10-21-2012, 02:15 PM
User Info
In response to my post of the Bamboo razor some seemed interested in the other Gold Dollars I've built for my collection. So here they are. Please excuse the number of posts.

This first one I call the "Phoenix" , the mythical bird that rose from the ashes. Just like this 'new' razor emerging from the lowly GD. On this as on all the rest the spines have been extensively reworked, file work done to the spines, shoulders removed , tails redone etc.
Also I made the acrylics for the inserts as well as the entire scales where shown. Here the scales are Rosewood with blood red acrylic inserts.
The image of the stylized Phoenix on the blade was done with acid.

This one I call the 'Reaper'. Here too the spine is reworked, the image done with acid, the acrylic scales done to resemble a radical razor in a cintered darkgreen/blackish color.

This one , done for sheer whimsy is my '57 Chevy. Of course I modified the spine to match the lines of the top of the car,, and you need fuzzy dice hanging from something. The toe of the blade is designed to look just like the fins on a 57 and I also have the tail light in the end of the spine. The blade was finished in a satin brush to mimic the insert on the car,and the edges were polished to represent the chrome.

As an accessory I made the shifter as well. I did it to resemble the rubber boot around the aluminum shifter ,a 4 speed in the knob. Just seemed to go with it.

This piece I call "Papillon" ( butterfly) Here again, the new razor emerging as a nicer version of the original,, much as a butterfly emerges from a cocoon.
The scales are Pink Ivory with cocobolo inserts along with an inlaid Mother of Pearl butterfly which is the same shape as the stylized acid etched design on the blade. The spine is also the same shape as the profile of both butterflies.
Here I added thumb jimps in addition to the other blade modifications.

0 772
 10-21-2012, 02:31 PM
User Info
Impressive!

Do you just use the 100s? I don't see a point in you buying any of the better ones since it seems you basically use it as a blank. Biggrin

9 2,988
 10-21-2012, 02:34 PM
User Info
Next up is a total spoof.
I used acid to imitate a Damascus blade. The spine was reworked into the shape found on some Friodurs. So I call this one "Fauxmascus Fauxridur"
Here too I made the acrylic scales in shades of grey and black streaks to echo the blade material.

And the last is called "Ebony on Ivory". Macassar Ebony is carved to appear as if it was cut to reveal Ivory underneath. The tang was ground and covered in ivory in a bread knife style. The wedge was designed to balance the opposite end being in ivory, and cut to echo the design on the spine.
I also made up some decorative washers since this piece is a bit more elegant looking than the others.

0 772
 10-21-2012, 02:39 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
This is mind boggling, human talent never cease to amaze me. Every one is a work of art!

88 4,233
 10-21-2012, 02:45 PM
User Info
And naturally they needed a display case as well as an original GD so when I display them you can see the differences from the original piece.
I made it from Mahogany with dovetails holding it together. Each inset is custom carved to hold each razor as each profile, depth etc. was copied.
And the gold leafed incised carving's meaning? Well, all six razors function just as they should where a shave is concerned,but the 7th razor doesn't really work ( orig. GD) so if it's a 7 day set you have to rest on the 7th day!

Thanks guys, I had a ball making them.
If I remember they are the model #66. And yes, I treat them as blanks. Although the process I use to sort through them, check the spines for straightness etc. is quite involved. I mike everything, check for straightness, thickness etc. as well as mock up fake scales to ensure centering and adjust that by removing stock from the shafts to equalize them. I don't just hack them up.

0 772
 10-21-2012, 03:06 PM
User Info
You're not just an artist, you're a magician.

21 1,477
 10-21-2012, 03:21 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Very nice, very creative, excellent work.

12 743
 10-21-2012, 06:21 PM
User Info
(10-21-2012, 02:39 PM)beartrap Wrote: This is mind boggling, human talent never cease to amaze me. Every one is a work of art!

(10-21-2012, 03:06 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: You're not just an artist, you're a magician.

+1 Wow, unbelievably, beautiful work!

75 20,883
 10-21-2012, 07:06 PM
User Info
Simply amazing!

Ever consider offering some up for sale?

1 94
 10-21-2012, 07:49 PM
User Info
(10-21-2012, 07:06 PM)dashmaverick Wrote: Simply amazing!

Ever consider offering some up for sale?
Thanks guys, I'm flattered!
As far as selling them these are for my collection. It's my 7 day set so to speak. Possibly in the future I may build some that I may offer. But at the same time I've also begun building razors from scratch where I've completed two so far. So it's a matter of modifying some GDs or building truly customs. For the time these things eat up, I'm not sure which way to go. How many would be interested in GDs? Even though the shaves are truly great as these can attest since I use them all vs. getting a basic razor.

0 772
 10-21-2012, 07:59 PM
User Info
I don't think most people understand how much time you put in and what the fair market value for the razor given your time input would be.

I would recommend making your own razors. You could even rebrand the Gold Dollars and say you made the razor through stock removal from blanks. Because that's basically what you did.

That way you could charge a fair market price for your time. Otherwise, the stigma of Gold Dollar can only hurt you.

That said, Seraphim used to sell a lot of his modified GDs. Not sure if it turned out to be worth his time or not though.

9 2,988
 10-21-2012, 08:04 PM
User Info
This is truely incredible work.
I am short of words...

6 808
 10-21-2012, 08:07 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
A47

Sorry, let me pick my jaw up from the floor. These are absolutely stunning pieces of work. That '57 Chevy set is just incredible, definitely my favorite. My grandfather has the car it is modeled after and you captured its essence perfectly.

35 1,732
 10-21-2012, 08:16 PM
User Info
I'm glad you enjoy them !

These were labors of love. Because I loved building them. Lets face it, some places charge $75.00 for basic Horn scales let alone the time I've put into these. Then the time it takes to work on tempered steel and have it come out hopefully somewhat decent. It's not the same as working on cold steel that hasn't been tempered etc.. The price I'm guessing would be just silly for a GD. But they do look cool I think. But could I command a price nearing the time it takes to build others comparable to these? I kinda' doubt it.

Sure, If I hit a GD with a dremel to make some grooves on the back, removed the shoulders and slapped some G10 ( which I'll never use) on them and call it done it's not coming out of my shop. But I do know others do it.

And I understand what you are saying regarding using the GDs and calling them my own.Essentially I have taken them to the point of being blanks and using them just for the steel. I don't think these really are GDs anymore but the fact remains , they still are. And this doesn't sit well with some people I'm sure. So could I put my stamp on them and call them my own? No.
Even though they have no real bearing on being a GD any longer because really ,, they aren't. Sort of a '32 Ford street rod has no bearing on what Henry Ford built how long ago. These are my Hot Rods!
And I am building my own razors now from scratch. So far a Kamisori with my own twist to building it, and a traditional western style razor.
I think my new ones are very cool as well.

0 772
 10-22-2012, 04:45 AM
User Info
At the moment I have 2 GD razors. They're pretty great shavers, which I'm pretty pleased of. I'd totally be interested for a couple custom GD's. I'd love me some translucent colored scales. Maybe an orange/black or purple/black for the O's & Ravens...

Again, simply amazing work. You have a true talent, Sir. Smile

1 94
 10-25-2012, 10:56 AM
User Info
Wow. I've never given a ton of thought about getting a straight, but if you ever decide to sell one of these beautiful razors or decide to start making some custom ones, shoot me a PM. These are works of art. Clap

129 6,685
 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM
User Info
They look a hell of a lot better than the Dovo I use. I have a GD and I sit there and look at it and I'm thinking I'd love to have it turned into that Papillon model.

0 372
 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thumbup
Great works of art you have there!

... how much time does it take for you to create your pieces that don't require a full make-over, for instance... something like the *butterfly* and the *phoenix*?

9 1,684
 10-25-2012, 03:54 PM
User Info
@ Wingdo, If you haven't given it a ton of though, and here you are lurking,, then just face it, you want one. There is nothing like a straight. Takes time for sure as well as a learning curve, but there is nothing like it.
@ Williams Warrior, with a GD,, you can turn it into anything your imagination ( given certain parameters of course) can come up with.
Funny,, with the limited 'real estate' you have to work with on a given razor it's amazing the ideas you can come up with for new designs. I just figure,, why not. They might not all be winners in some eyes but I think there all fun in some respect.

@ gijames, looks can be deceiving. Though they may look simple there are certain complexities in building scales , with inserts like them without any gap etc. that eat up time. It's not like cutting out some G10 and calling it custom. As far as time, I'm not really sure. I do them because I love 'em and expect to see a certain result. If it doesn't achieve that, I trash them. It's right ,, or it's gone.

0 772
 10-25-2012, 06:23 PM
User Info
Unfortunately imagination and artistic ability is not in my DNA. I'd put that Papillon up against any custom razor I've seen.

0 372