10-20-2012, 08:29 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Ever since I started wet shaving, I have been curious about the Boots Shave Stick. Unfortunately I could never find it for sale anywhere. Teiste had heard about my curiosity and brought a stick with him when he visited my shop in late July.

I had put the stick in a "good place" but could not find it until yesterday when I received a new shipment of office furniture. I packed it up and tried it out for the first time this morning.

This is actually a very good stick. Although it is not a tallow-based stick, you would never know it (sodium palmate and Potassium Palmate are the first two ingredients). It lathered as well or better than the Wilkinson and Palmolive shave sticks and I enjoyed an excellent shave.

Many people have complained about the scent of Boots Shave Sticks. The scent is a bit odd but I do not find it offensive. I would describe the scent as smelling a little bit like you are back stage at a Willie Nelson concert or wondering around Venice Beach when the "doctor" is in. It is not my favorite scent but it is far better than the "bug bomb" smell of Arko.

Thank you Teiste. Although it took me awhile to try the Boots Shave Stick, it is a keeper.

45 16,274
 10-20-2012, 10:56 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for the review Phil. I've never used a Boot's product before but I have purchased some of their products for my wife after seeing something on the leisure guy's blog. They say it's the only serum for women ever proven to actually make a difference one the face.

45 3,955
 10-20-2012, 11:31 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Based on the scent, this stick may also ward off Glaucoma. Cool

45 16,274
 10-20-2012, 12:17 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I don't know about it preventing glaucoma, (God forbid) but I like the scent and the performance. I still prefer the Erasmic or Palmolive sticks, but the Boots is pretty good.

3 2,561
 10-20-2012, 12:39 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Both the sticks and the shaving soap puck are very good indeed.Even better than the Culmak soap.The scent could be odd for some , but not "offensive" , as you have said.
The lather is quiet good, thick and slick.Yes, for less than a pound , is a great stick.
Is that a lightbox , Phil?

86 7,123
 10-20-2012, 12:57 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-20-2012, 12:39 PM)Teiste Wrote: Both the sticks and the shaving soap puck are very good indeed.Even better than the Culmak soap.The scent could be odd for some , but not "offensive" , as you have said.
The lather is quiet good, thick and slick.Yes, for less than a pound , is a great stick.
Is that a lightbox , Phil?

Yes...without the lights. Biggrin

45 16,274
 10-20-2012, 01:13 PM
User Info
I've used this a number of times. Smells a bit stange. Lathers well enough though.

My case now has a Wilki stick inside.

7 1,179
 10-20-2012, 02:23 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
IMHO the Boots stick is a lot better than the Cool Cologne cream which is also made by Boots. This cream lathers good, but it has a lousy, cheap cologne scent, and although it says it has menthol, you can barely feel it. The skincare is to me, non-existant. Here is a photo of the cream.

Attached Files Image(s)

3 2,561
 10-20-2012, 03:50 PM
User Info
Phil, wow, what a description of the scent! You should see if they will put that on the tube, itself. Hee hee.
i highly doubt i will be trying it with a scent like that. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 10-20-2012, 04:12 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-20-2012, 03:50 PM)celestino Wrote: Phil, wow, what a description of the scent! You should see if they will put that on the tube, itself. Hee hee.
i highly doubt i will be trying it with a scent like that. Hee hee.

You have heard of Tabac...this is more Ganjac. Laughing1Hmm

45 16,274
 10-20-2012, 04:19 PM
User Info
(10-20-2012, 11:31 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Based on the scent, this stick may also ward off Glaucoma. Cool

Phil you should take one for the team and grate it up and try it in a hookah Smile Let us know how it goes.

2 697
 10-20-2012, 05:00 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have never had any luck with shave sticks. The closest I have managed to get with a workable lather is Boots.

I agree with Jeff on the Boots Cool Cologne shaving cream. There is better out there.

2 11,211
 11-09-2012, 01:24 PM
User Info
A friend in the UK sent me a Boots stick and I tried it for the first time this morning. I have no idea what the scent is, but it's pleasant, not strong, and not offensive at all.

But it was a great performer. It's a keeper. It lathers easily and I got a huge amount of ultralather. Maybe someday I'll grate it and put it into a bowl, but not just yet. I'm trying to free up bowl space in the cabinet. Right now the stick fits in the cabinet where the bowls aren't.

The preformance of the Boots was quite a lot like the deVergulde Hand tablet.

One thing I didn't care for was the stick packaging. IMO sticks really shine for travel. The stick cover should be retained by the base. All it would take is a raised lip on the cover and corresponding places to hold them on the base. The way the cover is now, nothing holds it there but gravity.

32 6,308
 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(10-20-2012, 05:00 PM)freddy Wrote: I have never had any luck with shave sticks. The closest I have managed to get with a workable lather is Boots.

I agree with Jeff on the Boots Cool Cologne shaving cream. There is better out there.

Freddy, I heard that the Cool Cologne cream may have been discontinued - ver darf is hubn? (Who needs it!)

3 2,561
 11-14-2012, 02:16 AM
User Info
I have the Boots shaving stick, the shaving bowl and the shaving cream. Bought them last year, during a trip to England, among other stuff.

The Cool Cologne cream (the one featured in Jeff's photos) is average, at best. The shaving stick is nice, works quite well but nothing to write home about.

The real star of those three items is the shaving soap bowl. It has a different formulation than the shaving stick, and although the scent is somewhat generic, the performance is very good! (the ingredients list of the Boots shaving bowl is strangely similar to Gold-dachs Spezial, but hey, don't tell anyone)Biggrin

2 5,527
 11-14-2012, 01:59 PM
User Info
I actually like the scent of the boots stick myself.

one thing that's annoying is the lack of places to hold the stick without getting your hands wet and filled with soap when the water runs down the sides of the stick from dipping the tip in water. I think when I last used it, I had the entire stick slip out of my hands into a sink full of water. Shy

40 5,830
 11-21-2012, 01:46 PM
User Info
I haven't tried the Boots shave stick but I have used the soap and cream, both courteous of a UK member. The cream was ok, just nothing special. The soap was good-very good and something I would replace if I could get it cheaply. The scent was pleasantly inoffensive.

0 500