10-21-2012, 04:22 AM
User Info
I've not seen much mention of Provence Sante, positive or negative, either here or on other forums. Info. about it seems quite scarce.

I've been using it lately and have come to thing quite highly of its performance. I find lather, lubrication and fragrance all excellent.

Anybody else use it? Like it? Don't like it? Know anything about it other than that it's French?

2 202
 10-21-2012, 04:57 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
I owned a puck of the PS Green Tea.

Nice scent, but only "good" performance. I have so many incredible performers that I had no patience for it and turned it into a shower soap.

13 599
 10-21-2012, 05:01 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I tried it once, but for some reason it did not agree with my skin.

173 23,540
 10-21-2012, 05:13 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I hate to blame the soap for something that could be operator error but I always seemed to get a lot of nicks with PS and PdP. It might have been the way I made the lather. For French soaps I like MdC unscented and Savon du Midi.

12 743
 10-21-2012, 05:14 AM
User Info
(10-21-2012, 04:57 AM)VT_Hokie Wrote: I owned a puck of the PS Green Tea.

Nice scent, but only "good" performance. I have so many incredible performers that I had no patience for it and turned it into a shower soap.

Matt, What's on your list of incredible performers? I'm shopping...

Jon

2 202
 10-21-2012, 10:17 AM
User Info
I find Provence Sante to be a great performer. Initially I didn't think I would like the scent, but it grew on me (Verlain). I liked it enough to buy another puck to have on hand.

32 6,309
 10-21-2012, 10:34 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I still use my puck of green tea and find it to be a very good performer. I was going to trade it after my first use but glad I kept it, I enjoy the scent too.

88 4,233
 10-21-2012, 10:45 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I used Provance, shea butter enriched. I enjoy the soap, performs well for me, pleasant crisp scent. Lathers up easily, provides both protection and slickness.

1 3,507
 10-21-2012, 11:33 AM
User Info
I have a puck of the Green tea I got from Bullgoose on clearance a while back ( Feb 2011 ), and I like it quite a bit. Very 'powdery' in the scent department, but it's not bad at all. I enjoy the shea butter in the ingredient list, and also the fact it is triple milled. In my water it produces a quick and thick lather that provides plenty of protection.

It sits in a category just under my top favorites.

0 252
 10-22-2012, 01:38 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Both Provence Sante are EXCELLENT shaving soaps.Palm Oil based and shea butter added , to make a truly exceptional soap , specially in the skin care department.Lathers very easily , more esily than Pre de provence or even L'occitane Cade.The lather could be super thick (more than the Cade too) but very slick.Also , both versions smells great , but I slightly prefer the Verlaine.Yes , truly a wonderful triple milled soap and very well priced too.

86 7,123
 10-22-2012, 03:07 AM
User Info
I think it's one of the better veggie soaps available. I had the Verlaine scented and it's a nice scent, not too strong.

0 372
 10-22-2012, 03:17 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen, I have used Provence Sante for a number of years and find it superb in every way. I mostly used the Verlaine version, which is named after the French poet Paul Verlaine — and who can go wrong with that? Good stuff, this.

132 2,614
 10-22-2012, 04:01 AM
User Info
(10-22-2012, 03:17 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen, I have used Provence Sante for a number of years and find it superb in every way. I mostly used the Verlaine version, which is named after the French poet Paul Verlaine — and who can go wrong with that? Good stuff, this.

Thanks for that reply Obie. I've wondered what Verlaine was but never thought to wonder who!

I just bought a puck of Green Tea also. I can barely tell them apart.

2 202
 10-22-2012, 04:54 AM
User Info
I need to grab a Verlaine when I use up the Green Tea. I really can't imagine not having one of these in my shave den.

0 252
 10-22-2012, 09:09 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Grande, totally missed your post about what soaps I like better than PS.

Long list, but here are a few

RazoRock / TFS croaps
RazoRock Artisan series / Cella
Calani
La Toja
AoS
Harris
MdC
Klar
Palmolive
Mike's
QCS

See the trend here? I find PS to be neck and neck with VDH Deluxe which is another good soap.

13 599
 10-22-2012, 12:40 PM
User Info
(10-22-2012, 09:09 AM)VT_Hokie Wrote: Grande, totally missed your post about what soaps I like better than PS.

Long list, but here are a few

RazoRock / TFS croaps
RazoRock Artisan series / Cella
Calani
La Toja
AoS
Harris
MdC
Klar
Palmolive
Mike's
QCS

See the trend here? I find PS to be neck and neck with VDH Deluxe which is another good soap.

Yup, I catch your drift. I'd not tried any on your list (except VDH that I know well, love the fragrance, so-so on the performance) until this week. Stopped in Pasteur's in NY and bought RazoRock Artisan Napolean's Violet, a product that I'm just getting to know. I like it...a lot.

This could become a RazoRock thread. I was overwhelmed by a shelf full of so many R-Rock varieties that I was mystified. I picked one by fragrence and ingredient list and left it at that. You could write a thesis on that one brand! I need to gain knowledge.

2 202
 10-22-2012, 01:37 PM
User Info
I have a puck that I bought off of Teiste a while ago that I haven't tried yet. As for the scent...it smells amazing.

40 5,830
 11-01-2012, 07:22 AM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
PS Verlaine is the only one ive tried and while im not crazy about the scent I found it to lather very well and make for a nice shave.

7 898
 11-01-2012, 07:37 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I love the Provence Sante Verlaine. I used it for yesterday's shave and the lather was rich, protective, and gentle on my face.

2 11,211
 11-01-2012, 12:49 PM
User Info
(11-01-2012, 07:22 AM)Deano Wrote: PS Verlaine is the only one ive tried and while im not crazy about the scent I found it to lather very well and make for a nice shave.

I'm quite intolerant of strong scents and PS Verlain is IMO quite strong. I was sent a free puck with an order, and I let it sit in the cabinet for months. Every time I opened the cabinet I was hit with the scent and it began to grow on me. After a time I unwrapped it and used it. Yes it's strong, but IMO not at all horrible. As it ages it also moderates a bit. Give it time and air. FWIW, quite a few soaps are that way... requiring of time and air, Klar Kabinett and freshly manufactured Cella come to mind.

32 6,309