10-17-2012, 05:26 AM
User Info
This is pure curiosity, but how long does it take you to figure out the best approach with a new razor?

I ask because I bought a Gillette super speed with a black handle and used it for the first time yesterday. I didn't care for the shave. The handle felt cheap and I got nicked several times.

But I also know not to give up on a razor after one shave. It could have been the blade, I figured, or the angle I held it. Or it could have been me having an off day (probably the most likely option).

So I used it again this morning and I'm much happier with it. I changed my grip and suddenly it didn't feel like a cheap handle anymore. It felt solid. I didn't nick myself. While I've got a bit more burn than normal, it's a quantum leap from yesterday morning.

That puts me at a minimum of three shaves to "learn" this razor. How long does it take you?

0 98
 10-17-2012, 06:45 AM
User Info
Once I got my technique down with my first DE, it took me three or four shaves to get the technique with my next two razors. Blade choice played a big part in the quality of the shave, for me anyway, going from a bar to an open comb.

2 362
 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
It used to take a week or two for me to get a new razor down, but now after being into this for 1½ years I typically get a razor down after 1-2 shaves. I don't know if it's just improved technique or the knowledge of the dozens of razors I've used helping dial in the correct angle sooner what.

31 1,510
 10-17-2012, 09:37 AM
User Info
It really depends on the razor and blade choice. Some razors you may get on the first shave as the angle is easy to find and the sound of the whiskers being cut will guide you to the right angle very quickly. Other razors, usually the more aggressive ones (Yes I am looking at you new R41 and Fatip) can take a week or two to figure out.

I just don't think there is a set number of shaves where you will figure out how you eventually will like the razor. I've had a new Mühle R41 for some time. I hated it, I just could not get a good shave and just ended up with nicks, cuts and weepers all the time. I tossed it into my box of stuff to sell. A couple of weeks ago I pulled it back out to give it another chance and I got a decent no nick shave out of it and now it is in my rotation again while I see if I can indeed tame this aggressive beast.

129 6,685
 10-17-2012, 11:04 AM
User Info
Matt for me a new razor is like a new fly rod which is to say it either fits my hand or it doesn't. That's not to say we can't make the tool work, we can, especially if it's the only one we have, but it doesn't mean we have to. With the wide range of new and vintage razors out there every shaver can find their first choice.

Technique is the main thing, and, like a golf swing, once you've got that down any club can be made to work but some will work better than others. My advise to new shavers is they work on technique while finding a razor that seems to work best then keep at it until technique becomes second nature. Nicks, cuts, burning, redness, abrasion, any discomfort really is the result of a not fully developed technique.

With good technique I don't adapt to the tool the tool adapts to me.

0 500
 10-17-2012, 07:02 PM
User Info
2-3 shaves for me. i have pushed it to 4-5 to see if it works for me, but i usually know right away.

75 20,883
 10-17-2012, 07:28 PM
User Info
1 or 2 shaves at most. If you are used to a 20 oz framing hammer and then you start using a 16 oz. or 32 oz head. You know the technique but have to tweak your swing a little

2 697
 10-17-2012, 08:39 PM
User Info
Just because you have a favorite blade doesn't always mean it will work as well in all razors. But my guess is since it's a super speed you'll figure the razor out. Super speeds are one of the most popular razors because they are very user friendly. Hang in there you'll get it.Wink

2 805
 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM
User Info
(10-17-2012, 07:28 PM)SteelTown Wrote: 1 or 2 shaves at most. If you are used to a 20 oz framing hammer and then you start using a 16 oz. or 32 oz head. You know the technique but have to tweak your swing a little

While this can be true in some instances, I don't see how someone could go from a Joris to a Feather AS (or the other way around) and have the new blade angle and technique down enough in 1 to 2 shaves to be able to say they have mastered the new razor enough to make a proper determination. One most likely will determine they do not like the new razor, but that's just because they have not yet learned all they may need to with that razor.

129 6,685
 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM
User Info
Not very long. But there are the exceptions that are just too cool to give up on.

If you find the proper angle and use no pressure it's almost immediate. But again there are those exceptions. (Kampfe '13 comes to mind for me, we're still in negotiations. It's extremely aggressive. Yeah, that coming from me!)

32 6,309
 10-17-2012, 08:53 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Just received a nice 57 S/S in the mail today. Going for a test run in the morning. Blades I ordered should be here tomorrow but I gotta jump on the horse. I'll start with a Shark S/P. I'll post tomorrow on this thread my newbee prospective....

5 1,151
 10-18-2012, 03:54 AM
User Info
(10-17-2012, 08:47 PM)wingdo Wrote: While this can be true in some instances, I don't see how someone could go from a Joris to a Feather AS (or the other way around) and have the new blade angle and technique down enough in 1 to 2 shaves to be able to say they have mastered the new razor enough to make a proper determination. One most likely will determine they do not like the new razor, but that's just because they have not yet learned all they may need to with that razor.

I think that is where experience comes in. An apprentice carpenter could not frame a house with the best titanium model hammer made. A master carpenter could do the job with a ball peen if he had too

2 697
 10-18-2012, 08:18 AM
User Info
I never stop learning a razor,I never stop trying to unlock it's full potential.

7 414