10-22-2012, 03:19 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Pre-story note: What I describe is how I envisioned this new acquisition being used as soon as I saw it. It could have many uses, or none, it could even have a specific purpose. But here's my little tale...

A friend informed me last Friday that as she was clearing out an old ceramics manufacturer for liquidation, she came across an odd, wet shaving paraphernalia looking item that I might be interested in. She could't really describe it when I asked what it might be. A old timey scuttle? A razor stand? "No, sort of both," she said, "but not really, either." Curious and stumped, I just had to wait and see it with my own eyes.

Well, she brought it to class for me today and I finally got to see this.... thing.

[Image: SZ9Tyl.jpg]

Well, I like it! I had been considering a new razor stand lately, something that doesn't have a brush holder so I don't feel required to hand my brush upside down to dry.

Check, the new thing fits that bill.
But here's the bonus. I'm a distilled water shaver, so I let my brush soak in a mug that I refill every couple of days while I wash and prep my face. So can imagine a bit of clutter on my small counter top. Razor/brush stand, mug, soap dish, shaving soap, bowl (optional). Well, by some stroke of genius, whoever made this piece made a removable lid and empty chamber inside.

[Image: MjK10l.jpg]

While not perfect (the razor hole isn't large enough for my Fatboy) it is a pretty dang cool idea and will certainly get used. Luckily for me, I have an advanced ceramics class this spring and will probably take this design and form some improvements on it to make it the ultimate face-latherer's dream container with a platform for a brush to stand on, hold large enough for any DE razor OR straight razor. Heck, I could even mash some soap into the lid...

My ideas are flowing... what do you all think?

35 1,732
 10-22-2012, 03:35 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I like it. Nice find and nice friend.

173 23,505
 10-22-2012, 04:37 PM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
That looks really neat, I look forward to hearing how it works in use & what modifications you make during the redesign.

0 539
 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
I too, do the distilled water thing for my lathering. sure beats my measuring cup in the beauty contest. What a charmer !

0 1,291
 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
(10-22-2012, 03:19 PM)Tonality Wrote: ... Luckily for me, I have an advanced ceramics class this spring and will probably take this design and form some improvements on it to make it the ultimate face-latherer's dream container with a platform for a brush to stand on, hold large enough for any DE razor OR straight razor. Heck, I could even mash some soap into the lid...

My ideas are flowing... what do you all think?

I think it's an awesome idea Anthony - can't wait to see what you come up with. Put me on your list.

~Frank

18 271
 10-22-2012, 06:45 PM
User Info
Those are designed to hold a can of shave cream to help make your bathroom counter look nice and uncluttered

2 697
 10-22-2012, 08:47 PM
User Info
Great find, Anthony!

75 20,883
 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(10-22-2012, 06:45 PM)SteelTown Wrote: Those are designed to hold a can of shave cream to help make your bathroom counter look nice and uncluttered

Thank you! Now I know what it's actual purpose is! Too bad there isn't a single can of goo in the house anymore (not).

Fascinating, and interesting where my head went instead.

35 1,732
 10-23-2012, 08:02 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
Very interesting find. I'm interested to see what modifications you come up with from your ceramics class.

1 111
 10-23-2012, 08:11 AM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
Wow, that is neat-o

12 648
 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM
User Info
That's great. Congratulations.

184 12,002
 10-23-2012, 08:46 PM
User Info
That is a Robert Becker design. He makes some really interesting scuttles, bowls and razor/brush holders.
robertbecker.com if your not familar with his work.
Good luck with your modification.

That is a Robert Becker design. He makes some really interesting scuttles, bowls and razor/brush holders.
robertbecker.com if your not familar with his work.
Good luck with your modification.

4 13