10-21-2012, 12:37 AM
User Info
Well this is my first post on the shave nook, so far this has been a fantastic and informative site. But the nitty gritty so to speak is my new razors, pun literal and intended. I've picked up an Zartina and a Frost cutleraly at an antique shop close to my neck of the woods. They are in no way shave ready and I do not poses the proper equipment to get them there, so in short I would like some information on what to do or possibly enlist the help of the many capable gentleman on this site. Also if y'all happen to know anything about these blades that would be greatly aprciated as well.

Attached Files Image(s)

0 40
 10-21-2012, 01:19 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Nice catch! They certainly look usable to me.
I would give them a wash with some dishwasher and a toothbrush and let the blade soak in some 70% alcohol.

If you don't have the honing equipment, send them out to get honed. The Frost looks a bit 'smiling' to me, but I'm sure a honemeister (many to find on this site) will have no problem at all honing them.

5 447
 10-21-2012, 06:01 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Welcome Aboard the Nook StrattDaddy!
[Image: attachment.php?aid=5985]
There are definitely some folks who can help you find a honemeister.
Where do you reside?

Biggrin

9 1,684
 10-21-2012, 08:38 AM
User Info
Welcome aboard!

It is certainly not recommended to try to sharpen ebay/antique shop specials without prior experience. They can be very tricky.

Professional sharpening can be had. There's also people who volunteer their services.

Not sure what the top one is though. Kind of looks like it might be a display piece or interesting razor. One of the two.

9 2,988
 10-21-2012, 09:04 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
A big hello and welcome to the Nook

1 3,507
 10-21-2012, 09:21 AM
User Info
Thanks fellas I'm from spring Texas just a little north of Houston and south of the Woodlands. I've been using a dovo shavette with Gillette and Astra blades but I'm eager to get into actual steel razor shaving. I feel this is a great place for info thanks for the warm welcome!

0 40
 10-21-2012, 10:22 AM
User Info
Also I'd like some info on good straight razors for a decent price I've tried amazon but got boned when I bought the American pro 150.

0 40
 10-21-2012, 10:33 AM
User Info
Depends what a decent price is. Gold Dollars are the cheapest good quality razor I would recommend, but they need sharpening before use. Still, even if you pay $30 for sharpening, they're still much cheaper than a Dovo, which is the next step up I would recommend. Nothing but mediocre experience with Giesen & Forstoff or Fromm (which are basically the same razor IMO).

9 2,988
 10-21-2012, 10:36 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Really depends on what you want. New or used?
Dovo or Thiers-Issard seems the way to go when you want a new razor. They can be had from $70 to $500.

Used blades can be had in all price categories. I would suggest you get one that is shave-ready. I don't know if it is allowed to name a few vendors here that are not part of the forum, but try google and you will find several sites who can sell you a complete kit (razor, strop, manual) for under 70 dollars.

Again, YMMV, decide if you want a new or used blade and follow that route.

5 447
 10-21-2012, 10:46 AM
User Info
Thanks a bunch guys anybody know a good honemiester?

0 40
 10-21-2012, 11:29 AM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook and good luck with the razors.
There are a few lads here who know how to hone.

75 20,883
 10-21-2012, 12:50 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Hello And a hearty welcome to you!
~Richard

8 1,190
 10-21-2012, 03:11 PM
User Info
Glen Mercurio of gemstarcustoms.com is excellent at honing and restoring. Lynn Abrams of straightrazordesigns and forum site straightrazorplace is another excellent person for honing. I've sent at least a dozen razor for honing to Glen and 2 for restore. Wonderful edges. If you go to badgerandblade or straightrazorplace you can find many people honing for free. Also, razorandstone.

21 1,474
 10-21-2012, 04:23 PM
User Info
Awesome stuff fellas thanks

0 40