10-20-2012, 08:36 AM
User Info
Here is a simple straight razor stand I built to keep at least a few on hand in my bathroom. I don't think my wife appreciated razors laying all over the place.
With this I can easily pick them up and move them when the grand daughter comes over as well. And it takes up little counter space which is at times a premium.
Not all razors will fit because of the design of the piece though with each tail captured in the top it does keep them from falling out if bumped.
I'm making another that will replace the top piece with open slots where any razor regardless of size will fit.
This is handy as I usually have several razors that I'll use at any given time where I'm testing edges etc.and this keeps them at hand.
The picture of the razors is approx. a third of my current collection.

0 772
 10-20-2012, 09:18 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Very! nicely done Thumbsup

Did you turn the wooden pieces yourself?

What about the centre metal piece, did you make it yourself or...?

And that's a beautiful collection of straight razors.

23 1,872
 10-20-2012, 12:22 PM
User Info
Yes, I turned the pieces out of Mahogany. The center chrome tube is a simple toilet supply line. The top is a drawer pull screwed on to a threaded rod hidden inside the chrome tube. Both the top piece and the bottom piece are just drilled to accept the tube a quarter inch or so,, and a smaller hole to allow the threaded rod to pass through. A nut inset into the bottom of the piece holds it all together. So,, I can break it all down if I want to.
It's the same way I built these.
A magnet holds the brush.

0 772
 10-20-2012, 01:17 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Thank you for the pictures, you do beautiful work. Congratulations! Now I no longer happy with my test tube stand. Sad

16 545
 10-20-2012, 02:02 PM
User Info
That's a nice looking stand, and it appears efficient too. Thanks for sharing your work.

184 12,003
 10-20-2012, 03:59 PM
User Info
Cool! Nice work!

32 6,309
 10-20-2012, 05:41 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(10-20-2012, 12:22 PM)mycarver Wrote: Yes, I turned the pieces out of Mahogany. The center chrome tube is a simple toilet supply line. The top is a drawer pull screwed on to a threaded rod hidden inside the chrome tube. Both the top piece and the bottom piece are just drilled to accept the tube a quarter inch or so,, and a smaller hole to allow the threaded rod to pass through. A nut inset into the bottom of the piece holds it all together. So,, I can break it all down if I want to.

Hi

Thank you for the explanation Thumbsup

You produce some beautiful work, very! nice indeed...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 10-20-2012, 07:22 PM
User Info
Wow, that is some amazing work and what a collection! How do you find the time to use them all?!

75 20,883
 10-21-2012, 07:10 AM
User Info
Celestino,
This is about a third of my straight collection. I have a long rotation period!
This too doesn't include my DE collection where it is in the 125+ range.

0 772
 10-21-2012, 07:30 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That is absolutely stunning work and ingenuity.

173 23,538
 10-21-2012, 08:27 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
You do use your head and hands to great advantage! Very nice jobs of work, artistic, and practical too!
~Richard

8 1,190
 10-21-2012, 09:12 AM
User Info
When I said 'these' this is the photo I should have shown. The one on the left was my first piece built when I got into wet shaving. The center is just a brush stand held with a hidden magnet.
The brush pictured in the ivory holder is something I made as well. The slot I made in the holder matches the shape of the brushes handle.I make the acrylic too.

0 772
 10-21-2012, 09:31 AM
User Info
Wow, that is a majorly impressive straight collection. Having been bitten by the straight razor bug about a month ago, I'm quite envious. This pales in comparison to my humble collection of 6.

Where do you find all these? I've been scouring ebay and the antique stores for one with blue scales...

1 94
 10-21-2012, 09:52 AM
User Info
(10-21-2012, 09:31 AM)dashmaverick Wrote: Wow, that is a majorly impressive straight collection. Having been bitten by the straight razor bug about a month ago, I'm quite envious. This pales in comparison to my humble collection of 6.

Where do you find all these? I've been scouring ebay and the antique stores for one with blue scales...

I restore most of my razors. As far as blue scales I have one with mint factory blue scales that is just amazing ( translucent in the upper right box, not very visible) as for all the others I make my own acrylic in order to scale them any way I want.

As far as finding them I haven't used ebay. I find them local, get tips, etc. Usually by them by the dozen or more at stupid prices.
Hopefully this week I'll be able to scour a collection of 200+ to find more.
I'm working on building a 365 day set. Mine don't come up very often in rotation.
I can post the blue ones if you like. Don't forget,, my collection was at 6 pieces at one point. This stuff takes time. I've been at it almost 2 yrs. now.

0 772
 10-21-2012, 11:32 AM
User Info
two years! Wow, that is a short time to collect and restore your straights, and collect over 100 DEs. Hee hee. You surely are a busy lad. Amazing work, again.

75 20,883
 10-21-2012, 12:12 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Fantastic woodworking and very clever design.

100 12,444
 10-23-2012, 03:04 PM
User Info
Just stunning! Cool

0 63
 10-23-2012, 04:31 PM
User Info
I think you need to make a lazy susan rotating display holder for straights or a pyramid of telescoping wooden rings to hold straights. There definitely needs to be something for a person with more than 7 day set. I have 63 or so straights and have some in a jewelry box, some a cigar box, some in a toothbrush holder, etc. I'm running out of ideas. I have the rollup cases but it's not like having a handy display.

21 1,476
 12-10-2012, 04:45 PM
User Info
Well, it becomes apparent that you just did not stumble on to your skill at restoring razors....you are a craftsman at whatever you do. The stands are amazing and I am sure you could show us a lot of other things around the house that you have turned your talented hands to. I would be the first to admit I do not have this skill. I do not have the patience, tools, know how and artistic vision to do what you do. Keep it up. Not that I can't enjoy it vicariously.

51 304
 12-10-2012, 05:03 PM
User Info
Things seem to go well for me.
Here , if you look into the gallery, or anything under Mark, or Mark 2 you can see examples of my regular work
http://www.woodcarvingblog.wordpress.com

http://www.woodworkingstudio.net

fun stuff.

0 772