03-17-2012, 05:22 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1230758.jpg]

After reading so many commnetaries about how terrible is the lather from some of the Geo F. Trumper soaps,I decided to purchased this sandalwood refill puck from 2009 (thanks Brothers!) to test it out.
I have never had problems making lather from any of the Trumpers soaps that I own or have tried in the past,to be honest,but I was curious about all these bad batches of soaps that seems are out there.

[Image: P1230759.jpg]

The shaving soap presentation its nice,on a carboard box with a 80 g soap puck refill (I wonder why they dont make a puck of a 99/100 g).
This soap is a tripple milled one,so it would last longer than regular soaps or the melt and pour ones.

Its also nice to read some of the Geo F. Trumper history on the carboard box.

[Image: P1230761.jpg]

The ingredients of this shaving soap are these :

[Image: P1230760.jpg]

that are not the same than the ones used in the 2010/2011 formulations,but it seems that this soap have been out of the market for over 8 months now :

Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Aqua, Glycerin, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Stearic Acid, Parfum, Isopropyl Myristate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Chloride, BHT, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, CI 77891, CI 77491, CI 77492

All right,now the deal,is this soap going to be capable of making good,thick,stable lather? For the test I did use The Body Shop synthetic brush,which surprised me today after having it on the dungeons for a very long time.

I started to swirl the brush over the brush and after 30 seconds I had it loaded,and I already knew...

[Image: P1230762.jpg]

..that the lather would show up.This is the pic of the lather after a minute of palm lathering :

[Image: P1230763.jpg]

Exactly the same lather that I get from the violet,coconut or rose shaving soaps,which they all share the same shaving soap base formulation instead of the :sodium palmate" as first ingredients formulations.

It seems that many batches of Geo F. Trumper shaving soaps as well as other brands like Cyril R. Salter,Edwin Jagger or even the Crabtree and Evelyn (and we can even talk about the new Trueffit and Hill or Penhaligons Bleheim Bouquet shaving soap) haven't met the requirements to be called shaving soaps,since its impossible to make stable lather from them. I wonder what reapply have happened and is this issue has a solution or we are just on the verge to see some shaving soap disappear from the shelves of the stores.

The scent of this soap its quiet nice,not really strong,but woody and on the spicy side,with some fresh herbal notes.A manly scent I would say.

Ill shave with it tomorrow.

86 7,123
 03-20-2012, 01:39 PM
User Info
Teiste, how was the shave?Smile

24 1,150
 03-20-2012, 02:05 PM
User Info
Standard Soap Company closed their doors this year. I know that a lot of their assets, dies, machinery etc, were bought by Soapworks Ltd out of Scotland. Soapworks contracts for Penhaligons, Body Shop, Bath House, Woods of Windsor etc. As a note Soapworks is owned by The Body Shop International which in turn is owned by L'Oreal

Standard Soap made all the C&E soaps, same parent company, and probably the 3 T's. Trumpers has probably changed contractors, i.e. reformulated, last year when the closure was announced.

Just a guess.

2 697
 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-20-2012, 01:39 PM)brothers Wrote: Teiste, how was the shave?Smile

The shaves have been GREAT!Thanks a lot,my friend.

86 7,123
 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-20-2012, 02:05 PM)SteelTown Wrote: Standard Soap Company closed their doors this year. I know that a lot of their assets, dies, machinery etc, were bought by Soapworks Ltd out of Scotland. Soapworks contracts for Penhaligons, Body Shop, Bath House, Woods of Windsor etc. As a note Soapworks is owned by The Body Shop International which in turn is owned by L'Oreal

Standard Soap made all the C&E soaps, same parent company, and probably the 3 T's. Trumpers has probably changed contractors, i.e. reformulated, last year when the closure was announced.

Just a guess.

Interesting information,my friend.
So Culmak is not behind these soaps?

86 7,123
 03-20-2012, 05:12 PM
User Info
(03-20-2012, 04:14 PM)Teiste Wrote: Interesting information,my friend.
So Culmak is not behind these soaps?

Culmak was a brush maker and was bought out by Addis, who makes household cleaning equipment and office furniture. i.e. mops, brushes etc

2 697
 03-24-2012, 08:12 AM
  • kasey
  • Utah
User Info
Both my wife and I thought that GFT Sandalwood smelled like cigarettes. That was from the cream though, maybe the soap is better.

0 33