots with special interceptors and "capturing" the signals from peoples vehicle remotes when they lock/unlock their cars and then using it when they go inside the store to open their car and steal whatever they can. The latest and greatest technology isn't always a good thing.

31 1,510
 10-15-2012, 08:35 AM
User Info
My wife and I have the Identity Stronghold sleeves and keep our debit cards in them, I in my wallet and she in her purse. It is a simple matter to take the card out of the sleeve for a moment to use it.

183 12,002
 10-15-2012, 10:10 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
That is so scary, but nothing new. Big credit/debit card companies don't care about you and are willing to accept a certain amount of loss. They'll always come up with the excuse that it costs too much to change things. It costs the CONSUMER. The credit card companies only care about THEIR bottom line.

2 11,211
 10-15-2012, 12:10 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
That must be how they got mine over the weekend. My wife and I couldn't figure it out. Today I tried to order a Bible (of all things) and had the card rejected. That was a bit embarrassing when the woman on the phone told me my CC was rejected. When I called the CC company they told me that Saturday it had been used on line at Gamestop and Rhapsody and the Rhapsody transaction was flagged as suspicious and the account frozen. I'll be ordering security sleeves as soon as I get replacement cards.

0 204