10-22-2012, 06:49 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Future interviews with brush makers could maybe ask them to weigh in with their insights as to what effects, if any, that shave oil would have on their products. Let's get it straight from the horse's mouth. Maybe their opinions would differ depending on which materials their brushes were made from. I'd like them to be included in the discussion. Please answer our burning question: WHAT GIVES ?

0 1,291
 10-23-2012, 01:51 PM
User Info
I only use preshave cream, when I shave daily - since my skin is more sensitive, when I shave daily. When I have 2-3 days stubbles, even after a shower my skin will still be protected by my thick beard stubbles, thus I don't need a pre shave cream for protection - I will just spend 1-2 minutes extra time on massaging the shaving cream into my beard with my fingers before I start using my brush. This is also why I enjoy using a tube of some sore of shaving cream applied with my fingers directly to my beard area, and then apply some shaving cream to the brush and then start mixing it up on my beard area. Always give me a very nice comfortable shave.
For instance today I used Musga Real Oak Moss tube of cream directly added to my face with my fingers and then used some Penhaligon Opus 1870 shaving cream on my brush and then mixed that up in my beard area. Gave me a wonderful shave with a wonderful mix of these 2 excellent scents Cool

But I rarely shave daily - more often shave 3-4 times a week, especially in the winter season to let my skin rest - keeps my skin looking younger and more elastic, or so my GF tells me (she works in skin care/cosmetics)

I feel this question would be better placed in the shaving cream and soap section on this forum though, since the effect preshave-cream has on the shaving cream in my view is far more significant than the effect it has ont he brush itself.

YMMV

22 5,057
 10-23-2012, 04:14 PM
User Info
I don't use preshave oils but would be interested in the perspective of the manufacturers. I am aware of the issue regarding the possibility that these oils may be detrimental to a brush.

37 2,955
 10-23-2012, 04:18 PM
User Info
Is there a specific type of oil you guys are worried about?

9 2,988
 10-23-2012, 04:46 PM
User Info
I just noticed on their website that Simpsons has added a pre-shave oil to its list of products.

37 2,955
 10-23-2012, 10:32 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I dont truly think that using a pre shave oil could ruin your brush , but , I do rotate brushes everyday , so I need to finally find it out by myself.Actually ,that gave me an idea and its what Im going to do : use only one brush for the next week , or couple weeks.Its going to be tough , but since I use a several types of pre shave oils and gels , I will clearly see the "effects" of them on the badger hair.Now I need to choose the brush , and If Im going to be for that long using it exclusively , I would have to get one of my fav ones , to make this test to "enjoyable".

86 7,123
 10-23-2012, 10:40 PM
User Info
Unless it's some soap resistant oil(which I haven't heard of), oil should be broken up & washed away by the shaving soap. Technically it's emulsified & carried away.

If residue oil is left on the hairs, it should be able to be washed away with some test lathers.

That said, I'm not going to call the concern unfounded.

9 2,988
 10-23-2012, 10:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, pigs and badgers are oily animals to start with, so I don't believe oil by itself would hurt the hair. I guess if a person used to much oil and some how it worked its way down towards the knot, over time it might have some effect on the glue in the knot. But that would take one heck of a lot of oil over a very long period of time.

173 23,531
 10-24-2012, 02:25 AM
User Info
The only preshave oil that I would be worried about is AOS, its just gross ugh...

When I use my more expensive brushes, I use TBS preshave oil, that stuff is very light and doesn't cling to anything.

0 652
 10-25-2012, 11:52 AM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
I can't answer for any of the brush manufacturers, but can only respond from observation and experience. To my knowledge, brush manufacturers do not routinely offer shaving oils with their brush lines. Infer what you want.

Natural hairs are hollow and harder to clean because of that. Synthetic fibers are solid, and can withstand higher temperatures, making them easier to clean.

I have not found a need for pre-shave oil because I do a careful prep and use soaps/creams to achieve the beard-softening, cushioning and glide properties I'm looking for.

0 254
 10-25-2012, 04:54 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
(10-23-2012, 04:46 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I just noticed on their website that Simpsons has added a pre-shave oil to its list of products.

I saw that, too....kinda adds to the great mystery. They likely worked out a way to get the performance of shave oil in a formula that would not alter the performance of a fine brush. I'd like to hear their take on this one.

0 1,291
 10-31-2012, 02:31 PM
User Info
I can only offer a response from my and my family's experience in the trade. Oils don't affect the knot of a badger or boar brush - so long as the brush is cleaned regularly (as per norm).

Gary

0 213
 10-31-2012, 06:37 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks, Gary. That's all the info I need.

43 1,690
 10-31-2012, 07:50 PM
User Info
Interesting topic. i may never find out, personally, as i do not use preshave oil of any kind.

75 20,883