10-15-2012, 05:18 PM
User Info
Just wanted to check and make sure that these gem blades are actually different than these gem blades. Thanks

0 14
 10-15-2012, 05:39 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Different blades. I actually prefer the second ones to the first. They are more expensive but sharper to me.

116 3,804
 10-15-2012, 06:07 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
They are different but unlike Dave I prefer the first ones.

88 4,233
 10-15-2012, 10:40 PM
User Info
Well, I've never used the 2nd, so I can't tell you. Both are SS.

The ones I use are the first ones though, from Ted Pella.

32 6,311
 10-16-2012, 09:14 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Are they different? I thought the Ted Pellas were just bulk packaged GEM PTFE-coated stainless blades...

0 911
 10-16-2012, 10:33 AM
User Info
That's what I thought too Bjorn.

They both look the same to me, both are coated SS. The packaging is different. The 10 pack might not have the cardboard wrapper.

32 6,311
 10-16-2012, 01:36 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I don't know. I've tried them back to back in the same Gem Featherweight and found them to be different blades. The Ted Pella's edges out (sorry, bad pun) the Gem's from Walgreens,etc. labelled "by Personna".

I found the Ted Pella Gem's to be slightly sharper and just slightly smoother but YMMV and all that subjectivity has me even questioning myself now. Biggrin

I'd say it's worth trying both to see which you like.
I just picked up a package of carbon steel blades from CVS to see what they are all about.

6 905
 10-16-2012, 07:34 PM
User Info
Carbon steel blades are definitely good, but they're extra "work" to keep them from rusting.

Because of the extra steps I used mine up and won't buy more. OK, plus they'll rust from atmosphereic moisture and I won't use them fast enough to prevent that.

I found the easiest way to prevent rust was to apply 2 drops of mineral oil top and bottom on the blade at installation. Then after the final rinse after the shave one more drop top and bottom right through the comb to replenish the oil. I used a CS blade doing that method for (I didn't count shaves) well over 5 weeks with a shave on Saturday as a minimum. My water is just water though, no chlorine added to acidify the water.

32 6,311
 10-17-2012, 02:14 PM
User Info
So after tying them both i found the ones from walgreens to be better/smoother for me. The ted pella blades were not as smooth and i ended up with like 5 or 6 weepers where as i get none with the personna's from walgreens. This is exactly the opposite of what i expected to happen. Another notch in the column for YMMV i guess.

My next question is have any of you guys used the Dorco/Pace SE blades? Link to blades in question. Thanks for all the help and info guys.

0 14
 10-17-2012, 03:00 PM
User Info
(10-17-2012, 02:14 PM)BurkeDevlin Wrote: So after tying them both i found the ones from walgreens to be better/smoother for me. The ted pella blades were not as smooth and i ended up with like 5 or 6 weepers where as i get none with the personna's from walgreens. This is exactly the opposite of what i expected to happen. Another notch in the column for YMMV i guess.

My next question is have any of you guys used the Dorco/Pace SE blades? Link to blades in question. Thanks for all the help and info guys.

I've heard very consistently to STAY AWAY from Dorco SE blades. I've never tried them so I don't have any firsthand experience to share.

Were your Pellas the PTFE coated ones or not? I find the coating is what makes them smoother for me.

31 7,914
 10-17-2012, 03:29 PM
User Info
(10-17-2012, 03:00 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(10-17-2012, 02:14 PM)BurkeDevlin Wrote: So after tying them both i found the ones from walgreens to be better/smoother for me. The ted pella blades were not as smooth and i ended up with like 5 or 6 weepers where as i get none with the personna's from walgreens. This is exactly the opposite of what i expected to happen. Another notch in the column for YMMV i guess.

I've heard very consistently to STAY AWAY from Dorco SE blades. I've never tried them so I don't have any firsthand experience to share.

Were your Pellas the PTFE coated ones or not? I find the coating is what makes them smoother for me.

Yes they were the ptfe coated ones.

0 14
 10-18-2012, 10:50 AM
User Info
(10-15-2012, 05:18 PM)BurkeDevlin Wrote: Just wanted to check and make sure that these gem blades are actually different than these gem blades. Thanks

I've used them both,can't go wrong with either blade,they're pretty much the same,if anything the Ted Pella type might be a bit sharper and hold an edge longer.Last weekend I ordered 200 from Connaught Shaving as linked above.

7 414