03-17-2012, 10:07 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
From Deutchland via Phil@ Bullgoose came this new soap.
I was skeptical; I've used Klar Sieffen and am neutral about it.
If nothing else, price point from Germany vs other countries make exceptional performance a make or break consideration.
So, I get this initialy unappealing and odd scented soap. I tried it.
The performance of this PALM based product is exceptional. My water can be difficult with my favourite Mitchell's Wool Fat. I face lather. I hardly put brush to soap and had preliminary lather that rapidly built up on my face.
The actual 4 pass shaves of 3 days ( Merkur HD with Super Iridium)
have been among my best ever. I still love 'the fat' but this will become a periodic substitute and probably travel standard ( it sells in two 70G cakes)
I am even beginning to like the scent. It's a sort of woodsy-cinnamon pot pourri like the ones that knock you down in candle shops. It seems to be 'offgassing' once opened and mellowing.
Again, price point make this a hard sell vs the many price fiendly soaps. Try it; you will like it.

2 3,171
 03-17-2012, 10:20 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Dittmar soap its a really nice one,with a formulation really similar to many UK shaving soaps like the Edwin Jagger/Muhle,some of the Geo F. Trumpers etc.I like how performs,the creamy,thick lather I can get from it and its scent,which its kind of neutral.
For what I understand,this one and the Riviviage are the same soap,which were designed for people who has allergies,while the Gold Dasch has the same soap based ingredients,but some like linalool that could be allergenic to some people.

Edit : this is what I found getting some info about these soaps

Quote:
There is a lot of confusion with Dolddachs and Dr. Dittmar. Now they are different brands with almost the same product. Dr. Dittmar, you can find him at http://www.rasur-online.de , managed to improve the Golddachs soap. He got rid of some allergens in the scent and managed to press the soap more. So you can get there a soap which looks almost the same besides the brand name at thje same prize but has not 2 times 65grams but 2 times 70 grams. http://www.rasur-online.de/product_info....ortunately the webpage is only in English).
Dr. Dittmar, the father of the owner of the shop rasur-online.de, invented the soap. The son unfortunately got tricked by a business partner and so Golddachs has nothing to do with Dr. Dittmar anymore.
Rivivage is the same as Golddachs. Rivivage is the brand for foreign countries of Golddachs.
Dittmar and Golddachs/Rivivage are different.

86 7,123
 03-17-2012, 10:31 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
This may be a sleeper in cost. It behaves like a multiple milled soap with very little needed per shave.

2 3,171
 03-17-2012, 11:15 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
I have Dr. Dittmar and have been praising it for quite some time. The version I have has a very clean neutral scent. I'm not familiar with the potpourri version

9 541
 03-18-2012, 05:24 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
It's an absolutely marvellous soap. It has a very similar kind of lather to Golddachs which is also excellent, although the scents of these 2 soaps are different.

3 2,562
 03-18-2012, 08:41 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I keep reading good things about this soap. I'll have to pick up a puck when I place my next order.

7 1,018
 03-18-2012, 01:51 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I find the scent of the Dr. Dittmar to be very neutral and light. I had sent Kav the Dr. Dittmar soap flakes rather than the cakes of soap and I do not know if that variety has a different scent. It is possible. I really like the performance of the Dittmar soap...it lathers very easily and is very slick and rich. In fact, this may be my favorite veggie based soap.

45 16,352
 03-18-2012, 02:29 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Please remember scent is very subjective. My initial olfactory response
has improved with use and familiarity. This is a remarkable soap and more so after Teist shared his information and it's anti allergen formulae.
It is my favourite veggie soap too.

2 3,171
 03-18-2012, 04:25 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-18-2012, 01:51 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I find the scent of the Dr. Dittmar to be very neutral and light. I had sent Kav the Dr. Dittmar soap flakes rather than the cakes of soap and I do not know if that variety has a different scent. It is possible. I really like the performance of the Dittmar soap...it lathers very easily and is very slick and rich. In fact, this may be my favorite veggie based soap.

(03-18-2012, 02:29 PM)kav Wrote: Please remember scent is very subjective. My initial olfactory response
has improved with use and familiarity. This is a remarkable soap and more so after Teist shared his information and it's anti allergen formulae.
It is my favourite veggie soap too.

That says a lot about this shaving soap.

86 7,123
 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
This soap lathers better than some tallow soaps I've tried.

3 2,562
 03-18-2012, 06:14 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-18-2012, 05:50 PM)JAYDEE Wrote: This soap lathers better than some tallow soaps I've tried.

For me tallow is not a magical ingredient,to be honest,and potassium/sodium stererate or stearic acid could come from tallow,so sometimes we say that its a veggie based soap and it could be a tallow based soap,even when we dont read sodium/potassium tallowate anywhere on the ingredient list.

I myself like a lot of veggie soaps more than tallow based ones and this one is a fine example of being a great shaving soap,but I dont know if the use animal fat on it or not.

86 7,123
 03-19-2012, 10:35 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
We may know eventually. The growing- and vocal vegan/ vegetarian commuity took down McDonald's french fries when it was revealed they used animal lard.
I read a recent online story about some other hidden food additives. The enzyme used in american cheese making comes from
the scent gland of beaversA47
I splurged on some french Brie and english Tilden after that one.

2 3,171
 03-31-2012, 07:17 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The Dittmar soap continues to impress. It is odd that you do not hear much about it on the forums. It is really nice stuff.

45 16,352
 03-31-2012, 08:27 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-31-2012, 07:17 AM)bullgoose Wrote: The Dittmar soap continues to impress. It is odd that you do not hear much about it on the forums. It is really nice stuff.

Well its not "fancy",made in UK,or tallow based,even when it could have tallow on it...Biggrin

86 7,123
 03-31-2012, 12:25 PM
User Info
Up there with PdP as my one of my favorite veggie soaps. Great stuff with a pleasing scent.

0 221
 03-31-2012, 12:46 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
GreekGuy turned me onto it, and I owe him one. Great stuff, and very reasonably priced!

52 788
 03-31-2012, 12:59 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(03-31-2012, 12:46 PM)greyhawk Wrote: GreekGuy turned me onto it, and I owe him one. Great stuff, and very reasonably priced!

I'm happy to hear that you like it! It is one of the best soaps I've used. Competes with those at any price, including MdC

9 541
 08-21-2012, 07:11 PM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
I just tried Dr Dittmar for the first time tonight, and I'm very impressed! Smile

In a perfect world I would prefer more scent from this soap and lather, but I loved the rich, thick, effortless lather.

This soap and my 1305 made a fantastic combo. It doesn't unseat Calani, Klar, or DRH for me, but it's definitely a keeper! Cool

11 366
 08-21-2012, 07:29 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gold Dachs/Riviviage/Dr Dittmar are truly very nice veggie based shaving soaps.Their formulations are like the good UK shaving soaps that I enjoy a lot,like the Geo F Trumper Rose/Violet,the Floris Elite/JF or the Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad and Sienna.

86 7,123
 08-22-2012, 05:51 AM
User Info
I too am very impressed with the performance of Dr. Dittmar soap.

In my opinion, Germany produces a number of excellent shaving soaps, several of which are included on my short list of favorites, Dr. Dittmar included.

0 3,341