10-15-2012, 04:59 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
[Image: 2012-10-15%252020.09.18.jpg]
Passing around my kitchen floor for sometime wondering if i should cook something (I am a good cook) or wondering what traffic would be like at this hour coming thru toronto, i finally get a phone call,... MrConnie aka Mr Intigued called to confirm he was about an hours time out and headed my way,... Yup Connie was very serious in that i was getting these guys hand delivered to me. I was a bit excited about the event and when mr.Connie aka Dave showed up it was all i could do to sit down and eat,... all the while having this box mock me in the background,

"play it cool James, Play it cool" I told myself,... like you know i could open the box, but then again its not everything,... Oh but it was a sham,... i couldnt wait at all i was about to explode when Dave told me to have a peak,... well im guessing my box looked a wee bit different then your box

I got to gander at a few very tiny Darwins to start,... they were just the neatest little whisker whackers you ever did see, then the very cool looking Darwin SE with its mechanical strop action was way super cool and my favourite of all the things i got to see,... the razor itself was so simple looking to have this over engineered stropping box with it was just the right kind of "omg thats it, all this for that" to make it about the coolest razor ever put together

also saw me a Valet auto strop with a still "thank goodness as i didnt know it was there" honing stone, first time i have been that close to one before
and then my two little buddies,... wait did i say two,... well i meant four, along with Both the full sized Darwins i also have a Simpsons Manchurian tulip and some cella to play with,... ya'll got those too right ?? NO,... oh,... uhhh,.... so we are clear on who Connies Favourite is now right ? lmao,...

as much as i wanted to lunge at the delux i thought i would begin my fun with the standard so I did a quite prep loaded the "so thats what backbone feels like" brush with the "so thats what cella is SUPPOSED to smell like" Cella dropped in a SI cause well they were there and all,... and began

So how did the shave go,... well it went like this...

For something like this no ordinary shave will do so i light a few candles and put a little Enya on to set the mood,... painted on some cella just massaging in some lather to coat some 3 day growth till it felt well in place and absorbed and picked up with Darwin for its first stroke,.. the blade angle on it is natural it felt great in hand and its not as loud as my straights are but about the same feedback as my 1912, the first pass reminded me a bit of my first time out with the Fatip,... almost everything was gone and it felt effortless,... i reloaded the lather and started pass two flying through the shave,... now i didnt nick my nostril but i kind of forgot about my adams apple (probably the Enya music), and gave myself a small weeper,... its about this time after the second pass it really reminded me iof the first time out with the Fatip,... they are kind of like jello Shooters,.. they are so smooth and effective you dont really realize what they are doing to you till they done already did it to you lmao,... i could have used some more touch ups but i was a little over excited and not paying attention to well anything to do with pressure or angle i could feel going forward i may end up with a little irritation in the sensitive areas and i was more then DFS anyway,... i left it there splashed some cold water,... cleaned everything up added some WH,.. then some GR Standard balm,... and relaxed to reflect a bit on everything that just happened

anyway heres another pick,... i missed my nap and am a bit spent so thats it for now,.. I Feel getting this razor down will be easy enough that next shave ill have an amazing one,... that is to say if i can hold off one more before bringing out the deluxe !!!

For the record i was way to excited to light any candles or put any music on let alone enya,... i kind of waved dave off made one of those cartoon silhouettes, and hit the bathroom to get going

[Image: 2012-10-15%252020.10.49.jpg]

3 748
 10-15-2012, 05:02 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Wonderful post. The Darwins are interesting to say the least. Glad to hear the shave was interesting as well

116 3,804
 10-15-2012, 05:05 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
you know if i put the money into one of these things,... i would be a bit at ease about it that it can ACTUALLY shave and i didnt just buy a really expensive show piece paper weight lmao,.. if you are a collector that likes rare items AND likes to shave with them,... this guy seems to be more then capable in doing so,... but then i have had two passes with it,... so ill save more on these thoughts till the final thoughts section of it in a couple of weeks i guess

3 748
 10-15-2012, 05:33 PM
User Info
I have one word for you ... ENJOY!

1 2,827
 10-15-2012, 07:03 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Great post, James. Have fun with the razor. Wink

2 11,211
 10-15-2012, 07:37 PM
User Info
Great post, James. Enjoy the razors!

82 21,026
 10-16-2012, 05:45 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
No shave tonight,... so here are som photos
[Image: 2012-10-16%252021.31.42.jpg]
[Image: 2012-10-16%252021.32.32.jpg]
[Image: 2012-10-16%252021.33.46.jpg]

3 748
 10-17-2012, 06:28 AM
User Info
That's a love letter to a razor if I've ever seen one. Nice post.

0 98
 10-17-2012, 08:58 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Lmao thanks... gonna use the Deluxe tonight

3 748
 10-17-2012, 05:30 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Day Two

The shower door opens, Steam rolls out and lingers its sweet Hugo Boss scent throughout
the bathroom. A wet body follows reaching for the towel to dry him off.
The air is filled with all kinds of scents from the just had shower to the puck of Cade just barely
floating at its lip in the hot water in the sink. The mirror covered with steam is wiped to reveal a determined face,
"A second day shave, Great !" said the Shaver, a day that is usually cursed for the act at hand
a day that is usually forced. But today was different, it wasnt forced or needed, it was simply
the result of time running out, and excitement for the use of the Darwin Deluxe.

A hand reaches down to grab a soaking Simpson Manchurian Tulip brush, painting its strokes across the
favourably scented cade puck, till it gives up the lathery goodness. Painting his face our shaver falls deep into that place that only a good nights shave can give, deep into thoughts of nothing but the moment.
A man, And a razor.

First couple of strokes proved to be a bit of a shock, a lot smoother then he would think, having picked out a feather blade on the advice of Dave, one of the owners of the Deluxe, and not usually a favoured edge, the shaver continued to complete a first pass.
By the time he was done, he could already begin to feel some signs of trouble along his neck, nothing unusual for a second day shave, But the weepers that showed were something that had not been seen in this amount for some time. A cold water splash took care of them, and help ease the feeling of doubt creeping along his jaw line and softer areas of the neck. Was this doubt ?, hesitation?, really ?, from the man who once put 3 shims into an R41. Maybe but it would not stop from completion of what was in progress already
a second coating of cade and the calming scent it brings with it, a lighter touch and he was settled to complete his task,.... Against The Grain

Th second pass felt smooth, but again moments behind each stroke gave up a different ghost. The stubble on this day is the perfect length to sand the chrome off a 56 chevy, its also very stiff and coarse, then maybe it was the choice of the feather. Whatever it was after the final strokes completion, touch ups were not needed as an up to par DFS was had, only having a little stubble left behind only the tips of a finger could detect, in what is a usual trouble spot, there was no need to go further.

The calming effect of cold water on a freshly shaving face is a tale of legends, and today was no different. Awoken from his haze of deep thoughts of nothing, our shaver was reborn, the water calming the nerve endings that told him things had not gone according to plain had settled to a smooth comfortable tone.
Followed up by some witch hazel, and finally some ASL by nivea, things were not as bad as they had seemed
a big plus for a shave done on this day

The Deluxe feels Natural in hand, looks absolutely stunning to behold, has more teeth then you would ever give it credit for, and the shaver will revisit it saturday when he can avoid a second day shave and give a satisfying third day shave, a day that the hairs grow to a length giving the stubble flexibility, and softness
his time with the deluxe isnt over yet,...

Its only Just begun !
[Image: 2012-10-17%252021.24.30.jpg]

3 748
 02-16-2016, 06:14 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Bumping a great post. My Darwin Deluxe arrived in the mail this afternoon and I am looking forward to taking it through its paces. It really has a great feel in the hand and looks much better in person than in photos.

[Image: seFXGF5.jpg][Image: WFppkbv.jpg][Image: vni1A66.jpg][Image: jrXOwh7.jpg]

45 17,791
 02-16-2016, 07:18 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Congratulations Phil! Please share your experiences when you get a chance to use your new piece of functional art.

137 2,625
 02-17-2016, 05:35 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Very nice!  The original stainless 

I found the Darwin to be a surprisingly good shaver fir it's vintage, a little on the aggressive side.

16 436
 02-17-2016, 08:48 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Congrats on the gorgeous razor Phil! That one is on my list of collectibles that I hope to get my hands on one day. I look forward to hearing about your experience with it Biggrin

34 1,628
 02-17-2016, 10:12 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I enjoyed an excellent first shave with the Darwin Deluxe. The efficiency of the razor is on par with the Wolfman but, you feel the blade a bit more. Blade alignment is perfect and there is zero blade chatter...it really is a great razor. The handle feels a bit thinner than I prefer but, I am sure that I will adapt.

45 17,791
 02-17-2016, 10:15 AM
User Info
Someday I'll get my hands on one Smile. Congrats, Phil! Glad to hear it's a performer as well as a looker.

0 533
 02-17-2016, 02:21 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The head profile looks something like a Merkur slant. I love the Art deco handle. When were Darwins produced?

2 3,171
 02-17-2016, 02:33 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(02-17-2016, 02:21 PM)kav Wrote: The head profile looks something like a Merkur slant. I love the Art deco handle. When were Darwins produced?

They were produced in the 1930's.

45 17,791
 02-17-2016, 05:30 PM
User Info
Great post and great photos! That is one beautiful looking razor

8 88
 02-17-2016, 05:56 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Congrats Phil!! I couldn't be happier for you (or more jealous!!).  Timing is everything in the WTB threads - I have a WTB for a Darwin that I posted a few years ago that didn't get any traction....someday.

27 860