10-21-2012, 10:39 PM
User Info
for you gents who have omnidirectional hair growth, do you shave in the direction that your hair grows in those spots where it's different from other parts of your face or do you go in one direction at all times?

for me, my neck hair grows in like 4-5 different directions. I normally shave my entire face from N-S for my first pass and then S-N for my second pass.

I think I might have to shave whichever way my hair is growing on my neck so I can avoid my troublesome areas, mainly to the bottom left and the bottom right of the center of my neck.

40 5,830
 10-21-2012, 11:53 PM
User Info
The hair on the lower parts of my neck grows straight up, and there is a section that grows to the right... I have to shave with the direction of the grain, otherwise there is blood. Especially on my neck.

2 362
 10-22-2012, 07:13 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Andrew

Once I finally (correctly) mapped the direction of hair growth on my face I ended up breaking my lower jaw line and neck area into 8 distinct shave zones.

Each zone is shaved in the correct direction (as best I can), the first pass WTG, 2nd pass XTG, then final 3rd pass a mixture of XTG and ATG.

My overall shaving experience improved immensely once I incorporated the above into my shaving routine, as did my skin in those areas...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 10-22-2012, 08:37 AM
User Info
(10-22-2012, 07:13 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi Andrew

Once I finally (correctly) mapped the direction of hair growth on my face I ended up breaking my lower jaw line and neck area into 8 distinct shave zones.

Each zone is shaved in the correct direction (as best I can), the first pass WTG, 2nd pass XTG, then final 3rd pass a mixture of XTG and ATG.

My overall shaving experience improved immensely once I incorporated the above into my shaving routine, as did my skin in those areas...

Take care, Mike

I guess I might have to do the same.

most of my face is N-S except for the mid to lower portions of my neck - that's when it gets all crazy.

40 5,830
 10-22-2012, 08:41 AM
User Info
Interesting thread. I actually cringe when I see shave vids of people shaving downward on the sides of the neck. I have to shave upward only in this area, or blood and irriation will follow.

2 97
 10-22-2012, 08:52 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(10-22-2012, 08:37 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I guess I might have to do the same.

most of my face is N-S except for the mid to lower portions of my neck - that's when it gets all crazy.

Hi Andrew

I highly recommend doing so...

Hair growth direction on my upper jaw line, cheeks, etc is pretty much N to S.

Hair direction(s) on my lower jaw line and neck area:
  • Lower jaw line: Right side W to E / Left side E to W / Centre N to S.
  • Right side of neck N to S.
  • Right side of Adam's apples area NW to SE.
  • Left side of neck N to S.
  • Left side of Adam's apples area NE to SW.
  • Adam's apple area S to N.
Good luck!

Take care, Mike

Edit: Corrected my left & rights Smile

23 1,872
 10-22-2012, 09:18 AM
User Info
Beard mapping is one of the best things I did for myself once I switched to traditional shaving. I probably should be paying a bit more attention to it myself. As another omni-directional whisker grower, my neck can definitely present a "hairy" situation. Winky

31 7,914
 10-22-2012, 01:41 PM
User Info
(10-22-2012, 08:52 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(10-22-2012, 08:37 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I guess I might have to do the same.

Hi Andrew

I highly recommend doing so...

Hair growth direction on my upper jaw line, cheeks, etc is pretty much N to S.

Hair direction(s) on my lower jaw line and neck area:
  • Lower jaw line: Right side W to E / Left side E to W / Centre N to S.
  • Right side of neck N to S.
  • Right side of Adam's apples area NW to SE.
  • Left side of neck N to S.
  • Left side of Adam's apples area NE to SW.
  • Adam's apple area S to N.
Good luck!

Take care, Mike

Edit: Corrected my left & rights Smile

I think I might shave tonight and be more cautious as to shaving WTG, even if I have to change directions on my neck, depending on how lazy I get as the day goes on.

40 5,830
 10-31-2012, 08:12 AM
User Info
(10-21-2012, 10:39 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: for you gents who have omnidirectional hair growth, do you shave in the direction that your hair grows in those spots where it's different from other parts of your face or do you go in one direction at all times?

for me, my neck hair grows in like 4-5 different directions. I normally shave my entire face from N-S for my first pass and then S-N for my second pass.

I think I might have to shave whichever way my hair is growing on my neck so I can avoid my troublesome areas, mainly to the bottom left and the bottom right of the center of my neck.

I have some hair on my neck that goes a little sideways but I just backshave anyway so it gets most of it on 1 pass

0 34