10-18-2012, 08:34 AM
User Info
I thought I'd share what I have been using the past two days and maybe get some feedback or suggestions.

I started using a Tradere SB last week and I learned that (a) my technique wasn't what I thought it was all cranked up to be and (b) I could really use a better lather.
It is an aggressive razor with a huge blade exposure. Unlike the vintage Gillettes, it forgives nothing.

I really like Prosaro but I felt I needed something "slicker". What I did was to first load the brush with a bit of VDH glycerin soap, and then lather up in a bowl a dab of Prosaro.

It works really well, I can feel the blade gently sliding on my skin, without getting stuck, just gently reducing the beard.

Any thoughts?

6 808
 10-18-2012, 09:09 AM
User Info
Galhatz that works either way it's done, by loading the soap on the brush or placing the cream directly on the surface of the soap. What we're doing is enhancing the lather by combining qualities of both soap and cream.

This enhanced lather process is especially useful with a non-responsive cake of soap. It takes more work to get a proper lather from some soaps when using hard water. Most of us are limited to the local water supply (absent installing a water softener) so we make do with we have. Enhanced lather is a quick solution for those of us who like one less thing to deal with in the morning.

For the frugal shaver that would be a cake of Williams and the Real Shaving Co. cream.

0 500
 10-18-2012, 09:32 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Uberlather!

Try an alternative version by adding a few drops of glycerin by itself, (widely available and inexpensive) to your cream alone and see what you think.

I'm surprised that the Tradere SB is that aggressive.

6 905
 10-18-2012, 10:19 AM
User Info
Yes, yes, uberlather, superlather, I've heard all the terms but don't use them because to me they imply something formulaic (as in add 1/4 tsp) preferring the more embracing term enhanced lather which means I can mix it any old way I choose. But then I'm a shaver without boundaries.

0 500
 10-18-2012, 11:05 AM
User Info
I was thinking of adding glycerin as well as lanolin to the mix.

The blade exposure on the Tradere is at least 2X than on Gillettes and the distance to the safety bar is also much longer.
The safety bar is there just to let you know you are about to make Carpaccio out of your face...

To take my view in context though, I did find the new Cadet OC razor rather aggressive and felt very well suited by the mild vintage Gillettes. The Tradere really taught me not to use any pressure. I was using the super speeds almost like I was using cartridges.

I now don't think of a razor in terms of mild or aggressive rather "tolerant to user's (namely me) poor technique"... which I guess boils down to semantics really.

(10-18-2012, 09:32 AM)EHV Wrote: Uberlather!

Try an alternative version by adding a few drops of glycerin by itself, (widely available and inexpensive) to your cream alone and see what you think.

I'm surprised that the Tradere SB is that aggressive.

6 808
 10-18-2012, 08:24 PM
User Info
Hi Galhatz and Squire -- My name is Slackskin and I'm a Skin-Food-a-holic.

I don't have any plain liquid glycerine, but added a drop to some hard soap (actually Fitjar, but could have probably been any quality hard soap) and got FANTASTIC lather. Just an idea to try. BTW, if you buy Trumper Skin Food in the 500ml bottles, the cost per ml is half as much as using the smaller bottles. Larger initial cost, but lasts "forever."

Smooth shaves, gents. See you at the next Food-a-non meeting.

15 316
 10-22-2012, 08:20 AM
User Info
I tried adding lanolin today and I am not sure if I like it.
My skin was less dry after the shave but I am not sure the lather offered better protection to the skin....

6 808
 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I bought a bottle of Glycerin from Wal Mart for $4 its simply amazing i add 5-6 drops in a bowl with my cream and its super slick!!

115 1,692
 10-25-2012, 05:47 PM
User Info
You could also just make an ultralather...

Just load the bejabbers out of the soap and brush, and if you could make a qt of lather from the soap used, don't. Just add enough water and air for something like a yogurt consistency. It won't be a dry lather, but it will have all sorts of soap "stuff" that makes soap slick. The cushion will be way off the scale.

I don't think I've used a product yet that won't make an ultralather.

32 6,308
 10-25-2012, 08:58 PM
User Info
(10-25-2012, 05:47 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: You could also just make an ultralather...

Just load the bejabbers out of the soap and brush, and if you could make a qt of lather from the soap used, don't. Just add enough water and air for something like a yogurt consistency. It won't be a dry lather, but it will have all sorts of soap "stuff" that makes soap slick. The cushion will be way off the scale.

I don't think I've used a product yet that won't make an ultralather.

+1. I love variety but if KMF were the last shaving cream left on earth, I'd be fine with that.

9 1,199