10-15-2012, 10:37 AM
User Info
I am looking for another neighborhood / suburban gem of a shaving shop. I am not talking about a chain like Art of Shaving or L'Occitaine or C&E. In the City we are blessed with a Truefitt & Hill (900 N. Michigan building) as well as two Merz Apothecary (the great but cramped Lincoln Square location and the newer downtown Palmer House Hilton location). Sadly those are the only speciality shops I am aware of. I know there must be more, so I am asking my Chicago brothers on this forum if they are aware of other shops catering to us wet shavers.

129 6,685
 10-15-2012, 11:18 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
You should get on I-94 North until you hit Wausau, WI. Johnny can take it from there.

Wausau is the wet shaving hotbed of the midwest (or so it seems). I am half tempted to open a shop there.

45 16,335
 10-15-2012, 11:24 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Doug you are very lucky to have Merz (Smallflower) in Chicago because where I live all we have is Walgreens and CVS. I am sure someone will come up with another fine shaving supply establishment in your area.

100 12,440
 10-15-2012, 11:56 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Man here in New Orleans it's like a desert. So far, I found a single local drugstore that carries a lot of Pinaud and other "Classic" after shaves..Feather blades too. Which is cool. I like Pinaud products. My biggest problem is finding good soaps... I've been to BABW to get C.O.Bigelow. Thank God for that. I have been limited to Williams(which I used only 3 times) and VdH which Is the soap I have always known.I have learned to melt it and add scents and glycerin.. Which has given my some kind of variety.
I will have to keep searching for more local drug stores as these mom and pop shops seem like my only option... Besides good ole Phil that is.... Just sometime I would like to get some stuff on the fly!!!!

5 1,151
 10-15-2012, 12:37 PM
User Info
Well we do have an Aaron's Apothecary in the city as well, but their main product line is AoS and Trumpers. Angry

I remember someone saying in a thread somewhere that there is a great shop in one of the western or north-western suburbs. I just can't seem to find it with a google search.

129 6,685
 10-15-2012, 12:58 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(10-15-2012, 11:18 AM)bullgoose Wrote: You should get on I-94 North until you hit Wausau, WI. Johnny can take it from there.

Wausau is the wet shaving hotbed of the midwest (or so it seems). I am half tempted to open a shop there.

It's a hotbed because of you. We sure don't have any brick and mortar stores here.

173 23,531
 10-15-2012, 01:25 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-15-2012, 10:37 AM)wingdo Wrote: I am looking for another neighborhood / suburban gem of a shaving shop. I am not talking about a chain like Art of Shaving or L'Occitaine or C&E. In the City we are blessed with a Truefitt & Hill (900 N. Michigan building) as well as two Merz Apothecary (the great but cramped Lincoln Square location and the newer downtown Palmer House Hilton location). Sadly those are the only speciality shops I am aware of. I know there must be more, so I am asking my Chicago brothers on this forum if they are aware of other shops catering to us wet shavers.

Just those huh?Tongue Man I don't know what I'd do with even 1 of those stores around...actually I do, I'd go broke.24 All we have here is Walgreens/Walmart to sate our thirst with meager offerings of VDH/Williams and Real Shaving Co. and Sally Beauty to cover Pinaud Clubman and Master Bay Rum. There is also A Bath & Body Works which is about 40 miles away but they only have Bigelow and I'm stocked for at least 5 years on Proraso. Oh, I do have my barber..he keeps me stocked in Osage Rub at $5 flat per bottle tax included, other than that all I can say is thank the shaving gods for the internet.

Jeez, not one but two Merz and T&H.Babeando

31 1,510
 10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
User Info
(10-15-2012, 01:25 PM)Arcadies Wrote: Jeez, not one but two Merz and T&H.Babeando

OK, just found a C. O. Bigelow at Water Tower Place downtown as well. Never knew they were there. This weekend we are taking my mother downtown to the North Face store to find her a warm lightweight winter jacket. I'll have to pop on over to Bigelow and T&H while in the area.

One of the upsides of living in a metro area with 10 million people.

129 6,685
 10-15-2012, 02:04 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(10-15-2012, 01:48 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(10-15-2012, 01:25 PM)Arcadies Wrote: Jeez, not one but two Merz and T&H.Babeando

OK, just found a C. O. Bigelow at Water Tower Place downtown as well. Never knew they were there. This weekend we are taking my mother downtown to the North Face store to find her a warm lightweight winter jacket. I'll have to pop on over to Bigelow and T&H while in the area.

I would say that is the only upside of living with 10 million people.Biggrin

173 23,531
 10-15-2012, 02:29 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info

A winter jacket? What's that? Biggrin It is 85 today and supposed to get up to 90 on Wednesday. I think I will take half the day off Wednesday and go to the beach. Cool

45 16,335
 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-15-2012, 02:04 PM)Johnny Wrote:

Yeah..I have to admit I don't think I could stand that. I live in a teeny tiny town of 15,000 (entire county has only 70,000) and I get annoyed on occasion by my neighbors dog barking at possums during the night..I think I'd go insane in a large city.

31 1,510
 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM
User Info
(10-15-2012, 02:04 PM)Johnny Wrote:

I am in one of the close in suburbs, just 10 miles from the loop. Two CTA L / subway lines lines and a Metra commuter rail line all running downtown. I am lucky to not have to drive downtown (except when I need to take my mother on her yearly shopping in the city trip). The one thing lacking where I am is land. Small lot sizes for those of us with affordable houses. One of the upsides is easy access to downtown, the myriad of neighborhoods, and I am in 3 season walking distance to about a dozen bars and 15 more restaurants as well as various niche shops. I also have easy non driving access to a NFL team, NBA team, NHL team and two MLB teams, a world class symphony, opera, theater and other fine arts as well as a wonderful lakefront. Oh, did I mention two Merzes, a Truefitt and Hill and a CO Bigelow? Biggrin

The downside is massive traffic, high taxes, high crime areas (not where I live), and all the other issues one gets with 10 million people crammed in a small area.

I will live here until I retire, and then it's off to someplace quieter and with somewhat less cold winters.

129 6,685
 10-15-2012, 02:38 PM
User Info
Wingdo,

I am not sure where in the Chicagoland area you live but the best selection is Merz by far. You could always go to the North Face Store in Evanston and then go to Merz on Lincoln.

All the other stores I can think of are Department Stores such as Nordstroms but they have a very limited selection.

0 91
 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM
User Info
(10-15-2012, 02:38 PM)ChicagoShaving Wrote: I am not sure where in the Chicagoland area you live but the best selection is Merz by far. You could always go to the North Face Store in Evanston and then go to Merz on Lincoln.

All the other stores I can think of are Department Stores such as Nordstroms but they have a very limited selection.

I'm in Oak Park. Yeah, I know Merz is tops. I do recall someone either here or at B&B mentioning a large shop in what I thought was Schamburg. I am just trying to figure that store out as one more place to browse is never a bad thing. OK, actually it IS a bad thing as it makes AD harder to control.

129 6,685
 10-22-2012, 11:18 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
A friend just returned from Chicago. He stayed at the Palmer House Hilton. He reported to me that the Merz shop that was in the hotel is closed and gone.

Can anyone else confirm this sad tale?

47 1,378
 10-22-2012, 03:37 PM
User Info
This is not correct.I just called the Palmer House location to verify.They are very much open.

129 6,685