10-20-2012, 03:08 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I finally had some success with a straight razor today! After much help from MileMarker60 and discovering my W&B wasn't nearly sharp enough, as well as another issue with the razors heel, he loaned me a cheap, but effective Gold Dollar which I finally had a chance to use. I whipped up a slick and chilly lather with Jabonman Lima-Pimienta mentolado soap and went at it. The blade was nice and smooth and cut very easily. I did two passes, once WTG and once somewhat ATG. While not perfectly smooth, I think I did pretty well for my first real attempt! I had a hard time around the chin though, very hard to maneuver the razor there. Speaking of, the straight was just plain awkward in my hand, but I know that will change with time. I managed to get away with only one little nick and minimal irritation, but most importantly, I came away with confidence! I can actually do this!

Some questions though.

Any tips for working around the chin?
How many passes do you normally make with a straight razor?
How do I get right under my nostrils? Seems even tougher than with a DE.
My face is drier than normal following this shave, is that odd at all?
I did the whole shave using my right hand, which led to some hard to see points of the shave. Should I try and be more ambidextrous with a straight razor?

And to those still trying, you can do it!

35 1,732
 10-20-2012, 04:25 PM
User Info
Anthony, congratulations, my friend.
The only thing i can help you with is to use both hands as it will make the shaves easier, in my opinion. Unless you want to start using a Kamisori, which are even harder than a western straight, i would go with two hands.
To get under the nostrils, you can lift your nose, or move it to the side and use the tip of the blade. However, you may want to hear from the more experienced shavers. Hee hee.
i have never noticed a drier face after a straight shave.
Continued success!

75 20,883
 10-20-2012, 04:51 PM
User Info
Any tips for working around the chin?
Practice. Tilt your head up. Use a higher angle than you think is necessary. Mostly practice.

How many passes do you normally make with a straight razor?

How do I get right under my nostrils? Seems even tougher than with a DE.
Use the scoop method. Sort of like scooping ice cream, decrease the blade angle as you clear the nose. No other way around it really.

My face is drier than normal following this shave, is that odd at all?
Maybe.

I did the whole shave using my right hand, which led to some hard to see points of the shave. Should I try and be more ambidextrous with a straight razor?
Being ambidextrous certainly helps. But is not necessary. You can hold the razor differently with your right hand to create the same angle you would use if you had used your left.

9 2,988
 10-20-2012, 05:26 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Congrats, it'll just get better and better.

12 743
 10-22-2012, 11:02 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Anthony

Good to hear you enjoyed the experience this time around and have came away with confidence Thumbup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872