10-18-2012, 02:39 AM
User Info
Here and there, I get a rough shave which leaves my skin raw.

I've found the best remedy to the problem is cortisone cream, OTC, 1%.

I know this is a "steroid." Is there any deleterious effects connected to applying it to the face?

0 257
 10-18-2012, 02:59 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
For the short term, not likely but the OTC steroid creams are not recommended for long term use, even though they are usually only 1% cortisone at most.

Supposedly, they can "thin" the skin in the local areas applied and possibly cause a dependency as well as worsen certain skin conditions that are already present.

Dermatologists do use cortisone for certain conditions for longer periods but I wouldn't do so without consulting a physician.

There are MANY alternatives for local, skin anti-inflammatory remedies, especially for shaving irritation.
Witch Hazel, fine aftershaves with therapeutic properties such as Krampert's Finest or Speick, salicylic acid preparations, aloe vera etc.,etc. and combinations of/or formulas with multiple anti-inflammatory ingredients and my ultimate favorite for almost instant soothing and long term skin calming, Unrefined Shea Butter which can be used by itself or in addition to anything else.

"Rawness" as you mention is irritation which is local inflammation and prior to the application of any topical remedy, a good idea is to use ice on the inflamed area. This is just taking the cold finishing rinse a step further and then apply your topical remedy of choice.
I'm sorry for such a long winded answer! I had struggled with this issue for a long while and have found excellent solutions.

Eric

6 905
 10-18-2012, 03:10 AM
User Info
I mean, Alum, WH, Splashes, Creams etc. soothe but I don't feel like they do much when the skin is over-shaved.

Cortisone 1%, which I seldom use, gets my face in order within 12 hrs.

Nothing I've used can touch that.

0 257
 10-18-2012, 03:51 AM
User Info
You should not use it more than 2 times a week. ( unless your dermatologist approves )

You may experience serious side effects with chronic use of local steroids including skin atrophy. You may be OK with once in one or two weeks of usage.

You may also experience the so called 'rebound phenomenon' with steroids, which is after stopping the usage your skin condition may come back with a vengeance Smile

4 365
 10-18-2012, 07:02 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Have you tried Organic Unrefined Shea Butter from a good source?

(10-18-2012, 03:10 AM)boYexTRAORDINaRE Wrote: I mean, Alum, WH, Splashes, Creams etc. soothe but I don't feel like they do much when the skin is over-shaved.

Cortisone 1%, which I seldom use, gets my face in order within 12 hrs.

Nothing I've used can touch that.

6 905
 10-24-2012, 12:40 AM
User Info
No, I haven't.

I'm a little wary of "natural" remedies.

What does the Shea Butter to which you allude do? (Also, where can I get it at the best price?)

0 257
 10-24-2012, 01:36 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I wouldn't call it a "natural remedy" at all. I think that connotation makes it sound kinda like something that is hokey and/or not tried and true.

Here is a major thread on this forum:
http://shavenook.com/thread-unrefined-or...hea-butter

Many here and on other forums use it post shave as well as people all over the world looking for a moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, anti-aging remedy. It's been around for God knows how long and certainly has a proven track record.

Ultimately, the reason the cortisone cream works is because it's a strong anti-inflammatory in a soothing base,(which is almost all chemical and may have petrolatum in it).
Cortisone,(hydrocortisone) is a glucocorticoid steroid or sometimes called just a "steroid" for topical use. These type of steroids can be used internally, (prednisone, solumedrol,decadron, etc.)internally for inflammation such as asthma,COPD, cerebral edema, etc. They are harsh drugs and are not meant for long term use if it can be avoided. They have serious side effects as can the topically applied version that you are using.
They are miracle drugs when used judiciously as you are finding out with the rapid healing of your skin post shave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisone

Ultimately, the best alternative is the safest one with the least amount of side effects that you can use for the long term.

Organic, unrefined Shea Butter is one of those options. Used alone or combined with another product, it can be a similar miracle for you. Aloe Vera, salicylic acid, licorice extract, manuka honey, sea buckthorn oil, glycerin,witch hazel etc. There are many, many options to try.

As far as the best price, I'd look around. I prefer the Shea Nilotica version because it's softer and spreads easier. I get mine from SheaTerra Organics and usually find some sort of online coupon to offset the cost. It does last for a very long time so the initial outlay of $16 or so is not a big deal to me.

My ultimate suggestion if you want to wean off of the steroid, would be some post shave witch hazel, (even the distillate without any alcohol, which may be better for you) then maybe some pure aloe very with a final balm of unrefined shea butter. I think that this combo will cure a bad shave pretty quickly and you won't have to worry about the side effects of long term usage of the steroid cream.
I HTH!
Eric

(10-24-2012, 12:40 AM)boYexTRAORDINaRE Wrote: No, I haven't.

I'm a little wary of "natural" remedies.

What does the Shea Butter to which you allude do? (Also, where can I get it at the best price?)

6 905