10-17-2012, 02:36 PM
User Info
Here is a nice big W&B that I recently resto'd. The original idea was to keep the scales but with the condition they were in it wasn't advisable as the blade would look good, but the scale wouldn't. Chips and cracks wouldn't make it.
I proceeded to duplicate the original scales by measuring them and duplicating them ( average of the old ) to within .05" over their length and taper. Naturally the outside dimensions are the same.
The other objective was to keep the script on the blade without loosing any of it. I tried to get as much of the rust and pits out that I could without doing any more damage.
In order to duplicate everything as best I could I also duplicated the original triple stack washers by copying the thickness and OD of the orig. washers. Here too reusing the old , with the condition they were in might look odd.
In one of the pics you can see the inside of one of the scales polished and able to read a phone book in the reflection.

0 772
 10-17-2012, 03:32 PM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Wow its amazing what you did with the old blade. Do you offer blade restoration services and or sharpening honing; if so do you have a website where we can check out your work. I have recently acquired to vintage straight razors, they came sharpened and ready for use, but no where nearly as nice as the one pictured here.

Any information on the collection, restoration and maintenance of such blades would be greatly appreciated. I would eventually like to start using a straight but have yet to build up the courage to attempt the task. in the meantime I have started collecting the straights I will one day use.

Although there are a lot of new blades out there for sale, nothing beats an old implement which can still be used; the quality and the sense of knowing that you are shaving with a blade twice or three times older than you are, if only it could talk and reveal all of its mysteries to us. Happy Shaving, Sam.

0 108
 10-17-2012, 05:42 PM
User Info
Thank you Notary.
For the most part I keep busy restoring and caring for well over 200 razors of my own ( with many more on the way) . I do quite a bit of restoration, but here I'm too new and don't have the required number of posts to accept any work. Rules are rules! Until I get to that point here is a sample of some of the work I have done.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markyundt/
Hope you enjoy the pics.

0 772
 10-17-2012, 07:06 PM
User Info
Lookin' good.

21 1,477
 10-17-2012, 09:38 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Nice restoration. That W&B is looking good for sure!

5 447
 10-18-2012, 02:43 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Ah... nothing's nicer than a big W&B in a new dress.

4 313