User Info
Ahhh loving dinner tonight
...kids helped with tortilla making

Attached Files Image(s)

9 1,684
 10-21-2012, 06:10 PM
User Info
Damn James, how about a little of the recipe.Dodgy

Home made Chile is sounding pretty good.

2 546
 10-21-2012, 06:15 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Recipe seconded! That looks absolutely delicious!

35 1,732
 10-21-2012, 08:28 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
 10-22-2012, 06:05 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
Looks delicious. And i´m a big fan of Mexican food and TexMex!

Did a Chili Con Carne 2 week ago, but with sliced Chorizo sausage as meat.

0 284
 10-22-2012, 06:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Johan, you're in Sweden and you know about TexMex. Amazing.

I love homemade chile

173 23,493
 10-22-2012, 07:24 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi James

That looks really! tasty Babeando

Do you deliver? Wink

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 10-22-2012, 07:29 AM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
(10-22-2012, 06:10 AM)Johnny Wrote: Johan, you're in Sweden and you know about TexMex. Amazing.

I love homemade chile

TexMex is actually very popular here in Sweden. I cant say for sure but i think in the rest of Scandinavia to! Smile
Tacoshells with stuff like minced meat or fried chicken, cheese and vegetables like tomatoes, onions,Sweet corn, chilis, salsa and strong sauces. Its a friday family Dinner here!

And if its a more "adult" Taco feast you´ll often find mexican beers like Corona or Sol and ofcourse: Tequila with salt and lemons.

Me and my lady eats this atleast 2 times a month!
Btw my parents gave me a Texmex cookbook a few years ago with authenic recepeices i plan to try out. Love this food.

0 284
 10-22-2012, 08:00 AM
User Info
This time of the year here in Vermont we use a combo of venison/pork/beef in our chili.

The woods are full of deer, the garden full of peppers, onions, tomatos and garlic.

(the snow blower is full of fuel, argh!)

2 202
 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
Dang! Is that a comal? You're really doing it right!

6 235
 10-23-2012, 08:50 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(10-21-2012, 06:10 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: Damn James, how about a little of the recipe.Dodgy

Home made Chile is sounding pretty good.

Smile
sure!
pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
about 3 lbs country style pork ribs
rinse the meat,
grab baking-ware pan, cover bottom of pan with 3-parts water, 1-part Dales liquid seasoning (dark like soy sauce) and fill the bottom to about 1/4",

light covering of black pepper, light covering of Chalula sauce (has a wooden cap and a distinct taste, not Tabasco!)
put pork in the pan close together, take same water/Dales mixture and cover top of pork to soak in the liquid, same Chalula and pepper lightly cover the top of meat.
cover with aluminum, shiny side towards meat.
Place meat in center-rack in oven for an hour

take pork out of oven, flip the meat over to get the other side near the aluminum.
lower heat to 320 degrees
put it back in the oven for another hour.

most important ingredient is only available *only* through Northern New Mexico... that is Hatch Green Chile (hot but very tasty!!!).. you want about 1 lb!!!
if you don't have access to that chile, you will have to substitute 5 cans of fire-roasted,peeled chiles from Walmart (diced) these are mild chiles...AND you will need to buy 6 large jalepenos.

to roast chiles, wash them and place on a tight-spaced rack device (or shiny cookie sheet), place in oven with BROIL set to high , rack should be lower-middle in oven. let them stay on one side for about 10 minutes... skin will brown and blister. Turn over to opposite side for about 8-10 more minutes to get the same effect (dark brown blistering)

get a platic zip-baggy ready to place the chiles in from the oven, seal the baggy, and place in *cold* water for about 10 minutes (grab some food safe gloves)

get your cutting board, and small pearing knife

peel the blistered skin (like a snake shedding, very light layer!!!) off the chiles, open chiles with pearing knife and remove the large veins.

grab a medium bowl, put all chile into the bowl, add about 1 cup water,
pulverize 3 good size cloves of garlic (pull them from the bulb), add to bowl

light pepper covering, and 1 tsp salt, stir contents

after pork has cooled a bit, pull it... not necessary for super shredding!!! just enough to have *chew* size portions

get a large pan (not a pot), and put pork in, chiles in.... cover with enough water to keep the *simmer* going over low-medium heat(may have to add very little water over time)

move on to other parts of meal while the pork chile steeps in its own juices!!! (I let mine stay on that heat level for about 2 hrs- while rice, tortillas are being prepared, beans are finishing up, but the beans take longest, and it creates a wonderful taste throughout)
mmmmmm

9 1,684
 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Thanks for the recipe, James. I can almost smell it through the computer screen! Wink

2 11,211
 10-23-2012, 03:36 PM
User Info
mmmm, love Mexican food!

most of my family in Texas is half German, half Mexican.

40 5,830
 10-23-2012, 03:39 PM
User Info
(10-23-2012, 11:01 AM)freddy Wrote: Thanks for the recipe, James. I can almost smell it through the computer screen! Wink

I can't wait for them to invent that technology. Biggrin

40 5,830
 04-07-2014, 05:11 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
It's 1.5 years later, and my kids are able to help out!

My son helped prep the stove items and monitor them. Later, he moved over to rolling the torts when my girl needed to go complete a homework assignment.

I give them instruction on what I do to prepare the ingredients, but the torts are in my hands until it is time to roll them... for now at least Wink

I am Blessed!
James

9 1,684
 04-07-2014, 06:06 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Yes, you are blessed. Smile What great looking children.

2 11,211
 04-07-2014, 07:26 AM
User Info
i agree freddy - but no wonder with that good looking father Biggrin

half my life ago i worked as a chef in a mexican restaurant. have not eaten that kind of food since. i'm inspired to do something with it now and i think i'll start with this recipe Cool

7 1,625
 04-07-2014, 10:57 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(04-07-2014, 06:06 AM)freddy Wrote: Yes, you are blessed. Smile What great looking children.

(04-07-2014, 07:26 AM)tonsorius Wrote: i agree freddy - but no wonder with that good looking father Biggrin

half my life ago i worked as a chef in a mexican restaurant. have not eaten that kind of food since. i'm inspired to do something with it now and i think i'll start with this recipe Cool

Thank you Freddy and Marius Biggrin

... truth be told, it is my wife that gives them their good looks, I just give them Mexican food skills Wink

9 1,684
 04-08-2014, 04:55 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Well, whatever your wife and you are doing, it's working. Winky

2 11,211
 04-08-2014, 05:08 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
James-You are killing me with this thread!!

I LOVE green chile! We get the Hatch Chile's here in Texas every year too. The main grocery chain also started carrying the line of canned Hatch sauces.

I don't have any pork in the freezer, but I am going hog hunting again in 3 weeks. Then it will be time for a batch of green chile!

Bob

4 2,376