10-20-2012, 10:43 AM
User Info
NOTE: Someone had PM'd me a while ago, offering me some of his strange razors, so that I could review them. I had to decline at the time, because I was moving, but now I'm settled again, and have some time for some more razor reviews. Please PM me if you want to have your razors reviewed. Smile

This is the sixth in a series of posts about razors that you don't really hear about on the forums.

Here are the other reviews:

1) Gladweg De Luxe
2) Henso DE razor
3) Gladweg Push-Button
4) Engels DE
5) Sesam Super-Slant

Barbasol razors are not all that strange on the forums. There's a good chance that most people have heard of them. However, most of the information out there is on the Barbasol 'floating head' razors, where the blade is held off the comb.

Here are a couple of pics of a 'floating-head' Barbasol that I had a while ago:

[Image: IMG_5193.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5194.jpg]

That is a lovely razor, heavy, aggressive and really nice to shave with. However, you seldom see any reviews of the 'regular' or 'non-floating head' Barbasol.

I happened to find one a while ago, and I've been using it for months. Here's my review of it.

In the first place, this is a lighter razor than its big brother. It has a bakelite handle, and a metal head.

[Image: IMG_20121020_141442.jpg]

The plating on the head is the same as on the floating head Barbasol, and it's prone to plating damage. The head and 'comb' looks similar to the floating head Barbasol as well. However, the blade is held close to the comb, unlike the other one.

This doesn't make the razor mild, however. It is milder than its big brother, but it's still pretty aggressive.

[Image: IMG_20121020_141453.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20121020_141509.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20121020_141422.jpg]

One thing I like about these razors is that the tabs on the blades are covered up without making the head bulky. This is a nice touch.

The grip on the handle is really nice, and I like the fluted handle in general, as well as the understated 'Barbasol' logo on the bottom of the handle. The razor is not marked anywhere else.

The razor has a two piece construction, and a pretty nice balance and heft to it. It's not heavy, but it still feels substantial.

The shave (as mentioned before) is a refined aggressive shave. It will bite you, if you're careless, but it isn't totally crazy. The aggressiveness comes from the fact that the blade edge extends out over the comb of the head by a significant amount. So there's a lot of exposed blade, even though it's otherwise close to the base plate.

I find that this is a smoother shaver than the floating-head Barbasol. It's certainly a nice shaver.

37 1,731
 10-20-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
Yohann, thanks for the review!

74 20,796
 10-21-2012, 07:12 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
If anyone is interested there is one of these razors on ebay right now. 1 day and 6 hrs left. No bids yet with the opening bid at $25. The razor looks to be in good condition.

45 3,955
 10-21-2012, 06:08 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I recently snagged one of these off the bay for a great price, and I have used both this and the floating head version back to back. I agree with Yohann's review. It is not a mild shaver, yet not quite as aggressive as its heavier sibling. Refined aggression is a great way of putting it.

I believe the heads are die cast zinc. So they can be prone to deep pitting and are more easily bent. So be careful with them.

43 1,682