10-17-2012, 11:29 AM
User Info
Hey fellow brush fanatics

I have for a couple of months been eyeing the Vie Longs, especially the one in plexiglas with the red top and the one in pure lacquered olive wood - I think they really are beauties to look at.

But how do they behave shaving wise ?
What can I expect ?

I bought these 3:

Vie Long EP16510 (a model specially made for Gifts & Care with a 7 mm shorter loft for face latherers)
Hair Type: 3-Band Silvertip
Knot: Bulb
Knot: 24 mm
Loft: 50 mm
Handle Height: 48 mm
[Image: acq18jul003.jpg]
-----------------------------------------------------------
Vie Long 'Flat-Loft' 16727
Hair Type: 3-Band Silvertip
Knot: Flat
Knot: 23 mm
Loft: 45 mm
Handle Height: 51 mm
[Image: vie-long-silvertip-shaving-brush-flat-loft-16727.jpg]
-------------------------------------------------------------
Vie Long 16655
Hair Type: 2-Band Super Badger
Knot: Bulb-Hybrid-Fan
Knot: 24 mm
Loft: 54 mm (hope the 54 mm loft will make it feel a bit less scrubby, based on what Søren SHM, told me about his experience with Vie Long 2-banders)
Handle Height: 44 mm
[Image: brocha-de-afeitar-tejon-blanco-super-badger-16655.jpg]

I hope they all will suit my collection well Biggrin

22 5,055
 10-17-2012, 11:32 AM
User Info
Lovely brushes there.

I think you did very well!

7 1,179
 10-17-2012, 11:33 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
What can you expect?Well , let me tell you my experience with Vie Long (my Fatherland brush maker)

Excellent badger hair , and super soft tips , on the silvertip and super badger 3 band.Actually , for me , the Vie Long silvertip is the most luxurious silvertip I have tried so far.Velvet feeling tips.

The European White 2 band takes so time to soften , but once it softens , you will have a fantastic 2 band brush , which would combine right amount of backbone and flow.Be patience with it , but it will reward you.

86 7,123
 10-17-2012, 11:42 AM
User Info
Congrats on adding to your collection some more Claus.

The one in the first picture sure looks like 2-band to me though. Hmm

31 7,912
 10-17-2012, 11:52 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-17-2012, 11:42 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Congrats on adding to your collection some more Claus.

Is a 3 band silvertip , but the loft is short , so it looks like a 2 band instead.

86 7,123
 10-17-2012, 12:04 PM
User Info
(10-17-2012, 11:52 AM)Teiste Wrote:
(10-17-2012, 11:42 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Congrats on adding to your collection some more Claus.

Is a 3 band silvertip , but the loft is short , so it looks like a 2 band instead.

Thanks for the clarification Teiste. The Vie Longs seem to have thicker dark bands than many other brands.

31 7,912
 10-17-2012, 12:30 PM
User Info
Clauss, you are a man on a mission! A mission to possibly own every brush in the world. Biggrin

Can I have your job?

What to expect, what to expect... top quality, that's what you can expect. Biggrin They feel great on the face sums it up.

9 2,988
 10-17-2012, 02:20 PM
User Info
(10-17-2012, 11:32 AM)Dipesh Wrote: Lovely brushes there.

I think you did very well!

Thank you, Sir - hope they will perform well for me Cool

(10-17-2012, 11:33 AM)Teiste Wrote: What can you expect?Well , let me tell you my experience with Vie Long (my Fatherland brush maker)

Excellent badger hair , and super soft tips , on the silvertip and super badger 3 band.Actually , for me , the Vie Long silvertip is the most luxurious silvertip I have tried so far.Velvet feeling tips.

The European White 2 band takes so time to soften , but once it softens , you will have a fantastic 2 band brush , which would combine right amount of backbone and flow.Be patience with it , but it will reward you.

I did get some info from fellow Dane, Søren SHM @ B&B, who is a crazy Semogue and brush collector with more than 75 brushes, and he told me the semogue LE2011 FB2 2-band is soft compared to the Vie Long 2-Bander he owned.......so I know it will need a break in period, just like the Shavemac D01 2-Bander will.

I really love the handles Vie Long put their brushes in, they really have great taste in that department.
I hope the Spanish economy will get back on their feet again very soon, and I will do my best to support it, no matter how tiny small one persons little contribution may be - we need to support the economy to help it get back on its feet again. Just purchased a new iMagnum cover for my iPhone 5 from Pielframa, a Spanish leather manufacturer of leather wallets, leather cases and leather goods.
Pielframa is top quality - only Vaja cases from Argentina is my other option, when I buy iPhone and iPad cases Smile

(10-17-2012, 12:30 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Clauss, you are a man on a mission! A mission to possibly own every brush in the world. Biggrin

Can I have your job?

What to expect, what to expect... top quality, that's what you can expect. Biggrin They feel great on the face sums it up.

I work pretty hard to afford my hobbies - often take 3 X 12 hour shifts at work (IT surveillance) so I feel like I deserve every brush I purchase, if you know what I mean Tongue

But it will come to a sorry end soon though Sad
I soon have the limited edition brushes I want to own - except when Bruno makes the genuine Horn Semogues, then I'm all over 2 of those without blinking an eye, and I can tell that he has something great upcoming in a matter of months.......but other than limited editions, I will soo stop buying brushes, the very thought of scaling down my SBAD even saddens me inside Wink

No seriously - I will order 2 cutsom Shavmeacs and a Chubb2 Manchurian ButterScotch next week and then I only miss getting a Davinchi 293, a Saville Row 3124, a Chubby 3 2-Band ButterScotch and a couple of Thäters and my mission is done Cool ............... for now Badger

22 5,055
 10-17-2012, 02:24 PM
User Info
How is that really short D01 2 band working out for you? I want to hear the end of the story. Smile

Also, would love to hear your thoughts on the Manchurian hair. So many differing opinions out there.

9 2,988
 10-17-2012, 02:29 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Claus , I know Soren very well : he is also in my Spanish forum , foroafeitado.com and I truly know his love and passion for Semogue.

Well , for the the Vie Long 2 band has softer tips than the Semogue LE 2 finest badger 2011 , but it could be me.

Thanks for supporting the Spanish economy , I appreciate it.Biggrin

86 7,123
 10-17-2012, 05:54 PM
User Info
Holy cow, Claus! Has anyone told you that you have a problem; brush addiction disorder! You need help! Hee hee.

75 20,883
 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM
User Info
(10-17-2012, 05:54 PM)celestino Wrote: Holy cow, Claus! Has anyone told you that you have a problem; brush addiction disorder! You need help! Hee hee.

I enjoy my SBAD - as long as it will last, but it will soon come to an end Sad

22 5,055