10-18-2012, 03:49 PM
User Info
I'm talking about quality brushes like the Muhle Silvertip Fibre, probably the very best synthetic brush in the market.
The benefits:
  • no animals are required, even if you're not a vegan or animal activist, it can't hurt now can it?
  • (almost or) no hair loss, I counted them, in months time it lost a total of 3 hairs after that not a single one
  • no break in period, they lather perfectly from the moment it leaves the box
  • very short soaking time, they don't need a minute or more of soaking in order to perform
  • fast loading time, probably because every end is split perfectly (see the first point)
  • fast lather time, it's hardly any effort to quickly create a rich, creamy lathers
  • flow through is outstanding, it's not a lather hog
  • which brings us to economics, you'll use less soap/cream then you normally would
  • it's better then my Muhle genuine silvertip; it outperforms it, AND IS CHEAPER
  • after the shave synthetics dry SUPER FAST

The reasons they are not more popular are probably:
  • synthetics in the past have been disappointing
  • most people like the idea of traditional, natural hair
  • Muhle doesn't have a distributor in the US
  • Muhle is one of the few good synthetic brush builders, variation and competition is needed

[Image: 33%20K%202521_319.jpg]

0 50
 10-18-2012, 04:57 PM
User Info
They don't bloom.

The tips aren't actually split, but they are soft.

They shoot water everywhere if you try to use circle strokes on your face.

You have to mash it into your face if you want to use effective circle strokes (still super soft).

It doesn't feel the same.

It may well be softer than any silvertip out there, but it doesn't mean I want to trade my tier 1 silvertips or HMW for synthetics.

Actually, enhanced silvertip would be just as soft now that I think about it.

9 2,988
 10-18-2012, 08:20 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-18-2012, 04:57 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: They don't bloom.

The tips aren't actually split, but they are soft.

They shoot water everywhere if you try to use circle strokes on your face.

You have to mash it into your face if you want to use effective circle strokes (still super soft).

It doesn't feel the same.

It may well be softer than any silvertip out there, but it doesn't mean I want to trade my tier 1 silvertips or HMW for synthetics.

Actually, enhanced silvertip would be just as soft now that I think about it.

The bolded reasons listed is why I only occasionally use synthetics, they're superior in lather creation and efficiency but that is about it. I love bloom and they don't do it, and one of my biggest annoyances with any brush is my Muhle ST Fibre pissing on me every time I try to face lather with it no matter how well I squeeze it out, it has brought me close to chucking it out of a window on several occasions. Another small annoyance is they do not retain scent, I'm a brush sniffer, guilty as charged and I don't like how synthetics lose the soap/cream scent within an hour or two and start to smell like rubber.

31 1,510
 10-18-2012, 08:24 PM
User Info
People sniff brushes?

Wait...do I sniff brushes...?

That's a pretty good description of how I feel when water starts flinging.

If they could just figure out a way to make the nylon absorb water at the base, I'd be in love.

Although, technically, horse is the best ecologically and animal death free.

9 2,988
 10-18-2012, 08:57 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I dont have any problems making lather with the silvertip fibres shaving brushes .Check out my video , and that thing that they shoot water everywhere , well Lee , I dont know , my friend.

Another thing , Muhle has a USA distributor , for what I understand.

For me , are excellent brushes , and much better than horse hair brushes.Better than badger silvertips? Huh Maybe I should compare something (the same brush , one with Muhle silvertip hair and the other with silvertip fibres) , but I get a different "feeling" from each of them.

86 7,123
 10-18-2012, 09:07 PM
User Info
Hmm, I haven't tried cream yet. That's probably the difference.

With hard soap I have to add water and that's when it starts flinging it. Maybe there is a trick I don't know yet?

Admittedly, shaking out the excess it doesn't drip water. Only when I add water do I get problems.

I'll try with cream next time.

9 2,988
 10-18-2012, 09:10 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-18-2012, 09:07 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Hmm, I haven't tried cream yet. That's probably the difference.

With hard soap I have to add water and that's when it starts flinging it. Maybe there is a trick I don't know yet?

Admittedly, shaking out the excess it doesn't drip water. Only when I add water do I get problems.

I'll try with cream next time.

Lee , I have used it with shaving soaps , and no problem either.I dont know your technique , but I can tell you that I dont shoot water everywhere with these brushes , as you have said.

However, if you like silvertip badger better , then no debate or problem at all.Biggrin

86 7,123
 10-18-2012, 09:12 PM
User Info
Do not drip water on self using the synthetic.

Challenge accepted.

9 2,988
 10-18-2012, 11:08 PM
User Info
I was once in a store and the saleswomen tried to tell me that a synthetic brush was the best brush currently on the market.

[Image: tumblr_maevb41QYF1rgf2mbo1_r1_400.jpg]

but my travel brush is a synthetic, like that is drys quickly, which is more important than you think when traveling.

4 309
 10-19-2012, 02:31 AM
User Info
(10-18-2012, 08:20 PM)Arcadies Wrote: [quote='asharperrazor' pid='112924' dateline='1350608264']
[b]They don't bloom...smell like rubber...

Split ends or not, it's highly effective.
I face lather 100% of the time. If your brush is dry after shaking (not squeezing, because shaking you can watch how many drops still ripple the surface of the sink water) it shouldn't release water. If it still does you probably need more product.
I don't use circular strokes but "paint-slabs", great for the skin and lathers gets really in there, but you are right, circular motions are less effective.
Bloom is mostly for a visual effect and I want a performer first.
I don't need to snuff bushes but that's personal.
My brush does not smell like rubber however, but has hardly any smell. YMMV.

(10-18-2012, 09:12 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Do not drip water on self using the synthetic.

Challenge accepted.

Start with a brush so dry it hardly causes ripples in the sink water. Start making a thick proto-lather but keep adding a few drops at the time at the bowl/mug/scuttle. Still, keep it fairly thick.
Paint it on the face, only after that dip the tip of the brush really short in the water (only the tip) and rub it in the lather on the face. Keep doing that till the lather get's shiny.
Good luck!

Teiste Wrote:Lee , I have used it with shaving soaps , and no problem either.

I only use soaps myself.

Quote:However, if you like silvertip badger better , then no debate or problem at all.Biggrin

I agree, YMMV and you don't have to toss your badgers, I just wanted to give it some love and hope people don't overlook them, so they know they don't only exist but can be great performers as well. But it's still a personal thing.

0 50
 10-19-2012, 02:45 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
El, what size Muhle do you use? Someday I would like to try one of these.

173 23,546
 10-19-2012, 03:16 AM
User Info
23mm and 21mm. The (edit my Muhle genuine silvertip is 19mm, I mixed them up. Is has such a nice bloom that it looks almost twice as big as the 21mm STF) 21mm is now my travel brush.
I am curious about the 25mm however. I think 23 is a nice balanced size.

0 50
 10-19-2012, 03:25 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, our friend Phil has this one in stock, so I might have to give it a try.

Product Description

The Muhle 31 K 252 features a new generation of artificial badger that has soft tips and good backbone (in contrast to earlier generations of artificial badger that tended to be a bit floppy). This is a versatile brush that can tackle hard soaps as well as soft creams effectively.

Approximate dimensions:

Knot: 21 mm

Loft: 52 mm

Handle Height: 47 mm

Overall Height: 99 mm

Product of Germany

173 23,546
 10-19-2012, 05:02 AM
User Info
Sorry I edited the post before your response, I have a 19mm chrome handled genuine silvertip, also from Muhle with such a bloom it's like it's almost twice as big somehow then the 21mm STF.
I have a 21mm faux ivory Silvertip Fibre and a 23mm faux horn Silvertip Fibre.
I would go with a 23mm or even a 25mm STF.
I feel the 21 does perform well, but since you possible use it every day or at least a lot it's the little differences and weak points that can become a annoyance.
IMO The 21mm is a GREAT, FANTASTIC travel brush, it's good for home use but I really feel you would be more pleased and satisfied with a 23mm or 25mm.
I forgot which of the shaving forums had a test with 23 and 25 mm.
Both performed very strong with both bowl and face lathering and both soap and cream lathering, however the 23mm was supposedly slightly more balanced.
However, since it's such a personal thing I would go with what you normally prefer in a brush. If it's 22mm I would go with 23 STF. If it's big brushes like 28mm I would go with 25mm.

0 50
 10-19-2012, 06:13 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
They are really good brushes till you have an issue with one of them. At least in my experience Muhle and Quality don't belong in the same sentence.

116 3,804
 10-19-2012, 06:20 AM
User Info
(10-19-2012, 06:13 AM)Dave Wrote: They are really good brushes till you have an issue with one of them. At least in my experience Muhle and Quality don't belong in the same sentence.

Muhle is known on all boards for it's quality, it's their strongest point. They actually use precision machinery also used in the jewel industry.
In general everything with their name on is high quality, brushes and razors. However every brand have flawed products escaping quality control from time to time (qc is very strict with Muhle).

0 50
 10-19-2012, 06:23 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Muhle's known to me as a shoddy company who doesn't stand behind any of their products. I will never own another Muhle Product.

116 3,804
 10-19-2012, 06:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Dave, what did you have a bad experience with, razor or brush. I've owned several of the 89 series razors and found all of them to be of the highest quality.

173 23,546
 10-19-2012, 06:51 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
It was a brush Johnny.

116 3,804
 10-19-2012, 07:25 AM
User Info
I'm sorry to hear that. I do believe you, whether they have quality products or not.
What was wrong with the brush?
Where they of opinion the faulty brush was your fault?
And if so, what was there reason?
Or did they simply ignore your request for honoring the warranty?
If it really was a quality issue, like heavy shedding, and not something like you submerging it in scolding hot water every day
then I can understand why you would not want to try another of their products.
I have only heard 2 strong complaints about Muhle so far yet tons more about Merkur, yet Merkur still get lots of love.

0 50