03-18-2012, 04:44 PM
User Info
Please note that this was originally written when the supply of FS Synthetics were not available. My impatience stirred some discoveries along the way.

Here is the article as of October 7, 2011 on another forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of you have expressed interest in the Frank Synthetic Shave brush covered in an earlier review and that you wished to obtain one or another one, which yours truly is one of the second group. Unfortunately for many weeks the brushes have been out of stock and I have been providing a status report with the vendor as to when a new supply would come in. As of this posting, the vendor is still out of stock.

I enjoy this brush so much that I wanted a second copy but with supply issues, getting one is difficult at the moment at the extremely wonderful price point that Frank brushes offered. Naturally, I decided to search the web to see if there were any suitable substitutes. After some searching, not only did I find a suitable substitute, I believed I found the exact brush. I mean the exact same one, with one minor issue. I found the knot, and only the knot. OH, KNOTS!

Well the knot can be placed in a handle. So I go and order the knot. After receiving it, I realized this would work out well with the correct handle. I have many donor handles but the problem is that it must be able to accept the size of the knot. Again, OH, KNOTS!

Let's discuss the knot. It is made of nylon and its appears to be ground down, or maybe even burnt, at the tips to make the ends soft. It is 23.5mm at the knot itself and the loft is 60mm high. Measured against the Frank Synthetic it is exactly the same in every respect. These images provide a view from the side and the top for perspective. I propped up the knot to get it within a reasonable equality with the Frank Synthetic.

[Image: 6848797240_f2915eb2b3_b.jpg]

[Image: 6848797260_a4153ed9e2_b.jpg]

After measurement and inspection, I chose the only handle that I had available that was large enough to modify to fit the knot. It was a lowly Burma Shave brush, which I have two or three around. The other handles could not be "widened" to accept a knot 3 to 5 mm wider due to potential damage. The Burma Shave brush was cheap enough so that if I messed up, I would not be out much. So the project begins with the donor brush.

I cut off the hairs of the Burma Shave brush. The stiff cheap boar hairs handled cutting like a 5 year old child who hates barbers and scissors and does not want a burr haircut. After about six or seven minutes with some old scissors, because you don't use the good scissors on items like this or they will become bad scissors, the hair was cut away. Now to the old knot base. Since I do not have the luxury of a shop or a lathe, I used my trusty drill and small bit for pilot holes and the larger bit for getting down to business. Again, the knot was more than what I expected. I drilled with the small bit to make pilot holes for what seemed to be 15 minutes. That base was rock hard. The large bit was then used to drill out a large opening for another 15 minutes of circling and removing and to my surprise the base fell into the hollow handle part way. It seemed to have enough clearance for the knot. The hole was still 20mm and so more was needed. I got out the Dremel tool and the rubber sanding wheel and placed a sanding circle on it. Again, I slowly ground down the brush to try to keep an even circle until it reduced in height. By doing so, the shape of the handle allowed for the hole to become 23.5mm and with a little final sanding the handle was made ready.

[Image: 6994920121_81873f58c9_b.jpg]

Now it was time to go get some clear soft form glue to fill in a large section of the handle at the top and the base of the knot. I used a product called E6000 because it sets up clear, completely waterproof and can be easily removed during the first 5 minutes to clean up any excess around the handle. It takes 24 to 72 hours to harden and it leaves a solid ring around the brush handle and knot to keep the water out. After curing the finished product is ready to be viewed and compared to the original Burma Shave Brush and to the Frank Synthetic Brush.

Here is the finished brush.

[Image: 6848797300_1b204043c3_b.jpg]

Here is a comparison to a Burma Shave brush.

[Image: 6994920161_f49e0c0387_b.jpg]

Here is a comparison to the Frank Synthetic.

[Image: 6994920175_4c187e69be_b.jpg]

Yes, the finished project looks like an old Ever ready with a bigger brush. It feels just like the Frank Synthetic. Now more than likely after completing this, the supplier of Frank Shaving Brushes will state that the brushes are back in stock. If so, excellent, however, I have my custom Synthetic today.

One more thing, in order to prevent and issue of stock and availability, I ordered 2 more knots in case I ever want to have a better custom made in the future. For right now, I am content with my Custom Synthetic that should last me for years to come.

Postscript: This has held up as well as the Franks Shaving Synthetic and behaves exactly like it as well.

1 2,827
 03-19-2012, 07:29 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
BTW, Ian Tang on eBay still has the synthetics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Synthetic-Hair-S...011wt_1163

10 1,858
 03-19-2012, 12:05 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
My friend,how would you compare the FS with the Body Shop?They look the same to me.
I used the Body Shop one and it was great again.For 12 bucks its a bargain.

86 7,124
 03-19-2012, 04:04 PM
User Info
(03-19-2012, 12:05 PM)Teiste Wrote: My friend,how would you compare the FS with the Body Shop?They look the same to me.

I have not had the chance to use one, but we agree that they look amazingly similar to each other. I am thinking from my little project that the knots are the same for many new class synthetic brushes in this price range.

1 2,827
 03-19-2012, 04:13 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-19-2012, 04:04 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(03-19-2012, 12:05 PM)Teiste Wrote: My friend,how would you compare the FS with the Body Shop?They look the same to me.

I have not had the chance to use one, but we agree that they look amazingly similar to each other. I am thinking from my little project that the knots are the same for many new class synthetic brushes in this price range.

It seems they are,but Im really happy with the Body Shop performance,so Im sure Ill get the FS soon.
Thanks,I really enjoy your post,theyre really good.

86 7,124
 03-20-2012, 09:29 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(03-19-2012, 04:13 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(03-19-2012, 04:04 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:

It seems they are,but Im really happy with the Body Shop performance,so Im sure Ill get the FS soon.

Hi,

I have the Body Shop brush and a custom re-knot using the "synthetic badger" from The Golden Nib (TGN). The TGN knot looks exactly like GDCarrington's knot and I like my synthetic brush a lot. My body shop brush is a bit less dense and thus a bit more floppy. So in my opinion they are similar, but definitely not identical.

0 911
 03-20-2012, 04:32 PM
User Info
(03-20-2012, 09:29 AM)bjorney Wrote:
(03-19-2012, 04:13 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(03-19-2012, 04:04 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: I have not had the chance to use one, but we agree that they look amazingly similar to each other. I am thinking from my little project that the knots are the same for many new class synthetic brushes in this price range.

Hi,

I have the Body Shop brush and a custom re-knot using the "synthetic badger" from The Golden Nib (TGN). The TGN knot looks exactly like GDCarrington's knot and I like my synthetic brush a lot. My body shop brush is a bit less dense and thus a bit more floppy. So in my opinion they are similar, but definitely not identical.

Excellent. Thank you for that information. That provides the answer to another suspicion of mine. Some of the knots such as TGN (which was used in the Burma Custom shown above) and Frank Shaving are exactly the same while the Body Shop uses the same fibers but in a knot that has less packing for the looser / flopper effect.

1 2,827
 03-30-2012, 12:31 PM
User Info
Now, I seem to be interesting in another synthetic. Decisions, decisions.

1 2,827
 03-30-2012, 03:22 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-30-2012, 12:31 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Now, I seem to be interesting in another synthetic. Decisions, decisions.

Which one?

86 7,124
 03-30-2012, 04:09 PM
User Info
(03-30-2012, 03:22 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(03-30-2012, 12:31 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Now, I seem to be interesting in another synthetic. Decisions, decisions.

Which one?

I have ordered two actually

One is an H.I.S. and another is the Parker. I had some mad money on Amazon and they were available. I hope to see them soon.

1 2,827
 03-30-2012, 06:08 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-30-2012, 04:09 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(03-30-2012, 03:22 PM)Teiste Wrote:

Which one?

One is an H.I.S. and another is the Parker. I had some mad money on Amazon and they were available. I hope to see them soon.

Dont you think that the Parker is the same than the FS but with a different handle?

And what does it means H.I.S.?

86 7,124
 03-31-2012, 03:22 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Teiste and GDCarrington

I have both of these brushes in my shopping cart at Shoebox (because I love their boar equivalents) and was wondering if you had any thoughts on them

Omega 290049. I will miss my Omega 10049 and was wondering if this is at the very least a decent replacement.
http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-968297324512...fpro4.html

Omega 90065
http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-968297324512...90065.html

116 3,804
 03-31-2012, 06:01 AM
User Info
(03-31-2012, 03:22 AM)itsmedave Wrote: Teiste and GDCarrington

I have both of these brushes in my shopping cart at Shoebox (because I love their boar equivalents) and was wondering if you had any thoughts on them

Omega 290049. I will miss my Omega 10049 and was wondering if this is at the very least a decent replacement.
http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-968297324512...fpro4.html

Omega 90065
http://store.yahoo.com/yhst-968297324512...90065.html

Those are the original white nylon brushes that really do not perform well in my opinion. The are stiff, stiffer than boar, hold less water than boar.
These fibers are the same as the ones in the $3 throw away brushes from Gillette India. These are the same as the syntex from Omgea I showed in the Franks Shaving Thread.

I would pass on those. There are better synthetics out there.

1 2,827
 03-31-2012, 02:00 PM
User Info
Great information, here! Thanks for your work.

75 20,883
 03-31-2012, 02:31 PM
User Info
(03-30-2012, 06:08 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(03-30-2012, 04:09 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(03-30-2012, 03:22 PM)Teiste Wrote: Which one?

Dont you think that the Parker is the same than the FS but with a different handle?

And what does it means H.I.S.?

I have just received the Parker and the knot is different than the FS. It is less dense, but the tips are much longer so it is some what softer than the FS.

The H.I.S. came in today as well. This is a bigger than the FS or the Parker (28mm knot 60mm loft 124 mm height). This will have more backbone because it is packed very tight. The tips are less soft than the FS, but this is more like a horse hair or very well broken boar brush. The tips are not hard just not as soft.

The H.I.S. now intrigues me on the aspect of a larger brush that may act more like a real fine boar.

Here is the website for the company that makes the H.I.S. (they sell through Amazon). Nowhere do I find any explanation on what H.I.S. stands for. It is a mystery to me.

http://fmtbrush.com/fmt/index.php/cosmet...brush.html

I hope to get to use these two brushes after I complete a long term test of another set of products sometime in the middle of this month.

1 2,827
 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Thanks for the tip on those two Omegas sir. I look forward to reading your impressions on the HIS brush as well. If it acts like a bigger boar, then it sounds like that one might be well worth a try too.

116 3,804
 03-31-2012, 10:47 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for the info about the H.I.S brush,but (and quote from amazon) :

Quote:One of a kind synthetic blend, Feels and performs like badger hair, Hand-made in the US

...dont know if I believe all that.

86 7,124
 04-01-2012, 03:17 PM
User Info
(03-31-2012, 10:47 PM)Teiste Wrote: Thanks for the info about the H.I.S brush,but (and quote from amazon) :

Quote:One of a kind synthetic blend, Feels and performs like badger hair, Hand-made in the US

...dont know if I believe all that.

To me on just physically inspecting it, it is much more like a horsehair brush in terms of softness and backbone than badger. One thing is for sure, they pack a lot of fibers into that 28mm knot. You cannot see down into the knot from the top down is it so thick.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will be able to get to use this one.
Just too many things going on right now.

1 2,827